MBB: USA South Conference

Started by CNU85, March 16, 2005, 12:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goose_13

5th coach in 6 years at GC. Stability, stability, stability!

narch

http://www.usasouth.net/news/05prezcup.htm">monarchs win men's president's cup, pride win women's president's cup

CaptJ

Congratulations to Greensboro and Methodist.

complete package

GC men athletes work very hard this summer training and improving skills for a competitive up coming season! The women are holding their own. Let's step it up guys!!!

CaptJ

Goose, Supes, 85 -  
Heard anything about the Captains?

Goose_13

narch

a little off-season recruiting update for the monarchs

the pg that drew brookman comparisons is going to otterbein...tough loss

the 6'2"/195 scoring pg is going to be a monarch - he's got the potential to be a stud, but he's not a pass-first guy - shot 50% from 3 as a jr and sr - avg. 17+ ppg in a very tough conference (state runner-up last year is in this conference...he scored 36 on their pg, who is a d1 signee)

a 6'5"/210 post who led cumberland county in rebounding at about 13 rpg is coming - he averaged a double-double in the same conference that the pg above played in - the conference is loaded with scholarship players

a pass first pg who led cumberland county in assists is coming, as well - he's 6'1" and very long, but a little wiry - could be a good compliment off the bench early and develope as a starter late...maybe move the scoring pg over to the 2 eventually

these three are FIRM commits and local products - fayetteville hoops has really improved the last few years and ALWAYS produces some talent - westover hs went to the state finals where they took the only loss on the season and had 4 d1 signees (with a potential 5th & 6th in the junior class) - a few recent monarchs have been fayetteville guys (eddie lamar, elliott williams, dee jenkins, jason childers all come to mind immediately), but getting 3 in one class is really nice to see

mc has also rec'd a verbal committment from another 6'5"/210 post that the coaches saw at nc state games - he was going to a d1 on an academic scholarship, but wasn't going to play ball - he'll be a nice last minute addition if he materializes

a d2 transfer is still trying to make things happen, but has some work to do in summer school - he could be an impact player if he materializes

what's scarier for the other teams in the conference is this - thomas, grant, lee and co. are all working VERY hard this summer and improving their games - i hear that a couple of the post players (moore and williams specifically) have really improved a lot and are ready to step in and play significant minutes  

anyone else got anything?  has gc got a coach http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>?

CaptJ

Narch,

Thanks for the update... your guys are going to be very, very good.  Just as everyone on this board expects that they will.  I hope that my Captains fare as well with CJ's new recruits.  I have heard about a couple of guys that might be coming in.  One is a 6-9 post player and another is a PG that I heard could be a very capable replacement for Blake Brookman almost immediately.  If it were only true!  In all there are supposedly four incoming freshmen (including the two I've already mentioned), but I must be a lot more cautious by nature than you are because I'm not about to call any newcomer a FIRM commitment until I see him in class.  Any other Captains fans out there with added information?

Go CNU!!!  I'm ready for some hoops!

narch

capt j - notice i said firm COMMITTMENT, not a done deal http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0> - there are still a lot of hurdles for all of these guys, especially with the private school cost http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>, but the ones i've talked about all have pretty strong ties and have done almost everything they need to do at this point - all 3 were at orientation this past weekend, and it's unlikely we'll lose any, let alone all at this point - that being said, a few years ago the monarchs lost a similar recruit a few DAYS before classes started - he would have CLEARLY been an all. conf type player (as he ended up being an all ciaa player for wssu) - in fact, that year, another local kid who had verbally committed ended up at fsu and he was all ciaa as a sr - ah...what might've been had those two become monarchs...maybe we'd be talking about 5 or 6 straight conference championships instead of 3 (going on 4 http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>)

James C. Blasingame

Captj, howdy from over here in Yorktown....just down the road from CNU.  Pretty sure the four frosh are attending.  Know three of these guys. The two you mentioned the PG and post are from Bethel and Grafton respectively.  The PG is just pure that, a true pass first player.  The post player is actually 6'7".   I caught all of the Grafton games last year.  He is a legit back to basket post with a nice touch from 15-18'.  He'll need to beef up a bit, but is MUCH stronger than he looks.  He more than held his own against the Woodside center during workouts for the Penisula versus Beach All Star game.  The other two I don't know as much about.  One is from Jamestown, he is a shooting guard.  Saw him play twice last year, tough kid.  The other one I do not know about, evidently he is a 6'6" shooting guard.  Also, it's rumored that Carey is not coming back, though he was only eligible for the second half of the season, that is a substantial void to fill.  I've heard they are trying to bring in a couple of transfers, but like narch said, "firm commitment" is hard to define....until the season starts.  narch I went to UNC-P back in the day when Methodist was one of our arch rivals...look forward to renewing that one again.   All the best..ball

narch

jcb - i'd love for the monarchs to play your braves in a game that counts (mc has run them off the floor in scrimmages the last 4 or 5 years) - who was coaching when you played at uncp? - losing carey would be a very big blow for the capts...he's a beast

