MBB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Scots Hoops Fan, March 14, 2005, 09:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BogeyMan

Does anyone know who the officials were in the Berg - BW game?

sac

John Carroll 83 Capital 75

This puts the top in reach of the OAC regular season title

Capital 10-2
John Carroll 10-2
Ohio Northern 9-3
Wilmington 9-3

Capital only has 1 more game vs one of those 4 remaining.......at Ohio Northern in two weeks.

John Carroll has 2 more games,   they host Ohio Northern next Saturday and finish the year at Wilmington.

Wilmington and Ohio Northern have those game plus face each other Feb 11.

sac

billy the kid

Well, someone asked about the problems at Otterbein...First of all, no seniors. Second of all, NO DEFENSE. A mediocre team, Muskingum hit them for 47 second half points recently. Coach Reynolds cannot find a combination that seems to click. He has been starting 3 freshmen and 2 juniors including a 6'3 freshman post player. Their 2 biggest players(6'6 soph and 6'7 fresh) get little playing time. The OAC leading scorer and others have missed games due to discipline.
OFFENSE IS EXCITING...DEFENSE WINS GAMES.....REBOUNDING WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS                                                                    ...

OAC Fan

What have those 2 players done to get disciplined so many times?

Big game for the #8 seed on Wednesday night (not really with 3 weeks to go).

albertjackson

Is anybody surprised by JCU's success this season or Capital's #5 national ranking?

albertjackson

No surprises tonight in the OAC. Just getting back from the Berg vs B-W game where B-W loses another close game. They've had 4 OT games and it looked like tonight would be their 5th. Looks like the YellowJackets will be joining Otterbein and won't be making the OAC tournament. Hard to believe - they have better players than that. OAC Fan - I'm not sure I agree with your assesment of Coach Sheldon. I hardly think 1 winning season in 6 is building a winning program, and had he stayed, he wouldn't be doing any better than what Coach Gholson is doing. 1 winning season in 7 is not what I call building a winning program. I know Heidelberg isnt one of the better jobs in the OAC - and Coach Sheldon won the conference tournament last year - but if you look back to the late 80's and early 90's you'll see that Coach Hill in fact built a winning program at the Berg. He had 6 winning season between 1988 and 1995 and had the Berg in the top half of the OAC. Coach Sheldon finished in the top half only once. Obviously it shouldn't take him as long to get it going at BW - but after seeing tonight's game and based on BW's struggles this year - I wouldn't be calling Coach Sheldon a program builder. I'm not hating on Coach Sheldon, I'm sure he'll have a solid career at BW - but he has a ways to go before he enters Coach Hill or Coach Bankson's success levels. On another note - it appears JCU and Capital will be the teams to represent the OAC this year come NCAA tourny time. ONU seems to be playing uninspired ball. BTW - nice article on Coach Moran in the Cleveland Plain Dealer today.

Pat Coleman

Welcome to the board -- bring friends!
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Pat Coleman

Just a reminder that John Carroll coach Mike Moran will be one of our guests on Hoopsville tonight. The show airs from 6-8 ET and he will be in the first hour.

http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/tunein.php
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

privacy

I also agree. Sheldon has a long time before becoming a elite coach. One successful year in six year tenure is not success. Let's just hope time does not run out on him at BW. I don't know if a school is willing to wait that long just to have one good year.

sac

Muskingum 72 Capital 60

....thats a major upset in the OAC

combined with JCU's win over Ohio Northern..........JCU is now the OAC leader by 1 game.

......and Baldwin-Wallace beats Wilmington, so the OAC is starting to look like the OAC.

albertjackson

Good to see Muskingum and BW win. I have been disappointed by both these teams this year, and very surprised by JCU's success. I have thought all along they (BW and Muskingum) had the talent to have solid winning seasons. I thought Cap and ONU would battle for 1-2, while BW, muskie, wilm, and JCU would battle for 3-6, followed by Mt. and Marietta. Kinda figured the Berg and Ott. would struggle. At the half way point my predictions were way off, but with 4 to go I might be looking more nostradomus than it appears. Still way off on JCU's 1st place (had them at 6th) and BW's 9th place (3rd place) - but there is a lot of bball left to be played. (FYI - I had Muskie 4thand Wilmington 5). Saw the ONU - JCU game. It amazes me what they are doing with such a small line up and so many inexperienced players. ONU is underachieving IMO. They could be a very dangerous tournament team!! Anybody have thoughts on ALL-Conference teams yet? How about your pre-season predictions? (now that I've shared mine) Best DIII in Ohio? Could it really be JCU - if so, watch out 09-10, cause the streaks don't lose much if anything!!

PS Privacy - I can't imagine Sheldon would be in any trouble with job security. My guess is he's at BW for the next 25 years win or not. It's DIII, he just started, and he's an alum. I dont think BW would run an alum off. They know he has big shoes to fill - Bankson was a class act that went out on top having his best 4 year run in school history with the Davis Brothers, and the likes of Schuler, Sekerak and Aufmuth. With another sizable post option - BW might have won the whole thing thing a few years back when they lost to Wittenberg, who went on to lose in the National title game in the last minute. I was at that game and BW was only mismatched in not having the post size and depth the Witt. had.

albertjackson

Your right SAC.... the OAC is back to it's old ways. I just realized Otterbein beat my ol college on saturday night. I guess it doesn't surprise me! When was the last time we were any good? I'll answer that - when we had Shipp and Richards. Of course it doesn't help when kids transfer out or quit the team year after year. Seriously, isn't it time Mt. Union do something to become competitive in the OAC! Perhaps Kehres could share some of his football $$ with Lil Napoleon, or better yet maybe he could coach the team! We could have 80 guys out for bball instead of just 40!
On another note.... I guess some love should be directed toward the Pioneers! They're doing what hasn't been done at Marietta in some time - winning and not finishing last in the OAC! Oh BTW - they're led by a kid from Malvern and Cleveland! HMMM!?

billy the kid

Looks like the 8th and final spot for the OAC tourney could be up for grabs this week.....OC is trailing but is coming off a win over the Mount and has BW and the Berg this week. BW must beat OC and hope OC beats Berg. No clue about tie breakers. OC played well against Mount Union after a crushing defeat(80-68) earlier in the season. OC switched to a freshman point guard(now starting 3 freshmen and 2 juniors). Now, if the 2 big kids would just play more to defend the post. The future looks decent, no seniors.
OFFENSE IS EXCITING...DEFENSE WINS GAMES.....REBOUNDING WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS                                                                    ...

ScotsFan

Quote from: albertjackson on February 08, 2009, 10:54:20 PM
Best DIII in Ohio? Could it really be JCU - if so, watch out 09-10, cause the streaks don't lose much if anything!!
Thanks for joining in on the fun albert!  It's nice to see some fresh faces in here on the OAC board.  And actual OAC posters as well!  ;)

With regards to JCU, they have seemed to come out of nowhere!  I mean, you always expect Moran to put a good squad on the floor.  But, I thought this was Cap's season with ONU being the ones to give the Crusaders a challenge.  Moran has done a heck of a job up there in the Heights!

And speaking of young, we touched on this briefly on the NCAC board about how young teams are over there.  Of the top 5 teams in the NCAC, Wooster, Witt and Hiram all have everyone coming back but one (technically, Hiram has two because a jr. is graduating early).  And over 80% of Wooster's scoring this season is coming from freshmen and sophomores!

It is amazing the infusion of young players all over the GL Region this season!  Maybe that is why we are only seeing Cap and JCU as the lone reps in the top 25 so far this season.  But I have a feeling that we will see a few more than that next season!