Lacrosse

Started by drisclaw, July 03, 2011, 09:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jknezek

Quote from: amh63 on May 25, 2016, 02:00:13 PM
A closing note for Amherst Lax this year.   On Amherst social media section wrt to Commencement 2016, there was an Instagram photo of the women Lacrosse seniors.....standing at the War Memorial in their capes on, holding their class canes in the air and smoking their cigars!  Seems a new tradition is being set :).  Pic had over 200 likes.  Brave new world for the ladies....wife laughed and shook her head.  Players/grads smoking cigars....I associate with football. 8-)

I think that's awesome. Cigars as an occasional celebration is something I can be behind, and as a father of a young daughter  without ties to Amherst, I would love to show her this pic. Even sans context, it sounds like something she would benefit from.

amh63

jknezek....the Instagram pic IS still on the Amherst website....Reunion has started today so you need a bit of care.  Go to the Commencement site and look there for "social media" link.  My daughter in Groton NY will not show my grand daughter the pic....but I will :)

Vandy74

Quote from: amh63 on May 25, 2016, 08:09:04 PM
jknezek....the Instagram pic IS still on the Amherst website....Reunion has started today so you need a bit of care.  Go to the Commencement site and look there for "social media" link.  My daughter in Groton NY will not show my grand daughter the pic....but I will :)

Very cool pic. 8-)  For those with disapproving mothers, here's the link:    https://www.instagram.com/p/BFu0lJiImZN

PolarCat

Well the Pioneer Valley was once home to a lot of tobacco farms, so the photo is fitting.  But are you sure that those are Cohibas, and not the Bob Marley / Cheech & Chong version?  Probably a lot more fun, and I bet there were lots of good munchies available.

Kidding aside, I'm glad they got to graduate with their classmates, and are all smiles.

Vandy74

Quote from: PolarCat on May 26, 2016, 12:28:02 PM
Well the Pioneer Valley was once home to a lot of tobacco farms, so the photo is fitting.  But are you sure that those are Cohibas, and not the Bob Marley / Cheech & Chong version?  Probably a lot more fun, and I bet there were lots of good munchies available.

Kidding aside, I'm glad they got to graduate with their classmates, and are all smiles.

I know you're basically a football and lax rooter, depending on the school PolarCat, but congrats to the Bowdoin men's tennis team on it's first national championship.  5-0 winners over the Panthers yesterday.

PolarCat

PolarKitten and I watched the webcast together yesterday,  A quality win by a great group of guys, a couple of whom are still playing in the individual (not team) singles and doubles tournament.  There will be a massive party of the Men's Tennis and Women's LAX squads this summer in Chatham or Nantucket to celebrate.

Are you headed to Philly this weekend to watch the Panthers?  Bring me back a cheese steak and a piece of Shoo Fly pie if you are!

Vandy74

Quote from: PolarCat on May 27, 2016, 06:26:58 AM
PolarKitten and I watched the webcast together yesterday,  A quality win by a great group of guys, a couple of whom are still playing in the individual (not team) singles and doubles tournament.  There will be a massive party of the Men's Tennis and Women's LAX squads this summer in Chatham or Nantucket to celebrate.

Are you headed to Philly this weekend to watch the Panthers?  Bring me back a cheese steak and a piece of Shoo Fly pie if you are!

No travel plans to Philly PolarCat.  I plan to let Middhoops feed me tomorrow night.  Hopefully with more lacrosse to enjoy on Sunday.    MC men's tennis still has a team alive in the doubles competition.

magicman

Should be a good game tomorrow when the Middlebury Ladies face off against the defending champion Cortland Red Dragons in the National Semifinals of the NCAA Lacrosse tournament. I think the Cortland Ladies will defend their title but if anyone can stop them from doing so it could be the Panthers. Still I'm betting Vandy, that the drinks will be on him when he makes his visit to Memorial Hall this coming basketball season. Wish these two were meeting in the championship game instead of the semifinals. Don't think that the Red Dragons will win this one by a 14 or 16 goal margin like their previous 3 NCAA games. I see a final score of something like a 15-9 Cortland win.

Hoping that the Cortland Ladies can gain a measure of revenge against the NESCAC for the whipping the Tufts Men put on the Cortland Men in the 2nd round of the NCAA Lacrosse tournament. I expect the Jumbos will make it 3 National Titles in a row when they take on Salisbury on Sunday for all the marbles. The Jumbos marched through New York beating Cortland, Ithaca and St Lawrence, all by double digit margins. Can you say juggernaut? Rooting for the Jumbos to keep the title in the Northeastern part of the country.