Blasman

Narch, good morning.  I can believe the Monarchs would run the Braves off the court with no problem.  With the success of your program and the 'Broke in disarray for a few years now--I am not surprised.  I think they've won about 4 games in three years, with an 0-fer year before last.  That's almost unheard of.  Anyway, when I was there, the legendary Lacey Gane was the Coach.  He retired my sophomore year.  He was followed by Joe Gallagher (coached with Jim Obrien at Boston) and then I believe two years later Billy Lee came in from ECU.  Coach Lee later ended up at Campbell for several years.  He left there after having the challenging task of trying to bring Campbell up to D-I level.   The current athletic director at UNC-P is Dan Kenney who was also a very successful Coach at the 'Broke.  Surprised Coach K hasn't taken over the program himself.  Well, on the bright side at least they have football starting in 2007.  I remember the "crackerbox" well at Methodist, tight little gym, and VERY loud.  As a matter of fact I believe Coach Gallagher was at Methodist my freshman year.  It's looks like you guys have a really nice facility now.  I am not surprised, as you stated, that Methodist brings in a lot of local talent.  Fayetteville has some good size high schools.  Plus, Methodist is a nice school period.  Are there any plans for you guys to jump to D-II.  I'm sure the school with its locale and nice campus would be very successful.

narch

blasman - i wondered if you played under billy lee - current mc ad, bob mcevoy was an assistant with billy lee at uncp before moving on to coach at unc greensboro and eventually wound up at mc - it's unfortunate for coach lee that campbell is finally building a true d1 facility to replace carter gym AFTER he left...he spent many years trying to convince d1 players to play in a middle school (or worse) gymnasium (with some success, i might add) - uncp certainly helped kick start the careers of many good coaches, but they're REALLY bad right now - the monarchs did lose 2 very big recruits to the braves this year...david mcclish and chris campbell were 2 that had expressed great interest in playing for the monarchs before being signed by uncp...mcclish had verbally committed - those two will be upgrades for them as they can both play and are both outstanding students - maybe the new coaching staff has your alma mater heading in the right direction

i never saw a game in the old "tin gym", but i hear it used to get VERY rowdy - mc will NEVER go scholarship (unless someone donates a TON of cash and the school goes d1), the d3 philosophy is alive, well and wholeheartedly espoused at mc

Goose_13

JCB-Ironic, name sounds familiar in the land of CNU. Its interesting how you know so much about the Grafton player potentially heading to CNU http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>. Greensboro does have a coach, if thats who you were wondering about narch. Apparently the guy was a finalist with LaRue last year. Bryan Galuski is his name.

Blasman

Narch, yes I remember Coach McEvoy, along with Coach Lee and Coach Kenney they were a "CLASS" act.  We all knew Coach Lee would not be at UNC-P very long.  I ran in to him last summer at a high school tourney in Jacksonville, NC.  He hasn't changed much.  Though out of coaching, he was doing motivational speaking--imagine that!  All three were very nice men.  I don't think CNU will ever move up either.  Looks like you guys are building quite an athletic tradition in basketball.  And it's tough for D-III when a D-II school right down the road can offer a scholarship.  Though I miss the days of the old Carolinas Conference when we all played Catawba, Guilford, High Point, Francis Marion, NC Wesleyan, Atlantic Christian College and Elon.  Man I am really dating myself.  UNC-P primarily plays teams in SC and GA.  Would seem it's tough to build some "traditional" rivalries! As a matter of fact, just dawned on me, you guys have some pretty good road trips!

Goose, lol...hopefully the name will sound "more" familiar, we'll see.  A lot of work to be done!  Did not know this thing would print my whole last name!  Live and learn.  We're looking forward to Captain's basketball this year....but it may turn out to be a pretty challenging season.  As Narch referred too, you just really not sure who will show up until school starts!