BB: WIAC: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by BDB, December 30, 2005, 09:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babe Truth

Quote from: Jim Dixon on August 02, 2013, 06:00:06 PM
FYI - not all summer leagues have that same limitation.  The Alaska league has had their share of players well past college and saw Spaceman Lee throw seven a couple years ago.

Yeah, there's a couple of such leagues in the Midwest too. The Frontier League is heavily into Illinois and the American Assn. is far flung from Gary to El Paso to Winnipeg, with the St. Paul Saints familiar to most fans. Seeing Darryl Strawberry launch a couple towering longballs for the Saints in a game in Madison years ago when he was on the comeback trail was pretty memorable.   
It must take a pretty dedicated guy who's not quite ready to give up the dream to be willing to endure bus rides like the 1700 miles from Laredo to Winnipeg.  The pay is so awful that I think it could only be called semi-pro baseball.  I wonder how the leagues avoid minimum wage regulations.

Pat Coleman

That's a professional league, however. The other summer leagues being referenced are amateur leagues.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

ShineTime

Looks like pointer pitcher Ben messenger pitched for ash port legion this summer and dominated.
GOTTA LOVE ACT 10

cubs

Quote from: ShineTime on August 04, 2013, 06:24:34 PM
Looks like Titan pitcher Ben messenger pitched for ash port legion this summer and dominated.
FIFY!!!

I would hope so!!!

The line-ups he faced this summer were likely a far cry from the ones he had success against last spring during his Pointer season or will be seeing in the future for UWO.
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

BigPoppa

Quote from: cubs on August 02, 2013, 02:28:46 AM
Things could get VERY interesting in Oshkosh next week!!!!

Coach Lechnir's appeal is being heard Tuesday morning and needless to say, the article in the Journal Sentinel might have just been the tip of the iceberg as far as the details that were released.

Well... Today is the day! Anyone have a feeling one way or the other on Lechnir's appeal? I can only imagine the tension on campus if he is reinstated. I look forward to wading the result of the case on here. 
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Bishopleftiesdad

cubs

badgerwarhawk

I don't see how they'll be able to hire anyone new until this thing is resolved.  If it ends up in court that could be some time from now.  Who's going to want to take a position that they might end up losing if it went to court and Lechnir prevailed.    Maybe they could find an interim person on his current staff who would be willing to fill in but I don't see anyone from outside thinking this is a good spot.
"Just think twice is my only advice."

ShineTime

I'm all for lechnir getting job but am confused.  Don't coaches get **** canned all the time?  I don't understand how he could just get his job back or why he would even want it back with the way he's been treated.  Why don't he just take another job maybe even a d1 job where he belongs?  He's accomplished so much in d3 why stick around and deal with all the non sense?
GOTTA LOVE ACT 10

badgerwarhawk

Doesn't he have children (or a child) still in a local high school?  Also if what I was told earlier is correct he is a year or so away from being fully vested in the state's retirement program.  Those might be reasons he wants to stay.  Also I don't know him personally but the impression I've always had is that he isn't the type to be pushed around by anyone. 
"Just think twice is my only advice."

BigPoppa

Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

cubs

Quote from: BigPoppa on August 01, 2013, 05:04:09 PM
Care to share who the five finalists are(if you know)?
UW-Oshkosh sets 2 of 4 finalists for baseball:
-Bob Morgan, Former University of Indian Head Coach (Won 1000 Games)
-Kevin Ritsche, Head Coach at Winston-Salem St. (Played at St. Scholastica)

http://www.uwoshkoshtitans.com/sports/bsb/2013-14/releases/20130816hrpt6x

Other two finalists to be announced on Monday....

cubs

And Ritsche promptly pulls his name out from consideration....