MBB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Scots Hoops Fan, March 14, 2005, 09:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Toph on February 23, 2007, 08:41:27 AMAnd if we're going to get into this debate, I will not hear any arguments about the old orange and white Tampa Bay Bucs.  2nd best helmet design ever (first is Patriot Pat), and perfect color scheme for the team...they stunk, and they looked like it.

"I think it's appropriate that we look like giant Creamsicles, because we get licked every Sunday." -- John McKay
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

Quote from: scotsbrod on February 24, 2007, 12:00:45 AMBut on the other hand, JCU will have 7 such losses if they lose and become a Pool C tomorrow:  18-7, .720, with a pretty darn good QoWI.  I think even that is below the Pool C win % threshold from last year.

No, it's actually slightly above it. The Pool C team with the lowest RW% last season was Illinois Wesleyan at .714 (15-6).
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

kiltedbryan

Thanks Greg.  I was just guesstimating.  So we should consider JCU in the hunt regardless, because they'll still have a pretty darn good QoWI even with a loss tonight.

ChicagoHopeNut

Is Brandon Mimes always this dominant for JCU? And does he usually get to the line this often? 19 trips so far this game!
Tribes of primitve hunters, with rhinestone codpieces rampant, should build pyramids of Chevy engines covered in butterscotch syrup to exalt the diastolic, ineffable, scintillated and cacophonous salamander of truth which slimes and distracts from each and every orifice of your holy refrigerator.

kiltedbryan

Quote from: DCHopeNut on February 24, 2007, 08:58:14 PM
Is Brandon Mimes always this dominant for JCU? And does he usually get to the line this often? 19 trips so far this game!

The answer to your questions are yes, and yes.  He leads JCU in scoring (20.3 ppg), rebounding (10.6), blocks, steals, and FTs taken and made.  He doesn't actually shoot FTs very well, though, as he was only 60% coming into the OAC tournament.

kiltedbryan

Just to officially put this here:

OAC Tournament Final:

John Carroll University 73, Capital University 78

Capital clinches their bid for the NCAA tournament.

kiltedbryan

Congratulations to Capital University's Mens Basketball team on their OAC regular season and tournament championships!

Capital's victory tonight clinches their program's first NCAA berth since the 95-96 season, which was current head coach Damon Goodwin's second year with the program.  It is also Capital's first OAC tournament title since the 84-85 season.  This is a team that could surprise people in the NCAA tournament- I would personally not be surprised if they end the season with their name in the Top 25.

Capital's lone senior, and super-sub, Brian Alge, earned OAC tournament MVP honors.  Congratulations to him as well!  He has consistently impressed me, and during the Otterbein semifinal matchup, his energy and determination formed the emotional core of Capital's inspiried and thorough victory.

Regardless of what Capital manages in the NCAAs, the future for this program seems bright.  They return their entire starting five next year, and most of their key contributors from the bench, as well.  Whatever noise they make in the NCAA this year, I suspect the bar for next year will be set high.

Good luck to Capital and (hopefully!!) John Carroll in the NCAA tournament!

sac

Quote from: DCHopeNut on February 24, 2007, 08:58:14 PM

Brandon Mimes is an outstanding D3 athlete,  JCU with Mimes last year likely would have had a good chance to beat Hope in Holland.  He sat out 2006

Toph

I took in the Carroll/Capital game last night.  First and foremost, congratulations to Capital on the win.  Hopefully this means two OAC teams get in instead of one.

Was anyone else here at the game last night, because I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.  I think that Tim Glon (OAC Commish...and I hope he reads this) should be embarassed that this officiating crew was his championship crew.  They were horrendous on both sides.  Brandon Mimes travelled virtually everytime he touched the ball, Brian Alge was allowed to do pretty much whatever he wanted defensively (including holding onto the jersey) to Pete Moran, and they're lucky their wasn't a fight in the post with all the garbage they were letting the teams get away with.  What I really didn't understand was with the Alge/Moran thing, there were several occasions before an inbound that the officials would stop play to separate Alge from Moran.  If you're going to stop play, how can you not call a foul?  It didn't take long for them to completely lose control of the game, and on several occasions it seemed like they changed their calls because the crowd/benches made so much noise.

