MBB: USA South Conference

Started by CNU85, March 16, 2005, 12:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottiedoug

Coach Placeres intends for the Maryville Scots to compete at the regional and national level and it looks like he has continued to put the pieces together. I hope we get D3 basketball this year!

https://www.thedailytimes.com/sports/knoxville-duo-highlights-maryville-college-recruiting-class/article_5fdcad42-1ce3-5996-b79d-26c497695c68.html

scottiedoug

Maryville hires a new assistant men's coach. A winner!  Let's hope they can play some ball. 

https://www.mcscots.com/sports/mbkb/2020-21/releases/20200925dt0eyh

jaybird44

Hello friends!

It seems that I have been the only member of the only (unofficial) fall sport at WashU, with my 100-mile ultramarathon attempt earlier this month to promote the fight for a cure during Rett Syndrome Awareness Month.  That attempt fell a bit short in miles and fundraising, so I'm going into overtime to try and reach $5,000 in donations.

Rett Gets Rocked 50K for $5K will commence Friday, October 30 at 8 pm Central, and end at 8 am Halloween morning.  Counting donations received (thanks to retired WashU men's basketball coach Mark Edwards and his wife Mary, and to Mike McGrath and his  University of Chicago men's basketball program for their donations!) and those yet to be sent and processed, I am at $4,440.53.  Very, very close to my goal...which will fund a researcher's work for a month.  Wouldn't it be cool if he or she cracked the code for a cure of Rett syndrome, on our dime?!

I reached 86 miles in my "Rett Gets Rocked Virtual Ultra Weekend" October 3-4.  I'm very proud of that result, but there's more work to be done.  Proceeds from the event will be split between Rettsyndrome.org (the only national organization spearheading research and providing resources for affected patients and their families) and the Rett Spectrum Clinic--a collaboration between the WashU School of Medicine and St. Louis Children's Hospital.

Rett syndrome is a rare, non-inherited neurological disorder that is caused by a gene mutation in the brain.  Rett strikes typically when a child is 6-18 months old, and it has the characteristics of ALS, autism, epilepsy, and Parkinson's...all rolled into one sinister disorder.
It takes away the child's ability to move and communicate.  Most of them end up in wheelchairs with active minds, but mired in the physical rubble that Rett creates.  And, the neurological damage prevents verbal communication and arm and hand movement for sign language.

In essence, Rett does to a child what Lucy in the "Peanuts" comic strip does to Charlie Brown when he tries to kick the football that she is holding.  The only difference is that Charlie Brown can get back up to try again.  Those who are afflicted with Rett syndrome don't get another chance to enjoy a vibrant life.

Researchers are working to re-engineer the gene mutation that turns on Rett, so it can be forever turned off.  Four drug therapies are in the FDA review pipeline, with one (trofanitide) one level away from review.  And, iPad tablets with retinal scan technology are giving those with Rett a voice they haven't had since they were toddlers.

The full court press on Rett is paying off.  You can help keep the pressure on Rett, by going to my Rett Racers donation page:  https://rettracer.everydayhero.com/us/rett-gets-rocked-2020

Thanks for your time and consideration, and let's hope that we get back to playing and broadcasting sports much sooner than later!

Jay Murry
Play-By-Play Announcer, Washington University in St. Louis
Event Director, Rett Gets Rocked 50K for $5K

Hawks88

mattgrubb

The attendance policy is lame.  The USA South is getting lame.  If you want my real thoughts then go to www.fireplaceres.com

The USASC should be leading the way in showing sports can be played as several of their institutions would be shut down if you pulled 60% of their student body aka the athletes.  The only highlights this year will be Wallace at Lagrange as he will probably blow up on a ref and get ejected which is always exciting and hopefully a conference tournament that the Scots will win (either Murvul or Covenant, its a % thing). 

The Bring Back Lambert movement has started deep in the backwoods of Murvul TN.  We may get a package deal with Phillip Fulmer as AD and Lambert back as Men's Basketball Coach if the this Placeres thing doesn't turn around soon.  There is also another VERY accomplished former Scot in the Coaching Ranks who might be able to lead the Scots back to the national spotlight depending on how his 5th grade finishes they year.  Although most of his coaching ability rides on one player who is bigger than all the other kids, the winning percentage is hard to argue with.