Cortland Men trying to repeat as the National Champions in baseball. They won their first game today in the DIII World Series as the D3 National Pitcher of the Year, Cortland's Seth Lamando, threw a shutout against Emory University and defeated the Eagles by a 1-0 score in a pitcher's duel. Lamando had 10 strikouts and scattered 6 hits. He improved his season's record to 10-0 and lowered his ERA to a miniscule 0.72  Cortland's  Paul Dondero homered to account for the only run in the game.

amh63

Magicman, Vandy74.......it is amazing to me that you guys can stay up so late!   It must be in the genes.....up in Groton, next to Cortland, and it is not the North region air.
Thanks for the latest info.

Vandy74

A great win for Middlebury over #1 and previously undefeated Cortland.  16-11.  The Panthers have a short history of jumping out to early leads against the Red Dragons only to see them come back and win.  Today was different fortunately.  And none other than Hoopsville's Dave McHugh covering the vid-steam action.  I'll be looking forward to drinking on magicman's nickel in Plattsburgh next winter. :D

Standout performance by Panther GK Katie Mandigo who has done nothing but steadily improve since she hung up her ice hockey skates and joined the team at mid-season. 

Possibly a more in depth post later but for now I'm just enjoying the continuation of HC Kate Livesay's inaugural season at the helm and hoping for a Trinity victory in the later game.  Go Bantams, today anyway. ;)

middhoops

Magicman, your spell isn't broken on me yet.  I officially spot you a mulligan because women's lax isn't in the sphere of your genius for picking games.
Great win for a Midd team that is peaking at the perfect time, with one rather large contest to go.
Congrats to coach Livesay (and her parents) on a huge win over a tremendous Cortland St. team today.

magicman

Quote from: Vandy74 on May 28, 2016, 02:43:18 PM
A great win for Middlebury over #1 and previously undefeated Cortland.  16-11.  The Panthers have a short history of jumping out to early leads against the Red Dragons only to see them come back and win.  Today was different fortunately.  And none other than Hoopsville's Dave McHugh covering the vid-steam action.  I'll be looking forward to drinking on magicman's nickel in Plattsburgh next winter. :D

Standout performance by Panther GK Katie Mandigo who has done nothing but steadily improve since she hung up her ice hockey skates and joined the team at mid-season. 

Possibly a more in depth post later but for now I'm just enjoying the continuation of HC Kate Livesay's inaugural season at the helm and hoping for a Trinity victory in the later game.  Go Bantams, today anyway. ;)

That means of course that you will be making the trip over to the Burgh this winter. The drinks are only on me if you bring that long unseen cousin of yours, who wrote the post below, with you.  ;D

Glad that if Cortland had to lose it was to another of my favorite teams. Can the first year Panther's coach pull off the amazing and win it all in her first year on the job?  Here's hoping. Good luck to the Panthers in the championship game.

Quote from: middhoops on May 28, 2016, 04:00:30 PM
Magicman, your spell isn't broken on me yet.  I officially spot you a mulligan because women's lax isn't in the sphere of your genius for picking games.
Great win for a Midd team that is peaking at the perfect time, with one rather large contest to go.
Congrats to coach Livesay (and her parents) on a huge win over a tremendous Cortland St. team today.

I was close with my final score of 15-9 but had the wrong team on top. The 16-11 final wasn't as close as it looks as the Panthers had 7 goal leads on several occasions in the 2nd half.

As you stated Lacrosse isn't in my wheelhouse. I defer to resident genius Vandy on that front. I'd say the Panther victory was something of an upset, as the Cortland women were defending champs, holders of a 40 game winning streak and nobody came close to beating them all year long as they usually won by double digits, but Middlebury made it look so easy, you can't say they got lucky.   

Vandy74

Congratulations to the Middlebury women on their championship winning performance today.  5-0 at the half.  9-5 the final score.  So happy for HC Kate Livesay, her players and especially the seniors who have been so much fun to watch play these past four years.   Once the nerves settle a bit I'll watch the replay on the ncaa site.

magicman

Glad to see the Panthers followed up their big win over Cortland with a National Championship. Congratulations to them. 

amh63

Me too! :)  Congrats to the lady Panthers Title win. Thought I saw Chrissy Ritter's parents in the stands...online. 
The Tufts lost to Salisbury was a " strange " game to me....long scoring runs by both teams.  Looked like a blow out for the Seagulls, only to have the Jumbos come right back.
All In all, it was a nice showcase for the Nescac.