The two biggest calls happened to go Capital's way...Brandon Mimes' fourth and fifth fouls.  The fourth foul was a ticky-tac touch foul call, which I wouldn't have a problem with, except that both teams had been beating the crap out of each other all night.  His fifth foul for charging was questionable as well.  It didn't appear to me that the Capital defender had established position, it actaully looked like he stepped into Mimes.

Again, I'd love to hear everyone else's thoughts on this, but if that's your championship crew, you're in serious trouble.

woosterbooster

I wasn't at the game, but I'm familiar with how these two teams play the.  They reduce basketball to its lowest level, turning it into a complete backyard brawl.  They just dare the officials to call fouls, and eventually the officiating crews are worn down, giving in to the forceful will of the players. 

I don't give a damn when it's these two teams playing each other, as they deserve what they get, but when they face a team that actually plays legitimate basketball, that team will almost certainly get a poor shake from the refs as there just aren't enough calls ever made against the likes of JCU or Capital.

c-busballer

Toph,

Been a long time since I posted.  I was at the game and know and have seen the officials.  Not the best, but I did not notice them.  I have ties to both schools.  I went to see a good game.  Why do people constantly bring up officials or calls about games.  Ultimately, it is up to the players and coaches who decide the games.  The coaches prepare the players and it is up to the players to execute, adjust to the game and officials. 

Mimes 4th foul could have been let go.  I did not have a good view of the fifth, so no comment.  Mimes also shot 24 FT's by himself to Capitals 21 as a team. 

I hope JCU gets in, but they had the chance to host and the chance to win the game.  They had the lead at the end, but Capital made a few more plays.  Don't bring up one or two calls about the game.  It looks bad and makes you sound like some fans at another school.  You are better than that.  JCU had a great year and hopefully it continues. 

Hats off to both teams for a great effort and entertaining game.

Wooster Booster,  there are different ways to skin a cat.   

kiltedbryan

And tonight it's official:  Both Capital and John Carroll will be representing the OAC in this year's NCAA Tournament.  Congratulations to both teams on their inclusion!   :)

Toph

Quote from: Wooster Booster on February 25, 2007, 03:36:37 PM
I wasn't at the game, but I'm familiar with how these two teams play the.  They reduce basketball to its lowest level, turning it into a complete backyard brawl.  They just dare the officials to call fouls, and eventually the officiating crews are worn down, giving in to the forceful will of the players. 

I don't give a damn when it's these two teams playing each other, as they deserve what they get, but when they face a team that actually plays legitimate basketball, that team will almost certainly get a poor shake from the refs as there just aren't enough calls ever made against the likes of JCU or Capital.

I should've stopped reading after the first sentence...but it's pretty tough to see from that high horse, isn't it?  I was referencing specific instances in a specific game, and you turn it into a rant about Capital and JCU playing the "lowest form of basketball."  Who are you to decide what is and what isn't the proper "form" of basketball?  Come off it.

Quote from: c-busballer on February 25, 2007, 06:58:04 PM
Mimes 4th foul could have been let go.  I did not have a good view of the fifth, so no comment.  Mimes also shot 24 FT's by himself to Capitals 21 as a team.     

I thought Mimes' fifth was questionable, but I can see the charge being called.  I don't find it surprising that Mimes went to the line more than the entire Capital team.  Capital doesn't have the athletes in the post to stay with him, they had to foul and get him to the line to contain him.  Capital won, and deserved to win.  I hope I didn't sound like a guy who was bitching and moaning about losing.  I thought Goodwin and co. made great adjustments.  JCU could've run away with it in the second half when they got on that big run, but Capital hung around and made big shots when it counted (something Carroll certainly didn't do).

Now we just wait and see where everybody ends up.

Toph

JCU is in and hosting!!!  And if they win they play LEC in round 2!  Great draw for the Streaks!

cufan

Gotta love the NCAA, Cap beats JCU and goes on the road while JCU hosts.

Good luck to both teams!