Let's play ball!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Considering the number of hurdles and heavy lifting schools and conferences are undergoing to make sure sports can have a chance of happening, trying to then ask for fans at games is a tall ask... and rings of disrespect to be honest.

These institutions have to do a LOT to make sure their facilities are okay to play in, that the players themselves are safe to play, that coaches and administrators are safe, that those needed for stats, video streaming, etc. are safe, AND make sure things are in place for the visiting teams, officials, training staffs, etc. on top of that.

Not to mention the fact, presidents have to sign off on allowing those off their campuses to come on knowing there is a significant risk visitors could be bringing the virus on to their campuses and causing a bigger problem. And in reverse, knowing their students and staff are going to other campuses and either could infect that campus OR bring the virus back to their campus.

To then be "disappointed" and demand (as I've seen others basically do) that schools and conferences allow fans is disingenuous. That is now another, significant, risk of bringing individuals on to a campus that is out of the control of presidents, athletics directors, coaches, etc. and aren't necessarily able to be tested or people can't guarantee the testing information is accurate. Not to mention the difficulty of making sure these individuals follow the rules, wear masks, etc.

We are in a once a century (hopefully) major pandemic. These schools and conferences have found a way for these games to even take place. There are MANY places games are NOT taking place. They are also providing live streams of games for anyone who wants to watch at home. To then be disappointed and want to attend in person ... is what is actually disappointing.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

mattgrubb

I don't disagree with a word you said Dave but I am still disappointed and I appreciate how thorough you are on this subject and appreciate the work you are doing.  I follow the mask mandate, social distancing, and all covid policies even though I know the science is flawed for the masks (I am trained in aseptic technique) b/c the mask mandate doesn't come from scientist, in the state of TN it comes from the governor and is thusly enforced by the governor.

Laws are different in each state, the virus is everywhere, statistically the virus poses less risk to the student athletes than driving, the federal government rolled out the abbott rapid response test in Indian health b/c they knew it didn't work so who cares more successful genocide if the high risk Indians get a false negative then die (I'm native), the mental health issues seem to be outweighing the virus in the college age demographic........we can go on and on.  Limited attendance is allowed at high school and youth sports in Tennessee (the state I'm referencing and admit each state has different rules.)

The overriding theme here is that these kids are losing a year of ball in a non scholarship environment they will not get back.  Kids will not pay another 30k to play a 5th year.  I am of the opinion some administrators are suspending sports to save money they lost on housing in the fall semester of 2020.  This applies to tuition driven institutions.  Sadly, there is no simple answer and crossing state lines complicates it even more.  Also Sadly, athletes are missing the opportunity to learn the lessons the sports teach teamwork, competitive spirit, overcoming adversity, leadership, et al.  If I was still in school playing ball during this time, it would be devastating to not be able to play for me and my teammates.

I would also like to add that I am a guy who fights fraud within the USPHS daily.

scottiedoug

Meanwhile, Grubby...what do you really think of the Scotties?  I see you are not the new AD at UT.  Sorry!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: mattgrubb on January 20, 2021, 09:26:01 AM
I don't disagree with a word you said Dave but I am still disappointed and I appreciate how thorough you are on this subject and appreciate the work you are doing.  I follow the mask mandate, social distancing, and all covid policies even though I know the science is flawed for the masks (I am trained in aseptic technique) b/c the mask mandate doesn't come from scientist, in the state of TN it comes from the governor and is thusly enforced by the governor.

Laws are different in each state, the virus is everywhere, statistically the virus poses less risk to the student athletes than driving, the federal government rolled out the abbott rapid response test in Indian health b/c they knew it didn't work so who cares more successful genocide if the high risk Indians get a false negative then die (I'm native), the mental health issues seem to be outweighing the virus in the college age demographic........we can go on and on.  Limited attendance is allowed at high school and youth sports in Tennessee (the state I'm referencing and admit each state has different rules.)

The overriding theme here is that these kids are losing a year of ball in a non scholarship environment they will not get back.  Kids will not pay another 30k to play a 5th year.  I am of the opinion some administrators are suspending sports to save money they lost on housing in the fall semester of 2020.  This applies to tuition driven institutions.  Sadly, there is no simple answer and crossing state lines complicates it even more.  Also Sadly, athletes are missing the opportunity to learn the lessons the sports teach teamwork, competitive spirit, overcoming adversity, leadership, et al.  If I was still in school playing ball during this time, it would be devastating to not be able to play for me and my teammates.

