MBB: USA South Conference

Started by CNU85, March 16, 2005, 12:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

narch

monarchs schedule - highlights include d1 app. state and h&h with maryville, wooster @ ehc tourney and @ vwc...4 games vs. probable ncaa tournament teams...also a h&h with piedmont, coached by former monarch assistant lee glenn - i think piedmont might break through and win 14-16 games this year, so they should be pretty solid - not sure about some of the others (sewanee, spring hill, etc.) only 8 home games and only 2 non-conf. home tilts - i don't agree with cj's scheduling philosophy at cnu, but it sure would be nice to have more home games as a fan...not sure 17 is the right number, but i'd like to see 10-12

edit: university of mobile was an naia final four team last year, so i imagine they'll be pretty solid

hoopshops

Narch, Check out the new issue of Street & Smith Mobile is ranked in the top ten of NAIA schools. They are a little bit better than solid that should be a tough game for MC. Monarchs once again have a formidable schedule. I agree CNU needs to do a better job scheduling games.

hoopshops

Basketball season has finally begun  :D and the first games are right around the corner. Here are my predictions for POY and all-conference teams. I know its early and you can never tell plus its based on numbers more than anything but, here it goes anyway.
(These Players might not be there anymore?)
1st Team:

Seth Thomas (MC)
Onyie Onunaku (SU)
Ramone Spears (NCW)
Lenny Hall (NCW)
Kenny Johnson (FC)

2nd Team:

Jeremy Romeo (CNU)
Sterling Williams (AU)
Eugene Grant (MC)
Jeremiah Lawrence (SU)
Andrew Boor (AU)

HM:
Jarvis Cobb (NCW)
Kory Lewis (CNU)
Rob Lee (MC)
James Newton(GC)
Steven Johns (SU)

POY: Seth Thomas (MC)
USA South Champions METHODIST COLLEGE MONARCHS

cnufan

From what I heard, the CNU/RMC series was going to continue this year, but with the difficulties both coaches had in scheduling, they could not mutually agree on a date to satisfy both parties.

narch

hoopshops - i've heard from a little birdie that johnson is not back at ferrum - also heard that su has a 6'11" juco transfer...can anyone substantiate that rumor?

captj

If any of the CNU fans that attended Midnight Madness picked up a roster I'd sure like to see it.  There is still no roster on the CNU website.

captj

OK, here goes –

1st Team
Onunaku (SU)
Thomas (MC)
Spears (NCW)
Hall (NCW)
Grant (MC)

2nd Team
Johnson (FC)
Romeo (CNU)
Williams (AU)
Lewis (CNU
Boor (AU)

HM
Lawrence (SU)
Cobb (NCW)
Holley (FC)
Brown (AU)
Radmanovich (MC)

POTY
Onunaku (SU)

Final Conference Standing (returning players)
1) Methodist (Thomas, Grant, Lee, Radmanovich)
2) Averett (Williams, Boor, Brown, Gardener)
3) Ferrum (Johnson, Holley, Fuller, Harris)
4 tie) CNU (Romeo, Lewis, Selden)
4 tie) Shenandoah (Onunaku, Lawrence)
6) NC Wesleyan (Hall, Spears, Cobb)
7) Greensboro (Newton, Battle)

My picks aren't too different from Hops'.  I like my guy Corey Lewis more than Lawrence (SU) for the 2nd team.  I think that with Rod Carey and Steve Murrer gone this year he will step up and be a team leader.  He definitely has the shooting touch to light up the scoreboards.  His turnaround jumper can be really tough to stop.  I do think that Boor is a solid 2nd teamer.  He is just so tenacious, all over the floor and his numbers are almost identical to Lewis'.  I'm picking Onie for POTY because I think he's just going to go off this year.  With Rhone and Purnell on the team last year he didn't have to score much, and I think this year he will be almost unstoppable.  Seth Thomas is a great player, but I just don't see 15.2/6.5 as POTY numbers (although those numbers will increase without Porter on the team and there are some intangibles about his play that don't always show up in the box score).  Speaking of the Monarchs, I think that Radmanovich is finally going to play up to his potential.  I always hated seeing him enter the game for the Monarchs, even though he was usually replacing a player that was supposedly better than him.  I'm obviously very concerned with my guys, hence the 4th place prediction.  But CJ usually has something up his sleeve, so I'm not TOO concerned and I wouldn't be surprised if we challenged for the conference title as we usually do.  I just don't see it with the team I see NOW.  I wish I had seen Midnight Madness, and unfortunately it might be mid season before I get a good understanding of the new guys with the light pre-conference schedule we have this year. 

hoopshops

Narch, I heard from a little birdie that the 6'11' kid isn't that tough but, I have never seen him play so I really don't know. CaptJ, you really can't go wrong with either Thomas or Onunaku. I chose Thomas because during conference play he was in the top 15 in all major catergories except steals and assist. Also, he was second in scoring with 16.8ppg (conference only) and I think 6th or 7th in rebounds thats pretty good coming from a wing and, he always guards the oppositions best player. Plus he finshed 2nd in the voting behind Porter last year!! I think this year will be pretty interesting I think NCW will finish higher than 6th though. If they return everyone I think they will be pretty tough to stop. I just don't think their run through the tournament was a fluke but, maybe I'm giving them too much credit.

captj

Hops –

I just saw the USASAC Coach's Poll and they certainly agree with you that NCW will do better than my prediction of 6th place.  They've picked them as a solid 2nd!  I guess I am counting on them underachieving again this year.  I also expect that the coaches will be way off (as usual) in their picks.  It seems that the only thing that they and I agree on is the top and bottom spots (Meth/Grboro).  Actually, my own selection of the 4-6 spots (Shen., CNU, NCW) was very tough.  I obviously gave Ferrum more love than the coaches did.  I can't help but remember how they handily beat my Captains last year in the Freeman Center, and with so many solidly contributing players returning I just think they will do well. 

