FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

A lot of the FCS teams that Mount Union is listed as better than are Patriot League and (non-scholarship) Pioneer League. I could buy a lot of that.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

waxx

Is the Patriot League scholarship but still awful? I don't know a lot about FCS football.

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

OK, it is Thursday.  When is Mount Union going to release the Game Notes for this Saturday's game?

BWU has had theirs up for a day or two already.
National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

Quote from: waxx on September 13, 2018, 11:44:58 AM
Is the Patriot League scholarship but still awful? I don't know a lot about FCS football.

I think they offer scholarships, but are like the Ivy League of FCS.  Higher Academic Requirements, harder to get some "athletes" in those schools.
National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

waxx

Quote from: Kira & Jaxon's Dad on September 13, 2018, 11:46:27 AM

I think they offer scholarships, but are like the Ivy League of FCS.  Higher Academic Requirements, harder to get some "athletes" in those schools.

Isn't the Ivy League the Ivy League of FCS? ;D But I see what you mean.

jknezek

The Patriot League is an oddball. Only recently did they start offering football scholarship and they offer only 60 per year, 3 under FCS rules and well under FBS rules. Some schools do not offer any football scholarships, like Georgetown, while others do not offer the full 60. It's an awkward league.

WRMUalum13

Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 13, 2018, 11:34:21 AM
A lot of the FCS teams that Mount Union is listed as better than are Patriot League and (non-scholarship) Pioneer League. I could buy a lot of that.

I don't buy Ashland being ranked higher than Mount. Doesn't our JV team usually beat theirs?

wally_wabash

Quote from: WRMUalum13 on September 13, 2018, 12:37:04 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 13, 2018, 11:34:21 AM

I don't buy Ashland being ranked higher than Mount. Doesn't our JV team usually beat theirs?

You're looking for masseyJVratings.com.
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Oline89

Quote from: jknezek on September 13, 2018, 11:52:31 AM

The Patriot League is an oddball. Only recently did they start offering football scholarship and they offer only 60 per year, 3 under FCS rules and well under FBS rules. Some schools do not offer any football scholarships, like Georgetown, while others do not offer the full 60. It's an awkward league.

I have seen a lot of Patriot League and Ivy League football, and would have to say that MU would routinely beat the Patriot League teams, as well as the bottom 4 Ivy teams.  The Patriot league scholarship rules are even odder than the above description.  For instance, a player is only allowed to receive money from the scholarship pool. Even if a player is not receiving scholarship money (and with only 60 full scholarships available, there are plenty of players in this group), he can't receive money from any other source (financial aid, grants, etc.).

buddy34

JCUStreaks70

Quote from: waxx on September 13, 2018, 11:31:35 AM
Hello OAC board! A user on reddit posted a spreadsheet of Massey ratings across all divisions of football. Naturally, I went to see were Mount Union was rating and it had them at 269 ahead of several FCS and D2 schools. Being ahead old D2 schools didn't really surprise me but the amount of FCS schools really did. I know there are a handful of FCS schools who are non-scholarship but the majority are. I know this sort of discussion is best served in the off-season but wanted to get some reactions. Is MU a better team than say Fordham? There are also several other D3 schools down the list that are higher than some FCS teams.

https://old.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/9fewg8/comparing_the_ratings_of_fbs_fcs_d2_and_d3/?ref=share&ref_source=link

Thanks for the post, good to see that JCU is better than a number of D2 and occasional FCS team. Which strictly speaking means that when I played I was on the top half of all O-Lineman in college football... I call that a win in my book.  ;D
AMDG

2016 OAC CHAMPS! AND MY OWN SELF-PROCLAIMED RUNNERS-UP TO THE RUNNERS-UP.

wally_wabash

"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

MUC57

JCUStreaks70

You were an o-lineman? But they're always big guys. I'll have to really be nice to you in the future. Go Blue Streaks! Love University Heights! Beat The Yellow Jackets! How's that, big guy? ☠🏈
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

waxx

Quote from: JCUStreaks70 on September 13, 2018, 02:10:20 PM
Hello OAC board! A user on reddit posted a spreadsheet of Massey ratings across all divisions of football. Naturally, I went to see were Mount Union was rating and it had them at 269 ahead of several FCS and D2 schools. Being ahead old D2 schools didn't really surprise me but the amount of FCS schools really did. I know there are a handful of FCS schools who are non-scholarship but the majority are. I know this sort of discussion is best served in the off-season but wanted to get some reactions. Is MU a better team than say Fordham? There are also several other D3 schools down the list that are higher than some FCS teams.

https://old.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/9fewg8/comparing_the_ratings_of_fbs_fcs_d2_and_d3/?ref=share&ref_source=link

Thanks for the post, good to see that JCU is better than a number of D2 and occasional FCS team. Which strictly speaking means that when I played I was on the top half of all O-Lineman in college football... I call that a win in my book.  ;D

Don't forget how good you were increases with the length of time since playing. Even though Adrian is 300-something, the fact I played OL there in the early 2000s pushes me up significantly. So, I would probably be in the mid 100s now. Benefits of growing older. ;D

JCUStreaks70

Quote from: waxx on September 13, 2018, 04:34:55 PM
Quote from: JCUStreaks70 on September 13, 2018, 02:10:20 PM

Don't forget how good you were increases with the length of time since playing. Even though Adrian is 300-something, the fact I played OL there in the early 2000s pushes me up significantly. So, I would probably be in the mid 100s now. Benefits of growing older. ;D

I had completely forgotten about inflation over the years! Thank you for the reminder! Ha
AMDG

2016 OAC CHAMPS! AND MY OWN SELF-PROCLAIMED RUNNERS-UP TO THE RUNNERS-UP.