I would also like to add that I am a guy who fights fraud within the USPHS daily.

While it might pose less of a risk to student-athletes, no one is immune. I have a friend and former colleague who's college junior son spend 14-days in the hospital hooked up to tubes and nearly undergoing some serious operations because of getting COVID. There are plenty of other examples of where younger people have been serious impacted by this virus if not killed.

And they are carriers ...

College campuses have illnesses run through them like wildfire. It just takes a spark. College presidents in an effort to not only protect their campuses, protect those who may be vulnerable (many who don't realize it), and of course protect their faculty, staff, administrations, etc. They are doing everything to make this happen and are not going to risk the situation on their campuses. It only takes one person and a campus could be crippled.

Trying to compare to high schools and youth sports is a no-go with me. They don't have the same scenarios. People return to their homes for the most part. It just doesn't compare.

Yes, sports are important to some and have life lessons to teach - but we are in a pandemic. First, there is no book for this in our modern times. Period. I would have hated to lose a year myself - and I lost a year because I got cut from my college team my sophomore year! I know it is hard. No one disagrees with that, but that doesn't mean we just throw everything out when we consider sports.

They are playing. Terrific. Watch from home. Be safe. Keep their campuses and them safe. Because if you allow even limited spectators (who, again, are not part of who the college can control or test) and the team tests positive afterwards or the virus races through the campus, then there are no games at all - and likely for much longer into the spring ... because the president on that campus will see that allowing games and spectators was NOT good for his campus.

For many presidents the option is simple: I will allow sports in a very controlled manner with no spectators or media or there won't be sports at all.

Which one do you want?
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

mattgrubb

Obviously the addition of Jeff McCord to the coaching staff has been huge. The Scots under Coach P are at 3-1 Coach P must be thanking McCord for this.

JR Sanders is my fave player. Clifton is a distant second b/c every time I see his stat line he has all these things called "rebounds."  I'm not sure what rebounds are so if someone will enlighten me that will probably help Nicholas out in my book.

Go Scots!

scottiedoug

Grubby One:  Aren't rebounds those things that are available to determined players when shooters fail? Since you never did the shooter failing thing, it is no surprise you are confused!

mattgrubb

Scottiedoug you are correct.  Rebounds only come from people who can't shoot.  Scots have two big games this weekend. If they win both, Coach P will be tough to contain but in reality they will win b/c of Coach McCord.

Need to get Miles down to Broadway Barbershop to see Cecil on a Tuesday, that guy could make anyone look like a winner.  Cecil could make any Scot look and feel good enough to put up 20 and 10!

scottiedoug

Grubby one...do you know what's up with the other D1 transfer? Coach P already has a few guards.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The Division III basketball season technically started nearly three months ago, but it has taken until the end of January for it to start feeling like the season is really underway. Even so, only about a quarter of the division has played just a single game. Another quarter of the division will never take to the court. And in between is wide gulf of different options.

On the first video-version of Hoopsville this season, Dave McHugh is joined by much of the D3hoops.com crew, Pat Coleman and Ryan Scott, to react to what has been one of the more unique seasons ... to say it lightly.

We react to the challenges schools are facing, what coaches are grappling with on a daily basis - especially beyond games and practices, and why schools are making so many different decisions.

We also discuss what is likely the future of this season's NCAA Championship Tournaments and, more importantly, when the decision on those tournaments will be made.

Plus, will there be a Top 25? No. Well, yes. Kind of. Tune in to learn more on what's coming. Plus a lot more including Dave spinning off Pat's thoughts on those wishing to attend games.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch the show by clicking on the video player above. Or you can listen to the podcast available on any of the service options in the right panel.

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options to the right.

You can WATCH the show or listen to the podcast here: https://bit.ly/3oASGKl or https://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2020-21/january

Hoopsville broadcasts from the WBCA/NABC Studio. All guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline.

If you have questions, ideas, or want to interact with the show, feel free to send them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options available.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3sports.com
Hoopsville Season Archive: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville