MBB: USA South Conference

Started by CNU85, March 16, 2005, 12:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNU85

Just read the all region teams. Brookman was robbed. But then again, the teams are based on players that were submitted by the school SID. Does anyone know (goose) if CNU sends names?  

Brookman should have made at least 2nd team. I admit I do not know enough about the 1st team players.

Pat Coleman

narch

porter and rhone named http://www.d3hoops.com/all-region/05/southmen.htm">all-region - i personally think that thomas was slighted, especially since ellis from m'ville was named 2nd team - i think their numbers match up very favorably, and while neither had a great game in the first round match-up, thomas certainly had a better game than ellis in a head-to-head situation - maybe ellis was nominated as a guard and thomas as a forward (although they both play the 3 spot)...there is always next year for seth

narch

as everyone who reads this knows, i don't like to make statements that can't be backed up by statistics - i give you the comparison between sidney ellis (2nd team all-region), chris rhone (3rd team all-region) and seth thomas (not all-region) - no question they are all close, but i personally think thomas' numbers are better than the other 2, especially when you consider that thomas is one of the best (if not the best) defensive players in the league and routinely guarded the toughest perimeter player each night - i also think strength of schedule should factor in...it stands to reason that tougher teams are tougher to perform against, and rhone and thomas played a much tougher schedule than ellis - in his defense, i heard that ellis played most of the season hurt (and in fact, didn't start 6 of the games he played), but that doesn't matter...performance on the court does
STATELLISRHONETHOMAS
PPG15.516.915.2
FG%0.4570.3960.461
3FG%0.3220.2650.348
FT%0.7370.7220.697
RPG4.45.76.5
APG2.13.22.3
TOPG1.44.32
BLK5932
SPG2.32.11.3
TEAM W/L22-715-1220-8

lastly, if there is a head-to-head match-up where the two players guarded each other, that should come into play - rhone and thomas were rarely matched-up in their hth meetings, but from what i've heard ellis and thomas were all over each other in m'ville - here is the line  
PLAYERELLIS THOMAS
PTS67
REB510
ASST20
TO 22
BLK13
STL21
FG2-72-8

i'll let everyone make up their own mind, and i'm a bit biased, but based on statistics alone, i'll take thomas AND rhone over ellis - i'm sure ellis is a GREAT player, and very deserving of the honor, but no question thomas is just as deserving, in my opinion

scottiedoug

Narch:  I am a little surprised at this from you...it has a faint CNU taint to it.  You might want to look in on the new discussion on the multiregion board about all-region/all-american selections (and spare me repeating what I posted there about statistics).

Ellis and Thomas played to a draw and I would like to have both of them on my team.  I saw Ellis for four years and have no doubt he deserves his honor....  Since I did not see all the others play, I refrained from writing a posting like yours but with a different point about Sidney getting cheated!

narch

doug - while i agree that stats don't always tell the whole story, how many of the all-region voters do you think watched thomas OR ellis OR rhone play to pick up the nuance of their games and notice the "little things"? most didn't...they looked at statistics and made votes based on statistics and reputation - truth be told, i'm not sure porter's "numbers" alone warrant a first team selection, but the kid is a beast who averaged a double-double for the season and had 13 in 28 games, and it helped that he was named usasac poty (as i'm sure being 2 time gsac poty helped ellis) - i'm not sure why pointing out statistical differences or similarities has a "cnu taint" to it (what DOES that mean?), but basketball is a game in which players are measured largely by statistics, like it or not - sure ellis plays in an offense that spreads the ball...so does thomas...in fact, like m'ville with 3, the monarchs had 4 players average double figure ppg this season - if you feel ellis is deserving of 1st team all-region, feel free to trumpet him...it only further enhances my claim that thomas should be on the team, 'cause there is no doubt in my mind that seth thomas is every bit the player sidney ellis is...the difference is, thomas still has a year of eligibility left, and i get to enjoy watching his game for another year http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>

narch

'85 - no offense to brookman, 'cause i'm a BIG fan of his game, but if the coaches who have watched him play for the last 4 years didn't think he was good enough for 1st team ALL-CONFERENCE, why should he be on an all-region team?

scottiedoug

narch:  Maybe it is unrealistic to designate first, second, and third team all-region players when as you say the voters have not had the chance to get to see the players very much.  I saw enough of Porter and Thomas to be convinced that they are fine players.  So is Ellis.  I probably would not trade Maryville's point guard the last two years with anybody in the region but he does not get much notice except when you see his contributions in energy, tempo, and attitude to go along with what can be measured by numbers.

Maybe it is a disservice in D3 to try to cut these teams so fine.

Goose_13

First of Second Teamers can be nominated for All-Region.  Not that Blake was slighted, I personally didnt think he would make All-Region in my opinion.

CNU85

Narch - guru of hoops -  

I thought (and that is such a dangerous thing for me to do) that the All-conference was based on best 5 players, not necessarily by position (i.e first team is not made up of 2 G, 2 F, and 1 C). however, I did think that the all region was based on making up a team. Of course, maybe it is right and then you can show me that it makes my thoughts about Brookman even less logical. But hey, that's ok - I have 2 teenage kids, so I'm used to being one of THE most stupid adults in the world!

narch

'85 - you are right in that all-region is 2 gurards and 3 post players , but if the order they are listed in the all-conf press release indicates number of votes (i think it does), the usasac coaches felt like brookman was the 4th best guard in the conference...again, i like brookman a lot, but it's hard to argue he's among the 4 best in the region if he's just 4th best in his own conference

here is the order from the original usasac all conf. press release  

First Team:
Sam Porter – MC
Seth Thomas – MC
Chris Rhone - SU
Rodney Blackstock – GC
Roderic Carey – CNU

Second Team:
Onyie Onunaku – SU
Kenny Johnson – FC
Blake Brookman – CNU
Lenny Hall – NCW
Sterling Williams – AU

narch

Mike Roberts

Congrats to Trinity.  Those of us from Stevens Point who watched them play the Pointers and also saw the Final Four in Salem all agree that Trinity was the second best team in the nation.  Rochester had a nice outfit but Trinity was better.  Since the Pointers also had a good game with Southwestern, we here in Wisconsin certainly agree that Texas was underrated.

narch

a few recruiting updates...the monarchs have a verbal from a pg who has been compared to brookman and they are close to finalizing a few big men - a 6'9" athlete, a 6'7" shooter from holland (compares favorably to radmanovich) and a 6'4" wing who rebounds like a post but is built like a wing (think ron brown minus a couple of inches and with more range) - there is a 6'6" banger who is interested in transferring from a d2, but nothing official from what i hear and another 6'5" post who is looking at guilford and rmc...we'll see on him - they are also talking to a 6'2" scoring pg...no confirmation on him, but he has a former hs teammate who plays for the monarchs - it would be nice for the monarchs to haul in all of these guys and really solidify some weaknesses, but we all know that won't happen - i do feel pretty confident that there will be one or two big men that can make an impact and a pg to back up grant and eventually take over as a sophomore...we'll see in august!

narch