Mr.Rights Thoughts

Started by Mr.Right, November 26, 2014, 11:37:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KnightFalcon

Quote from: Mr.Right on November 26, 2014, 10:49:23 PM
Quote from: 4231CenterBack on November 26, 2014, 11:56:34 AM
Big news....interesting timing

http://athletics.wheaton.edu/news/2014/11/24/MSOC_1124140757.aspx     

This is an excellent hire for this program. Former player, D3 head coaching experience and a similar type school, D1 assistant, young and experience in recruiting this type of player. I am befuddled by the timing but I assume the head coach gave his ok and I would be willing to bet he is out there now or at the very least will be in KC. I remember talking to the Gordon AD a while back and praising this kid for turning this once dormant program into something worth talking about before the next guy built it even more.
Yeah I agree - great hire for Wheaton and not that unexpected. I suspect he will be at the final 4 as well ... although that was likely anyway given that he is an alumni. Interesting that he has been working as a volunteer assistant at Navy with Brandt. He may bring a bit of the Messiah approach to Wheaton now. Not a bad apprenticeship he has had ... assistant to Joe Bean for several years and now Dave Brandt.

dacac

Quote from: NCAC New England on November 27, 2014, 09:51:48 AM
It's a very fair question, Mr.Right, and your reply was non-responsive.

You have presented yourself as knowing (for a fact) very confidential information about college admissions and who coaches wanted or did not want regarding specific student-athletes.  You certainly did not present your information as rumor.  No one outside of the coaches and admissions departments would know that type of information (as fact), so asking you to back up your claims is fair.  Moreover, you have not explained how publishing such alleged accurate information of such a confidential nature on a public website like this is 1) not a violation of someone's trust on the one hand; and 2) aside from those violations of trust, not an ethical violation of the privacy of 18, 19, and 20 year old kids.

Not to mention that if anyone else had presented similar information you would be the first to demand accountability.

How dare he speculate on the college decisions of high school athletes. Such disregard for their privacy is unheard of... or wait... https://www.rivals.com/

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Mr.Right on November 26, 2014, 10:43:12 PM
Quote from: Christan Shirk on November 26, 2014, 01:00:43 PM
Quote from: Mr.Right on November 26, 2014, 11:40:06 AM
I miss the coaching carousel that this site used to do. Other sports do it so why not this site? There are some top jobs in D3 that need to be filled this offseason and this topic gets my blood moving.

Should I take that as you volunteering to join the D3soccer.com staff to head up the Coaching Carousel?   ;)

Haha I realize you guys are really busy with family and the like but that was a great feature to keep tabs on coaches and programs

Thank you.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Mr.Right

I think this experience will be better than San Antonio soccer wise but not hospitality wise.

http://www.sportingkc.com/swope-soccer-village

Mr.Right

As much as we all thought Messiah's 2014 was their best team I really feel now that 2013 could have been. Josh Wood was a legit D3 / mid-major D1 striker. That kid could finish and I feel that Messiah did not miss his presence until the weather got colder and their opponents got tougher.

Mr.Right

After taking a peak at Amherst roster they lose one solid player- Wirz. One long throw decent player-VanWie. One mainstay since 2008-Heo.

Wirz is a big loss but Amherst has shown year in and year out that they can replace central defenders consistently. I really would like Aoyama to move back to wingback but there is no way Serpone moves him back there after a year in the middle. They really bring back a VERY STRONG team next year and with a year more experience for the underclassman it is looking good.

Mr.Right

I really enjoyed the Durocher article but if I was to be a bit picky I think it ended somewhat abruptly. The beginning was excellent and his personal history was excellent but I would have liked to have gotten a few more guys quoted from some of his other special teams. Off the top of my head guys like DeMello, Carruth, Watson, Gorman, Abernethy, Sutton and Crooker. Sorry if I missed a few studs but you get the idea

Corazon

Quote from: Mr.Right on November 28, 2014, 02:44:18 PM
After taking a peak at Amherst roster they lose one solid player- Wirz. One long throw decent player-VanWie. One mainstay since 2008-Heo.

Wirz is a big loss but Amherst has shown year in and year out that they can replace central defenders consistently. I really would like Aoyama to move back to wingback but there is no way Serpone moves him back there after a year in the middle. They really bring back a VERY STRONG team next year and with a year more experience for the underclassman it is looking good.

Agree. Amherst will be loaded for bear. I have an urge to look ahead to next year's NESCAC rosters but I should be respectful of Tufts' ongoing season. I wish I had a better sense of the incoming recruiting classes. With the NESCACs not making such announcements, makes projecting much more difficult than D1s and other conferences.

KnightFalcon

Quote from: Mr.Right on November 28, 2014, 02:33:30 PM
I think this experience will be better than San Antonio soccer wise but not hospitality wise.

Can't beat the hospitality of San Antonio. The scale of the venue will be more suitable to a D3 crowd than the Scorpions stadium was, but there is no comparison to the Riverwalk. Will be curious to see which team has the bigger following. I suspect Wheaton will get its share as it is but a 7-8 hour drive from their campus.

KnightFalcon

Quote from: Mr.Right on November 28, 2014, 02:36:47 PM
As much as we all thought Messiah's 2014 was their best team I really feel now that 2013 could have been. Josh Wood was a legit D3 / mid-major D1 striker. That kid could finish and I feel that Messiah did not miss his presence until the weather got colder and their opponents got tougher.
Yes - would have been interesting to see how Messiah would have attacked with Wood up top and Payne playing just behind him as they had done the previous 2 years (and 2 titles). My impression from 2012 was that their team really took off when they made the switch about 5-6 games into the season to start Wood up top, drop Payne behind him and move Thompson out wide. That lineup of 4 juniors and 6 sophomores pretty much stayed in tact for 2 full seasons and only one loss to York (1-0). And while there is plenty of talent at Messiah, the 4 starting seniors that they lost from last year were very key, cornerstone type players that provided a ton of leadership and complemented the bigger named players of this year's senior class. Will be interesting to see how they do next year after having lost a total of 10 starters from the prior 2 seasons. They will be young, but well-coached and ready come next fall I'm sure. Just will literally be a completely new team than the one that took the field against Camden in 2013 final. That said, with the way Messiah subs, most of the new starters actually played in that final albeit as substitutes.

Mr.Right

Quote from: Corazon on November 28, 2014, 04:18:51 PM
Quote from: Mr.Right on November 28, 2014, 02:44:18 PM

Agree. Amherst will be loaded for bear. I have an urge to look ahead to next year's NESCAC rosters but I should be respectful of Tufts' ongoing season. I wish I had a better sense of the incoming recruiting classes. With the NESCACs not making such announcements, makes projecting much more difficult than D1s and other conferences.

Well this is still a good time to look ahead and follow Tufts. This off-week still has a lot of action on this board and why not use it to discuss other non-final 4 but I hear ya.

Mr.Right

Quote from: KnightFalcon on November 28, 2014, 04:40:06 PM
Quote from: Mr.Right on November 28, 2014, 02:36:47 PM
Yes - would have been interesting to see how Messiah would have attacked with Wood up top and Payne playing just behind him as they had done the previous 2 years (and 2 titles). My impression from 2012 was that their team really took off when they made the switch about 5-6 games into the season to start Wood up top, drop Payne behind him and move Thompson out wide. That lineup of 4 juniors and 6 sophomores pretty much stayed in tact for 2 full seasons and only one loss to York (1-0). And while there is plenty of talent at Messiah, the 4 starting seniors that they lost from last year were very key, cornerstone type players that provided a ton of leadership and complemented the bigger named players of this year's senior class. Will be interesting to see how they do next year after having lost a total of 10 starters from the prior 2 seasons. They will be young, but well-coached and ready come next fall I'm sure. Just will literally be a completely new team than the one that took the field against Camden in 2013 final. That said, with the way Messiah subs, most of the new starters actually played in that final albeit as substitutes.

Well done Knight. Could not agree more

Mr.Right

Quote from: KnightFalcon on November 28, 2014, 04:20:32 PM
Quote from: Mr.Right on November 28, 2014, 02:33:30 PM

Can't beat the hospitality of San Antonio. The scale of the venue will be more suitable to a D3 crowd than the Scorpions stadium was, but there is no comparison to the Riverwalk. Will be curious to see which team has the bigger following. I suspect Wheaton will get its share as it is but a 7-8 hour drive from their campus.

Good question to who will be well represented. I believe Wheaton as well but it makes me long for the days of the "Home field" Final 4. Crowds would be 1,500-2,000 deep sometimes and basically all students. It led to a great atmosphere but did create an unfair advantage for one team because it was not always rewarded to the best team but determined by geography and whether the school applied to host it. The Oneonta crowd last weekend reminded me of those days as that was fun to watch

KnightFalcon

yes - Oneonta would actually be a great site for the final 4 ... was out there last year watching Messiah, F&M, Claremont-M-S and Oneonta in a tournament. Student Body was out in force and the crowd was very enthusiastic and well-behaved. Nice venue and surface too. Seating might be a little light but plenty of standing room around much of the field. Only trouble is its a bit tough to get there ... had to fly into Albany and then drive 90 minutes.
Didn't SLU host about a decade ago only to have a snow storm hit?

Mr.Right

2002 when SLU hosted. I was not up there but maybe one of our SLU friends could fill in some details

Speaking of Claremont-M-S-Williams grad Dan Calichman resigned in mid september to join Greg Vanney(former USMNT player) as his assistant for Toronto FC. Ironically, he replaces old Nescac coach Fran O'Leary. CMS gave the current assistant the interim tag but have opened the job up nationally. Nice location and good school it would be a nice gig to have