WBB: Little East

Started by Allen M. Karon, March 09, 2004, 03:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amh63

ECSU....See that your women's team will be visiting Amherst on Thursday in LeFrak at 5:30.  I will be watching a bit on the website.  This year in the "CAC" and in the Emmanuel game last night, the women's game is the featured game at around 8PM whereas the men's game is the "early" game.  Starting to get use to the schedule but it will make it harder for me to catch some live games...traveling and all.
How is your team doing?  Amherst this year is young and has a short bench.  Hope the game will be such that both teams learn from it.

7express

Their not good.  Had an upper class mutiny at Christmas last year that their still recovering from, and like Amherst don't have a deep bench either.  I think last night they only went 2 of 3 deep.  Their 2-5, but have been in pretty much every game with the exception of the Emmanuel.  Eastern has only been outscored by 9 this year.

7express

Wed Result:

bridgewater 69-62.  I got to the Feldman arena when it was 23-20 Bridgewater with about 7:45 left in the first; Bridgewater outscored us 17-7 the rest of the half after I arrived and went up 13 at halftime (40-27) and was up by as many as 15 in the second half, but the Colonials comeback attempt fell a couple points and minutes away.  Hard to win games when your down by 15 with 12:00 minutes left to go in the game which is exactly what happened to us.  Caroline Brasa had a game high 21 off the bench to lead Western, Michaela Cosby had 20 to lead Bridgewater who got just 3 points off of a bench that went 2 deep.  Jackie Zilnicki had 1 point, 4 rebounds and 7 turnovers in 27 minutes of action, worst game of the year.
29-16 OOC record for conference.

Thursday schedule:
Keene 62 @ Daniel Webster 39
Keene is GREAT against teams with 1 win or less: 2-0 in games when the opponent has either 0 or 1 win and Daniel Webster is 0-7.  Daniel Webster is so bad they only gave up 43 points their last time out.....and still managed to lose because they scored only 39.
Salve 56 @ Dartmouth 63.
This is the middle of a stretch of 6 games in 13 days for Dartmouth and the beginning of a stretch of 3 games in 5 days for Dartmouth.  After their game on Monday against Johnson & Wales which ends both streaks, they'll be off until January 2.
Eastern 53 @ Amherst 73.
Their not as good (at least not yet) as they were the last couple of years with Caroline Stedman, but Amherst is still Amherst and their still undefeated.  This maybe over at halftime.
Boston 43 @ Tufts 70.
Tufts hasn't allowed an opponent to get more then 54 points this year and has held opponents to 43 or less in 4 of 7 games.  I like Boston but their defense isn't on Tufts level and there's no way their going to be able to score on the Jumbo's jumbo sized D.

amh63

Amherst beat a tough ESCU team at home 65-55.  It was only a 6 point lead at the half.  Though Amherst built a 14 point lead in the second half, the ESCU team fought back and had the lead down to only 3 at one time.  Stats was down...however one ESCU player had over 25-30 points and hit them inside and outside.  Good game to watch.

7express

Thurs results:

Keene 75-43.
Keene's 3 wins are now a combined 1-20 on the year.  Both them & Boston have a lot to prove this weekend.
Dartmouth 67-54.
Colleen Moriarty had 26 on 13-20 shooting to lead all scorers
Amherst by 10 over Eastern 65-55.
Their not winning games, but their really competitive against extremely talented teams: lost by 5 @ USM last weekend and only lost by 10.  They lost by less points in that same gymnasium then William Paterson did (started out preseason top 25) and probably most NESCAC teams will.  Getting a win @ RIC Saturday would bea huge momentum boost for the 2nd half of the season.  Shannon McCourt had 25 to lead all scorers.
Tufts 68-42 over Boston
Against the 2 best defensive teams Boston has faced this year (Western & Tufts) they scored 41 & 42 points respectively.  And good early season wins over Middlebury, Fitchburg & Manhattanville don't look so good now as all 3 are either at or below .500.  As I said earlier, both them & Keene have a lot to prove.

31-18 OOC record

Sat schedule:
Eastern @ RIC, Western @ USM, Dartmouth @ Plymouth, Boston @ Keene.  Take out Dartmouth vs. Plymouth which will be a rout, the other 3 are all interesting: Eastern isn't winning, but is playing teams tough.  How will Western slow down the USM attack and can they contain Knight?  Neither Boston or Keene has beaten a good team yet this season, so the winner wil finally get a "good victory" and stay in contention for a sleeper pick.  Interesting set of games, I'll nominate Eastern @ RIC for the best only because I think Boston/Keene will struggle to get 75 combined points between the two, and I think USM blows Western out of the building.

7express

Saturday predictions:

Boston 45 @ Keene 41.
Neither team can score that much, and both are good defensively.  Boston's wins are better then Keene's are, so they get the edge.
Eastern 63 @ RIC 61.
They played USM & Amherst close throughtout but suffered 2 close losses which was sandwiched in between a victory of Westfield state.  I say they break through in this one, and pull out the road win.
Dartmouth 67 @ Plymouth 49.
Will Plymouth win any LEC games this year??
Western 58 @ USM 73.
If USM wins this one, their unbeaten and in the top 10 when they come to Western for the rematch January 26.  Let's see what they do against Rebecca Knight, if there's any chance of us to win this we've gotta slow her down.  Also, were not going to outscore or outshoot them, so were going to have to play this game in the 50's with lots and lots of USM missed shots.  I don't think that's happening.

7express

Halftime scores Boston leads Keene 35-33, USM leads 33-25, RIC up 22-15, and the Dartmouth Plymouth game is over for all intents and purposes as Dartmouth leads by 22 39-17

7express

Women's finals: USM 60-55, RIC 41-36, and Dartmouth 68-47

ECSUalum

Quote from: amh63 on December 06, 2012, 07:14:36 PM
Amherst beat a tough ESCU team at home 65-55.  It was only a 6 point lead at the half.  Though Amherst built a 14 point lead in the second half, the ESCU team fought back and had the lead down to only 3 at one time.  Stats was down...however one ESCU player had over 25-30 points and hit them inside and outside.  Good game to watch.
amh63,
As 7express stated, a bunch of Juniors and Seniors acted foolishly/stupidly and were thrown off the team by Coach Bierly, >:( >:(, so the team is very young, (mostly Freshman and Sophs).  Their problem is they seem to loose intensity/focus in the second half, blowing big leads!!  Additionally, because they are young they commit a lot of TO's.  However, with a couple of more years of experience, they will be pretty good, especially with McBride, McCourt, Forseman, etc.  I did not see the game, but am glad it was not a blowout!!

7express

Sat results:

Boston with a nice win @ Keene 70-60.
Teresa Pina lead all scorers with 22 points for the Beacons who improved to 6-2 on the year.
RIC 41-36.
The teams combined to shoot just 26.8%.  Courtney Burns of RIC was the games lone double digit scorer with 12.
Plymouth 67-49.
15 players for Dartmouth played who were lead by Colleen Moriarty with 15.
USM 60-55.
I can't wait to get them in Danbury when they won't have the Maine officials with them, their awful up there.  2 plays really changed the game:
1) Melissa DiNino got called for a terrible foul with Western up 1.  I could hear the sound of the ball on the other side of the court.   Jordan Grant hit 2 free throws (2 of her career high 19) put USM up 1 and they never trailed again after that.
2) With the same score, Nicole Eanniello got a missed USM jumper and got the ball ripped out of her hands by Taylor Flood.  A couple seconds later a Rebecca Knight layup gave USM some breathing room.  Western scored 6 points and made only 2 field goals the final 7:20 to go from up 4 to losing by 5.

Next game on Monday which is Dartmouth @ Johnson & Wales.

7express

Monday prediction:

Dartmouth 73 @ Johnson & Wales 54.
J&W hasn't beaten a team with a winning record all season.  Last year Dartmouth won by 17 and held them to 31.1% shooting.

7express

Monday results:

Dartmouth 77-49 over J&W.
Colleen Moriarty had a game high 23, and the Corsairs held J&W to 28.8% shooting.
32-18 OOC record

Tuesday schedule:
Westfield 62 @ Boston 68.
I really like this Boston team.  Had a nice win at Keene, outside of Plymouth haven't won a road game in forever in the LEC.  Last week Westfield lost at home to Eastern, I don't like them going cross state.
Emerson 56 @ Plymouth 54.
Both teams are bad.  Combined they have a 3-12 record and have lost a combined 11 games in a row.  However, Emerson somehow beat Mount St. Mary earlier in the year, so they get the edge by 2.

7express

Tuesday results:
Boston 55-51 over Westfield.
Nice to see the Beacons finally insert Kirsten Morrison back in the starting lineup, I was wondering why the reigning LEC rookie of the year was coming off the bench.  She lead all scorers with 20 points.  The Beacons bench got 4 points in 19 minutes of action which was even better production then the Westfield bench who subbed in 6 reserves who combined for 5 points (all 5 from 1 player).
Emerson 70-56 over Plymouth.
This may just be the worst team in New England.  Them & Johnson state can fight it out for that title in late January.  Krystin Corliss had a game high 30 to lead Plymouth.
33-19 OOC record.

Heading into the Christmas break Eastern, Keene, Boston, Dartmouth & Western are all off until after Christmas (and Dartmouth & Eastern are off until 2013).  USM & Plymouth have 1 game remaining USM at home vs. Husson Friday, Plymouth on the road Saturday @ Lyndon state.  RIC has 2 games left, both on the road: Sunday @ URI, Wednesday @ J&W.

Next set of games Friday: Husson @ USM.  Will have a prediction Thursday.

7express

Friday schedule:

Husson 45 @ USM 73.
Husson & USM have 2 common opponents: St. Joes (ME) and Bates.  USM won both games by double digits.  Husson lost to Bates by 45, and by 39 to St. Joes.  All 4 of Husson's losses have come by at least 19 points.  Last year USM by 22 @ Husson and they had a worse team.  USM rolls.

7express

Friday results:

USM 57-20 over Husson.
USM held Husson to only 7 field goals the entire game, and held them to 2-26 shooting the second half.  Jordan Grant lead the Huskies with 11 points and all 15 players for USM played double digit minutes with Meredith Reid getting the teams most minutes with 17.
34-19 record.

Sat prediction:
Plymouth 46 @ Lydon state 51.
One of only 2 teams left on Plymouth's schedule that Plymouth has a legitimate chance to beat (Johnson state being the other).  Lyndon state is only 2-6, but those 2 wins are against Wheelock (0-8) and against Johnson state (2-7).