MBB: USA South Conference

Started by CNU85, March 16, 2005, 12:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

narch

blasman - as you know, nc has a lot of scholarship schools - all the cvac, ciaa, and sac teams are serious comp for recruits (and many have serious hoops programs...pfieffer, mount olive, fsu, wssu) - mc wins it's share of recruits vs. places like lenoir-rhyne and some of the other private d2's because a lot of times they just take money they would have given anyway (in the form of need based aid) and call it athletic money, but it's hard when a public like uncp, which starts out less than 1/2 price to begin with, gives athletic $$$ - the two that uncp got would have been nice players for the monarchs...unfortunately for them, they're going to get their brains beat in as braves rather than getting fitted for a few championship rings http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0> - of course, they're getting their brains beat out and not paying much, if anything, for their schooling - the peach belt is a conference that is simply too difficult for uncp to compete in, in all sports - that's a big time d2 conference - i've heard speculation that they might join the ciaa, but i just don't see that happening...they just aren't the right fit - i've also read that they may go ciaa as a football only - it will be interesting to see

Blasman

narch, it's amazing the number of D-II schools in NC as compared to VA.  I think we have two total, but we have SEVERAL D-III schools.  I know money is important to a lot of these kids.  But what you eluded to about "getting their brains beat out"....education is priority one, but also playing in a program that is a good fit and successful is important too.  Though I hope these kids help turn UNCP around.  I'm with you, I think UNCP needs to get out of the Peach Belt and play some local schools.  But don't think they'd fair much better with the likes of successful programs at Pfeiffer, Catawba or Methodist.  At least they would not have to travel as far! As I mentioned earlier it's been a tough few years there.  Chowan just joined the ranks of D-II also.  Not sure what conference they are going in to or why they went D-II.  I suspect they were dealing with the challenges of bringing athletes to Murfreesboro.  Tough place to recruit to (I grew up right down the road in Roanoke Rapids), plus they'll have challenges with an enrollment of only 800.  Anyway, it's a credit to the staff at Methodist for putting together a top-notch program considering all the schools that are close that they have to compete for kids against.  Didn't even mention Fayetteville State!  You guys are surrounded!

ju dont kno

how is SU's recruiting class looking. i hear there bringing in a 5'7 pt guard. ive seen him play and hes pretty good. he works out with one of the VWC players this summer. his name is lenzie adams. from Forest park in woodbridge VA.

scottiedoug

Hello Narch!  I see that Methodist and Maryville are playing a home and home series this year.  This should be fun and an opportunity to learn who is any good.  Some of us Scot fans are a little uneasy as we lost a lot in Ellis and Placeres.  

It is nice to see (some) coaches schedule good quality interleague home and away series between these conferences. Any chance you'll come over to Tennessee?

narch

doug - little to no chance of me getting to m'ville - i will, however, be in the riddle center for the home contest...i look forward to seeing golden and co. in person - the one thing methodist has never shied away from is a strong schedule outside of conference - i look forward to the game

Just a Fan

I heard a rumor over the summer that Ross Mitchell from York would be playing for CNU this season. Anybody have any info on this ?

Uncle Jessie

Any new news about a possible new basketball arena at Shenandoah in the near future?
2003-04 USAC football champions 2004 NCAA football playoffs
1989,90,91 ESAC champions men's basketball
1996 DIXIE champions men's basketball 1989,91,96 NCAA basketball tournament
1991 ESAC baseball champions 2009,10 NCAA baseball tournament
2009,10 NCAA Division III World Series
2010 USAC baseball champions

narch

hoopshops

What are everyone's preseason predictions for the USA South Conference

hoopshops

1. Methodist
2. NCW
3. CNU
3. Averrett
5. SU
6. Greensboro
7. Ferrum

cnu85

I thought I read the Ross Mitchell thing in the newspaper. I know I've seen it somewhere, not sure where.

hoopshops

I feel that the Monarchs should run through the conference if they stay healthy and a few of the post players step up. They have one of the best players in the conference returning in Seth Thomas as well as Eugene Grant who never gets the credit he deserves. Also, watch for Lee and Williams they made some strides late in the conference season especially Lee.

NCW I may be giving them a little to much credit but they are young and athletic and still have Spears, Cobb, and Lenny. Plus they made a great run in the tournament so they should be hungry.

CNU/ Averrett. CNU still has Romeo and they always seem to reload. Losing Brookman hurts, plus if Carey is gone  :'(. Averrett has a great coach in Jimmy Allen if gets some players watch out they could easily contend for the Monarchs crown.

hoopshops

SU. Still has Onyie and Lawrence in the post but no one proven at the guard spot. Losing Rhone and Purnell hurts. Rhone really meant alot and when Purnell got hot he was tough to stop.

GC and Ferrum has had to many coaching changes so it will be hard to see any consistency from them as a team but we will see on OCT 15

narch

hoops hops - i like your predictions...we'll see - the monarchs should be pretty talented this year - the combo of grant/thomas/lee could be one of the most lethal back-courts in the region, especially if they take it to the next level - i'm with you on grant...he's so sound in every aspect of the game and incredibly smart - he may not get the hype because he doesn't do anything flashy, but i wouldn't trade his total game for any guard in the conference (except maybe thomas....but they're both monarchs) - if lee can play as consistently offensively as he does on the defensive end, your prediction might come true - i think the key for mc will be the post play...some guys have to step up - williams and moore have shown flashes and radmanovic HAS to reach his tremendous potential - if the post players can develop quickly, the monarchs should be alright

as an aside, i heard that grant, thomas, lee, moore and one or two other monarchs played in the chavis league this summer and  more than held their own...for those of you unfamiliar with the chavis league, here's a link - just a few d1 players (and occasionally former nba players) on chavis rosters

hoopshops

Narch any word on the Monarchs recruits. Also, what about the recruits for the rest of the conference