You're right about the POTY being a tough call between Onie and Thomas, and you'll recall that I did say that there are intangibles in Thomas' game that don't always get noticed.  I know that I'd sure like to have either of those guys on my team.

cnufan

captj-
    Its up on the CNU site now.

http://athletics.cnu.edu/Sports/mensbasketball/0506mbrst.htm

Lets try this instead. Ya first it was the schedule, and then it was last year's roster, I think I have it right this time.

NewportPlayer3

Hey did anyone see the midnigth madness at CNU i missed it !! ???

I see the captains got 17 home games wow. that should be awesome for the fans. Now last year was awesome to watch at home games but from what i heard from my friends on the team away games were horrible.

think the captains will struggle on D. They have never been a great defensive team and with all the new guys it should be interesting in the beginning of the year.  They will need to step up big this year to make a statement for the 4th place pick.

haha this ismy first post sorry if i run  on...

PS where did all the freshman go from last year? i was looking forward to watching them play/ see them around campus
Ameen was here for a little bit but then jsut dissipeared

cnu85

gonna be a looooong season for CNU. 14 guys on the roster, only 4 are over 6-5, and 2 of those are Freshmen. Only 6 guys with prior CNU experience.

I saw the post below about the RMC/CNU scheduling difficulty. CJ must have not wanted to take a bus ride to Ashland. Surprise surprise.

17 home games may be fun for the fans during the regular season. I'd rather listen to tough road games on the radio than watch easy "patsy" home games that do nothing more for the team in the long run that you couldn't get out of drills in practice. How many times do we get our hopes up with a good home record, only to get wiped out in the tourney?

I may be wrong, and hope I am, but even with the expanded tournament, CNU is not in the dance at regular season's year end.

narch

early scouting report - no real surprises, so far:

thomas has been a beast, grant and lee are improved - both grant and lee have bulked up a bit - i expect all three to elevate their games a bit this season

radmanovic is playing VERY well - he's beefed up some and he's playing a bit tougher - still likes to drift, but he's got a deadly stroke out there - if he can step up on the defensive end, he presents SERIOUS match-up problems for the opposition - he could be the key to how this season goes - if dragan plays defense and gives mc 10-12 ppg and 6-8 rpg, this team can be a top 25 caliber team

mcevoy has played very well early - could push for quality minutes and a starting position - he's big (6'11") and very fundamentally sound on both ends - a little slow and will struggle with quicker 5's, but expect him to block a lot of shots - mc may ask him to play a one man zone some to keep him near the basket

hairston has been unstoppable and is shooting 100+ ft's a day...he needs to increase that number to about 200+ and throw in shooting some 3's, as well - if he can add a jumper to his game...wow - should be a back-up pg to grant, but may play a lot if the monarchs go small with thomas playing the 4 and radmanovic playing the 5

moore and williams are playing well and should rotate in at the 4 and 5 positions - they're both strong kids who rebound well and play solid defense - expect a combined 20+ mpg and 8-10 ppg, 8-10 rpg

frosh mcbryde is pushing for lots of pt - he's 6'5" and led cumberland county in rebounding as a hs senior - strong and athletic - he's got to learn the college game still, but expect him to play significant minutes by the time conference season rolls around

frosh mcdonald will be a back-up at 2/3 - he's a scorer, but played some point in high school, as well - shoots the ball well and has a great body (6'2", 195) - quick and strong

frosh terry will be the 3rd pg - led cumberland county in assists as a hs senior - playing well, but pt in the back-court is going to be tough, especially early - he'll get his chances because he's very solid in all aspects

i agree with the coaches poll, for the most part - i don't think that ncwc will underachieve like they have in the past - i think thompson has some kids who play hard, and that hasn't always been the case - averett plays very hard, especially on the defensive end (who ever thought i would say that  ???), but they've got to find more scorers - cnu looks REALLY young, but don't discount the possibility of mid-season reinforcements in the form of scholarship transfers - su...lot's to replace, but i like coach harris - he usually gets great effort from his guys - ferrum will take a step back without johnson - greensboro will struggle big time...too much turnover the last few years

captj

If Johnson is not playing for Ferrum this year I need to revise where I put them in my picks.  I thought so highly of them based on the assumption that he was with the team.  If he's not I need to put them down with my 4-6 picks, but I still haven't seen anyone confirm that he's not on the team and they still don't have a roster on the Ferrum website.

CNU fans – what did you see at Midnight Madness?

ballgame

captj,
I was at Midnight Madness, huge, huge crowd, very impressed with the turnout.   Couple of folks already said it; CNU is young, with a lot of new faces.  I know Coach Woolum is pleased with his freshman class, especially Barton, McShepard and Blasingame.  But they are just that "freshman."  It's really hard to pick up anything when they are "free styling" for 16 minutes.  Ed Riley a sophomore transfer from St Paul and McShepard are both very athletic, it'll be interesting to see how they measure up in a "real" game.   I only saw CNU play in person a couple of times last year, but losing a senior point guard and a rising senior post player who was a double figure scorer cannot help.  Seldon (probably start at point) and Lewis will really have to step it up, along with Romeo and Purdham.  Would not be surprised if they added a transfer or two at mid-season.  A top four finish is probably a pretty close estimate, but we can certainly hope for better....just depends on how the new pieces fit in.