MBB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Scots Hoops Fan, March 14, 2005, 09:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toph

As for the JCU/Mount game which I didn't attend because I thought it would be on TV and didn't see because it was preempted for Kent State basketball in Kent (where I live)...looking at the box score (not that this would've made a difference), it is rarely a good thing when a team shoots the nearly the same percentage from the floor (45%) and the free throw line (46%) as the Raiders did last night.

kiltedbryan

Quote from: Toph on February 01, 2007, 08:33:31 AM
For the record, Otterbein has the listed attendance at 2019.

I noticed that in the box score.  That definitely doesn't accurately describe the number of people in the gym last night.  I would have put the number closer to 700-800, perhaps as much as 1,000.

Also, while I'm thinking of the fans (however many there were  ::) ), it was a pretty quiet and calm crowd last night.  The crowd as a whole was only "in the game" for some parts of the second half.  Also, the area that I think represented Otterbein's student section was hardly heard from until the overtime.

ScotsFan

Quote from: Toph on February 01, 2007, 08:33:31 AM
For the record, Otterbein has the listed attendance at 2019.
Maybe they take the actual attendance and multiply it by 2 or 3??? :P

David Collinge

My guess is that Otterbein has either a very poor mathematics department or a very successful accounting department.  ;)

Toph

Quote from: David Collinge on February 01, 2007, 11:31:45 AM
My guess is that Otterbein has either a very poor mathematics department or a very successful accounting department.  ;)

Kind of like Enron's accounting department?

onefan

I was at the game and took a head count three different times and never got over 600. I don't see the point. That's not even a good guess let alone an attempt to accurately reflect the size of the crowd. I think it does a disservice to those schools that make an effort to at least come close to a realistic figure. Maybe someone should let them know that they will not be kicked out of the OAC or NCAA DIII because of poor attendance figures. As to the student section being quiet, Security removed one of their more belligerant student fans momentarily in the second half and upon his return the entire section was quieter and the young man in question was silent the balance of the game...prior to his chat with Security he was tossing personal insults at Michael Hunter and Jake Cannan. I think the ref summoned security to get it stopped.

kiltedbryan

Quote from: onefan on February 01, 2007, 11:52:52 AM
I was at the game and took a head count three different times and never got over 600. I don't see the point. That's not even a good guess let alone an attempt to accurately reflect the size of the crowd. I think it does a disservice to those schools that make an effort to at least come close to a realistic figure. Maybe someone should let them know that they will not be kicked out of the OAC or NCAA DIII because of poor attendance figures.

I agree.  I didn't do a head count, but I do think they should get a more accurate count or just not list an attendance figure.  I'm really quite surprised that they couldn't get a better number- I was sold a physical ticket that was ripped up at the entry door to the gym...ticket rolls are usually individually numbered so that if you wrote down the starting ticket number in the booth and then subtracted that from the ending number at the end of the night, you could get a pretty good count on how many you sold.  Oh well.

onefan

I contacted the SID at Otterbein in an attempt to get an idea as to how the attendance figures are calculated. He was gracious enough to respond quite quickly....His response..."Its an estimate from the pressbox based upon a capacity crowd of 3,200. It's usually done right at the end of the game as an afterthought. They look out and decide whether the gym is 1/2 full,2/3 full etc." I guess it really doesn't matter, except it grinds my gears to see it in print as a statistic, when in fact their numbers are probably somewhere in the middle of the pack with all the rest of the OAC.

pennstghs

OAC fans may want to watch the Wittenberg Wooster game very closely as this game could be the difference in having just the conference tourney champ or adding another team as an at large because i think it Wittenberg wins that locks up our NCAA chances.
WE ARE.................PENN STATE!
"Let's GO WITT"

sac

The Otterbein attendance kind of reminds me of Adrian

Rochester--225
Manchester--100
Oberlin--100
Kzoo-150
Calvin--600
Hope 750
Tri-State--250
Albion--200

I actually think the Hope game is an underestimate, don't know what happened with Rochester.

No truth that they have gaurds at the door stopping people from entering if attendance is a nice round number.

My guess is most D3 attendance numbers are guesses.

TigerFan_1973

Quote from: pennstghs on February 02, 2007, 11:23:56 AM
OAC fans may want to watch the Wittenberg Wooster game very closely as this game could be the difference in having just the conference tourney champ or adding another team as an at large because i think it Wittenberg wins that locks up our NCAA chances.

Excellent point, pennstghs!

TF_1973

Toph

Quote from: onefan on February 02, 2007, 09:54:29 AM
I contacted the SID at Otterbein in an attempt to get an idea as to how the attendance figures are calculated. He was gracious enough to respond quite quickly....His response..."Its an estimate from the pressbox based upon a capacity crowd of 3,200. It's usually done right at the end of the game as an afterthought. They look out and decide whether the gym is 1/2 full,2/3 full etc." I guess it really doesn't matter, except it grinds my gears to see it in print as a statistic, when in fact their numbers are probably somewhere in the middle of the pack with all the rest of the OAC.

I meant to add earlier that I never had a bad experience at Otterbein as a member of the media and that the SID and his staff were always extremely hospitable and helpful.  I hope that the attendance issue doesn't reflect poorly on them.

David Collinge

Quote from: Toph on February 02, 2007, 03:58:40 PM

I meant to add earlier that I never had a bad experience at Otterbein as a member of the media and that the SID and his staff were always extremely hospitable and helpful.  I hope that the attendance issue doesn't reflect poorly on them.

I think the number of people who actually, deeply care about reported vs. actual attendance at a D3 game can be counted on the fingers of one hand...

...which adds up to 23 if you are at Otterbein.  ;D

kiltedbryan

Quote from: Toph on February 02, 2007, 03:58:40 PM

Thanks for getting this explanation.  I would have guessed that the capacity of Otterbein's gym was more around 2000-2500.  I really don't think this "reflects poorly" on their overall program.  Sure, it's not ideal and it'd be nice to have a better figure, but it really only bothers the anal-retentive part of me that wants to know every last detail of a game, and not the part of me that has an appreciation for the overall school/athletic program, etc.

wooscotsfan

All the 2/3 OAC Final Scores:

John Carroll 79  Ohio Northern 67
Capital 64  Muskingum 62
Heidelberg 87  Marietta 70
Wilmington 75  Baldwin-Wallace 68
Otterbein 78  Mount Union 68

So, we have a two way for first place:

JCU and CAP both at 10-4
ONU and Heide both at 9-5
Wilm, OTT and B-W all at 8-6
Musky at 4-10