FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AO

Quote from: OzJohnnie on June 24, 2015, 03:43:11 PM
Quote from: AO on June 24, 2015, 02:54:53 PM
Watched a movie last night clearly written by Oles.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SppJIxjLnpM

I have literally just loaded that onto my phone. I'm looking forward to it now.

EDIT:  I watched the first half flying to Sydney this morning. Maybe I'm a troglodyte, but the dinner scene is the only good, unpredictable one so far.

EDIT: I finished The Sweet Season on the plane as well.  It was better than the movie, although it did put me the mood to smile at the hopelessly unaware Carleton jocks in Whiplash.
I don't think you could have found two more different "coaches" to compare on a single flight. 

Boys of Fall

Quote from: OzJohnnie on June 23, 2015, 07:35:28 PM
I opened The Sweet Season, which I haven't looked at for at least 10 years, over the weekend as an off-season time killer (my parents recently sent me a copy). I'm up to the Concordia chapter where the Johnnies got their season back after the loss to Bethel the week before. I had forgotten how much history and lore of St John's was in the book. It's a good read that should be undertaken every five years, I think. Ten years is too long a time between drinks.

I do have to say that it strikes me far stronger now than before, maybe because I now have two daughters in the teens, but there is a snowball's chance in hell that my girls will ever end up in a situation of dating football players. Particularly quarterbacks.
Good idea Oz, have the daughters stay away from the quarterbacks, have them look for a good ruckman.

BDB

Stopped by CSB and SJU today on way to Alex.  Big reunion getting cranked up. Thought of Bennie and the boys as college age there.  Even 57! It was beautiful. People thought I was alum but mainly I was lost. Did find tailgate area by the annex. Thought. I might see Johnnie Red! Just wanted to show my teens options they have.

faunch

Quote from: BlueDevil Bob on June 26, 2015, 08:35:21 PM
Stopped by CSB and SJU today on way to Alex.  Big reunion getting cranked up. Thought of Bennie and the boys as college age there.  Even 57! It was beautiful. People thought I was alum but mainly I was lost. Did find tailgate area by the annex. Thought. I might see Johnnie Red! Just wanted to show my teens options they have.

If my kid didn't have a softball tournament I likely would be in collegeville this weekend.  That or Henderson for Sauerkraut Days.

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

sjusection105

BDB, the options are in St. Joe....Sal's or The La Playette  ;)
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

faunch

Quote from: sjusection105 on June 27, 2015, 07:34:50 AM

Don't forget the Midway.

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

OzJohnnie

Quote from: faunch on June 27, 2015, 08:29:52 AM

Don't forget the Midway.

Mrs Oz and I used to visit The Red Door, I think. It was the metal/hard rock club with live bands in down town St Cloud. A bit of a drive but I do love my live hard rockin'.
[  

DuffMan

"Ryan" modeling for Macy's on Fox 9 this morning.  Mr. Irrelevant, correct?  ::)

A tradition unrivaled...
MIAC Champions: 1932, 1935, 1936, 1938, 1953, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

sjusection105

Quote from: OzJohnnie on June 27, 2015, 08:51:19 AM
Quote from: faunch on June 27, 2015, 08:29:52 AM

Don't forget the Midway.

Mrs Oz and I used to visit The Red Door, I think. It was the metal/hard rock club with live bands in down town St Cloud. A bit of a drive but I do love my live hard rockin'.
Oz, I bet your are thinking of The Red Carpet. There  are still puke stains on the floor circa 1987.......
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

carletonknights

hazzben

Quote from: DuffMan on June 27, 2015, 08:51:32 AM
"Ryan" modeling for Macy's on Fox 9 this morning.  Mr. Irrelevant, correct?  ::)

He's still as pretty as ever  :-*

SUMMIT!!!!!

Quote from: sjusection105 on June 22, 2015, 08:36:00 PM
Quote from: faunch on June 22, 2015, 09:06:55 AM
The Johnnies found themselves a gem of a football and basketball player in this Streit kid from Eden Valley-Watkins.

6"6" 230 lbs and moves like a gazelle. 

