FB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sac

Albion has a web page https://www.albion.edu/together-safely/health-and-wellness/testing-updates

Albion's student restrictions and tracking are much tougher than anyone else's I think.

Older info but Hope had 38 positives during move-in, I think I just saw they had zero new cases this last week.

formerd3db

sac,
Sorry to report (from my anonymous sources, of course) that, unfortunately, is not the case regarding last week/this week, including some athletes. That is all I can share at this time. I also think you will find that Hope's restictions and tracking are just as stringent/detailed.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

formerd3db

Congratulations to recent Alma College graduate  Mason Ippel'20 who was awarded the 2019-20 MIAA Annual Tom Renner Student Sports Information Award! A nice article on Ippel relating this recognition can be seen on the Alma College athletic website. He was a senior QB on Alma's football team last fall, seeing much action in contributing to their 6-4 season. Thereafter, he attended to his duties as a student in the sports information department in the winter and spring, particularly with the baseball team according to the article, which also noted he plans to pursue a position in sports analysis. The award is named after longtime MIAA publicist and historian, former Hope SID Tom Renner. Several Alma College students have been selected for the award since its inception.

In other Alma news, sad to hear that former longtime Alma College baseball head coach/administrator (and former basketball head coach and football assistant coach at the school) Bill Klenk recently passed away at his home in Florida in August. He was 83. Klenk, an Alma College alum, was also a great athlete there in sports. He was a great coach, educator and mentor to many student-athletes at Alma throughout his career. He had retired in 1997 and the Alma baseball stadium at the college, Klenk Park, is named in his honor. He will be greatly missed, but fondly remembered. His obituary related that a commemoration is to be planned for next spring's annual Klenk Open, a longtime annual Alma College athletics golf outing and fundraiser named in his honor. I join in with many in sending condolences to his family, friends, colleagues and the Alma College community.

Edited for typos :)
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

jaybird44

Hello all!

Usually I post items about WashU games that I have or will broadcast, or about general observations from other games and events.  However, this post regards a topic that is quite a bit different--with the athletic shoe being on the broadcaster's foot.

I am going to attempt to cover 100 miles in a solo charity ultramarathon through an event that I have organized.  "Rett Gets Rocked Virtual Ultra Weekend" will be conducted in the subdivision where I live in St. Charles, MO, to raise awareness and research funds for Rett syndrome.  I get started at 9 a.m. Central on Saturday, October 3 and end at 5 p.m. Sunday, October 4.  Proceeds from the event will be split between Rettsyndrome.org (the only national organization spearheading research and providing resources for affected patients and their families) and the Rett Spectrum Clinic--a collaboration between the WashU School of Medicine and St. Louis Children's Hospital.

Rett syndrome is a rare, non-inherited neurological disorder that is caused by a gene mutation in the brain.  Rett strikes typically when a child is 6-18 months old, and it takes away the child's ability to move and communicate.  Most of them end up in wheelchairs with active minds, but mired in the physical rubble that Rett creates.  And, the neurological damage prevents verbal communication and arm and hand movement for sign language.

In essence, Rett does to a child what Lucy in the "Peanuts" comic strip does to Charlie Brown when he tries to kick the football that she is holding.  The only difference is that Charlie Brown can get back up to try again.  Those who are afflicted with Rett syndrome don't get another chance to enjoy a vibrant life.

If you would like to make a donation to the cause, here is the link to my Rett Racers donation page:  https://rettracer.everydayhero.com/us/rett-gets-rocked-2020

Thanks for your time and consideration, and let's hope that we get back to playing and broadcasting sports much sooner than later!

Jay Murry
Play-By-Play Announcer, Washington University in St. Louis
Event Director, Rett Gets Rocked Virtual Ultra Weekend

sac

bit tardy on this but the MIAA put together its 5 game conference schedule for next Spring.
https://www.miaa.org/sports/fball/2019-20/standings

Of note, each team gets a bye week and will miss one opponent except Adrian, who will play each of the other 6 schools.  I'm not quite sure why exactly but I believe its a convoluted set of circumstances and reasoning involving Adrian and Trine's decision to play this Fall.  I assume Adrian will forgo the extra year of eligibility for its student athletes or appeal the NCAA as will Trine.  No idea  (stay tuned there)

Will not play:
Hope-Kzoo   no Wooden Shoes,  first time they haven't played since '43 to '45
Albion-Trine
Alma-Olivet   This is something like the 4th or 5th oldest series in the league

TUAngola

Trine will begin it's "independent" 3 game fall football season this Saturday with a scheduled game at Adrian.  Both Trine and Adrian will also have games against Bluffton and Manchester from the HCAC.  The scimmage against IWU and game against Judson were both cancelled, so who knows if the game against Adrian will be a go or not.  Stay tuned.

(All the other Trine fall sports teams have had games/matches/meets in soccer, cross country, tennis, and golf so far, the volleyball team is scheduled to begin a very short fall season tommorow night.  Adrian, Calvin and Olivet have been the other MIAA schools who have participated in fall sports)

TUAngola

Shamrock

TUA,  What are the rules regarding fan attendance for these games?

TUAngola

Quote from: Shamrock on October 06, 2020, 11:57:38 AM

I believe each players parents have the option to attend, but you have to provide your names to the University staff to get on a list, if you're not on the list you don't get in.  No general admission, no students except for cheerleaders, dance team, marching band, etc.

monsoon

Quote from: Inkblot on October 02, 2020, 03:34:22 PM
Finlandia is on its way out: https://umacathletics.com/news/2020/9/30/umac-adds-finlandia-as-associate-football-member-for-2021-season.aspx

Hopefully for Finlandia this opens the door for them to become full members of the UMAC one day. It's the logical landing place for them and the only one that makes any sense geographically.

Shamrock

Quote from: TUAngola on October 06, 2020, 06:51:20 PM
Quote from: Shamrock on October 06, 2020, 11:57:38 AM

I believe each players parents have the option to attend, but you have to provide your names to the University staff to get on a list, if you're not on the list you don't get in.  No general admission, no students except for cheerleaders, dance team, marching band, etc.

Thanks!  Wondering if they were going to requiring testing of that group. 

"May you live in interesting times."

sac

Quote from: monsoon on October 06, 2020, 08:57:39 PM
Quote from: Inkblot on October 02, 2020, 03:34:22 PM
Finlandia is on its way out: https://umacathletics.com/news/2020/9/30/umac-adds-finlandia-as-associate-football-member-for-2021-season.aspx

Hopefully for Finlandia this opens the door for them to become full members of the UMAC one day. It's the logical landing place for them and the only one that makes any sense geographically.

Finlandia's best option has always been to not be located in Hancock, Michigan.

TUAngola

TUAngola

Today's football game with Bluffton has been canceled.  Ohio has restrictions for anyone leaving state and traveling to another state with a high covid positivity rate (Indiana is at 15%).  If they do leave the state then they would have to quarantine when they got back home.

Adrian and Manchester are still on for tonight as far as I know.

Trine football ends fall slate at 2-0.  Kudos to Trine administration and athletic dept for finding a way to allow Trine student athletes to safely compete in fall sports, albeit a shortened fall schedule for all Trine athletics.