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1023928/highlights/204107385/v2

If I have my Stearns County family history straight (there are a lot of forks in the roads in many families) I believe he is a cousin of former Johnnie  All American DT Kyle Schroeder. He could be real good. I am very positive about this incoming class.
Gary & staff have been doing a real good job on the recruiting trail.
possibly on the maternal side...my top source of Stearns County genealogy is in assisted living in Albertville, thanks to developing stages of Altzies.  But I do know he is first cousins with a kid one SJU coach arrogantly claimed a few years back "couldn't be a DE here and would need to transition to OL and we figure that would take 2-3 years so we didn't pursue him"...who went on to be an All-American DE at MN and nearly made the NFL (as a DE)... yeah, he couldn't possibly make it as a D-III DE  (and I found out the coach's reason for making such an asinine statement was that the kid told him "no interest" in playing for him or SJU)
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

SUMMIT!!!!!

A provocative and articulate read, written by St. John's University President Michael Hemesath, fund its way into my IN box (thank you S Lois):

This past March, I, like millions of other sports fans around the United States, followed the NCAA Division I men's basketball tournament, also known as March Madness. The tournament had a special draw this year as the University of Kentucky entered the competition undefeated and it was the favorite to have the first undefeated season in nearly 40 years.
Interestingly, early in the tournament, a friend said to me, "I'm just not that into the tournament in the way I was when I was younger — mostly because of schools like Kentucky."
What he was referring to was the Kentucky model of success, which has been built in recent years on a "one and done" philosophy. "One and done" used to refer to a team that entered the NCAA tournament and lost in the first round, thus playing only one game and then being done in the tournament. Now that phrase has come to refer to exceptional freshmen basketball players who play in college for a single year before jumping to professional teams in the NBA.
Some teams like Kentucky, and even academic power Duke, have had incredible success with this model, but it does not generate much loyalty for individual teams as fans barely get to know their favorite players who are gone after a single season.
As a college president, what I find even more problematic and ultimately damning of the "one and done" model, is the complete decoupling of academics and athletics, making the term student-athlete an oxymoron. While I can hardly blame the incredible athletes who understandably choose to make millions of dollars in the NBA, the system also treats the players who are not quite of professional caliber (the vast majority) quite unfairly. Furthermore, the Division I big-money sports system generates cynicism about student-athletes and makes the notion that athletics and academics are compatible a joke.
Yet there are institutions where these two things are not incompatible. At St. John's University and the College of St. Benedict, we firmly believe that athletics and academics can go together and even be mutually reinforcing. As part of the NCAA's Division III, St. John's and St. Ben's and our peers in the Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference are filled with passionate student-athletes who truly compete for love of the game as there are no scholarships or other inducements to play. Our coaches might best be characterized as educators who care about the holistic development of their student-athletes, including their success off the court or field and ultimately in life.
St. John's legendary basketball coach, Jim Smith, recently retired after 50 years of educating young men on the basketball court to be successful — personally and professionally — long after they had left Collegeville. At St. John's last home game this year, dozens of players from Jim's first year all the way through his last class were there to honor Jim for all he had done for them. The loyalty of the doctors and lawyers and CEOs in the group was built on what Jim had taught them on and off the court that had played an important role in their personal and professional successes.
Jim Smith is the winningest collegiate basketball coach in Minnesota at any level, yet he never sought to move on in the basketball world for more money or prestige, preferring to stay and teach basketball and character at St. John's. Of his many successes and awards, one of the things that Jim is proudest of is the fact that only one of his basketball players in the past 50 years has failed to graduate with a degree from St. John's. Only one not done.
So if you don't find yourself quite as drawn to Division I athletics as you once were, consider coming out to Collegeville or St. Joseph and watch some MIAC student-athletes who will be going "pro" in cities throughout Minnesota and beyond as they use what their professors teach in the classroom and the lessons their coaches offer outside of it to make their communities and the world a better place.
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

OzJohnnie

Go Johnnies.  Doing it right.

Another weekend of upsets and unlikely results has gone just right for Hawthorn.  They are sitting in 4th position, one game out of second and three games out of first, and have had the results fall so that they play all the other top six teams over the next six weeks.  Time to sort the wheat from the chaff.
[