MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

playball

Quote from: A Buc Forever on January 28, 2015, 09:33:28 PM
...Playball is right...

Awe shucks!  Thanks Buc!  That's the best thing I've read on here besides Rat calling me a Sasquatch!

From my point of view as an outsider but with knowledge of the WW program, Hayford was an amazing recruiter, fundraiser, and game time coach.  I've also heard that the practice coaching load was mainly handled by assistants, and Buc let me know if I'm wrong on that or what David thinks.

Can someone explain how a team scores 38 points in a 40 minute game without point shaving being brought up?!  Just kidding, I know these kids are playing hard but damn! Tough to see.hopefully this season serves as motivation this off season!

WW will drop one resting some of its guys late in the season.

WM can get worse, we saw worse from them for years!  FWIW, that university has really infused it's sports with adequate funding.  It's nice to see that happen in the conference.  Amazing what a little bit of cash can do, right Doc?

Linf might steal one from someone, but it's a long shot.

Question for everyone on the board.  What do you feel your team does that other teams do not do in order to achieve success?  I'm curious to hear where this goes

playball

Rat, spot on list!  GFU should be at the bottom just for the fact that they fired Sundquist who was reigning COTY!

blackhawks4

In fear of this turning into a lovefest, this is the last nice thing I'll say all year--Rat, that was solid.

My two cents:

WW is an obvious one.

My #2 is Linfield--for all the points that Rat brought up.  The football argument in nonsensical to me and I don't buy it.  I've never been around an athlete worth his salt who avoided a school with a good football program. In fact, when looking for a school, i think having more jocks around would be a huge attraction.

I'm with UPS at 3

I have a feeling that convincing a kid to come to Walla Walla for 4 years is a little tougher sell than we're giving it credit for on this board.  I put them in the next group with Willamette, the LC hippies and GF. 

Pacific and PLU are the toughest jobs in the conference.  I would think a place like PLU would just try to reload with JC players year after year.

D O.C.

Quote9) LIN (football is king)

And National Championships in softball and baseball are chopped liver.

Bells! Geo Fox has two National Championships to Whitworth's how many?

madzillagd

Quote from: blackhawks4 on January 29, 2015, 10:41:09 AM
My #2 is Linfield--for all the points that Rat brought up.  The football argument in nonsensical to me and I don't buy it.  I've never been around an athlete worth his salt who avoided a school with a good football program. In fact, when looking for a school, i think having more jocks around would be a huge attraction.

My niece plays a sport at Linfield and has talked about being a 2nd class citizen when it comes to football vs everyone else.  For example, when she was hurt last year she couldn't get any assistance by the training staff who told her to go away, that they only had time for the football players.  She ended up having to do her entire rehab stint herself off campus and going home on weekends to get her PT uncle to take care of it. 

playball

Quote from: D O.C. on January 29, 2015, 11:10:51 AM
Quote9) LIN (football is king)

And National Championships in softball and baseball are chopped liver.

Bells! Geo Fox has two National Championships to Whitworth's how many?

Softball: football assistant is the head coach. (Who, if you didn't know, divorced his wife to marry a former player.  Not claiming indiscretion, but are you serious?)

Baseball: Carnahan is the AD and gets funding regardless.  What is he going to do, not feed himself?

Also, there have been moments in time when the football boosters have influenced linfield athletic department decisions regarding other sports by threatening to pull donations.  Rat was on it.  I wouldn't touch Linfields head coaching job unless there was an AD who had zero ties to Linfield.

playball

Quote from: madzillagd on January 29, 2015, 12:22:39 PM
Quote from: blackhawks4 on January 29, 2015, 10:41:09 AM

My niece plays a sport at Linfield and has talked about being a 2nd class citizen when it comes to football vs everyone else.  For example, when she was hurt last year she couldn't get any assistance by the training staff who told her to go away, that they only had time for the football players.  She ended up having to do her entire rehab stint herself off campus and going home on weekends to get her PT uncle to take care of it.

Totally believe it.  I had an inflamed disc in my back my sophomore or junior seasons.  I was told to deal with it and sent away.  It was a game day even! 

blackhawks4

HUGE games tonight in Eastern Washington.  If WMN wants to make a run at the crown, A) they need help (out of their control), and B) what they can control starts tonight.  They have to take care of business against LC at home.  If they drop another one, it's 2nd place...again.  They get their shot playing host to WW on Tuesday.

On the WW front, Willamette tonight, WMN Tuesday, and @ UPS are the only conceivable L's left on their schedule.

catjumper

During the first half I heard the George Fox announcer refer to "arch-rival Linfield." Who knew?
;)

wildcat11

Go 'Cats. Congrats to the guys on getting their 1st NWC win of the year.

catjumper

blackhawks4

Quote from: blackhawks4 on January 08, 2015, 01:36:40 AM
Honestly, I don't think WW has a prayer in Walla Walla.   

It's time.  Now is the time.

Andy Jamison - Walla Walla Wildcat

I have always felt that the Linfield job is one of the best in the conference. What coach wouldn't want to be at a place where the expectations for the football and baseball teams are conference championships at a minimum and deep runs in the playoffs. That should fuel the competitiveness of everyone associated with the basketball program.  Linfield has a good location near Portland-ish, is cost competitive with the other schools, the admissions department works well with the coaches to get students enrolled, and the facilities are pretty nice. A coach needs to play more roles at Linfield with teaching and faculty responsibilities and he needs to fundraise for his program.

Whitworth seems to be a good job
Lewis and Clark would seem to be the worst with the student body, tough academics, and admissions..
Whitman in Walla Walla can be a great situation if the administration supports sports which wasn't the case when I was growing up there.  Students don't pay any attention to the town after the first year.. They refer to it as the "Whitman Bubble" where Whitties have almost zero contact with the townies.  Whitman has a huge endowment and with today's screaming need for diversity seems to be able to attract and retain some players that otherwise wouldn't consider living in Wsquared.

There really wouldn't be a bad job in the conference if the admissions staff got along with the athletic department and programs were funded to the necessary level. Each school can attract student athletes on their own merits.

Andy Jamison - Walla Walla Wildcat

Was at the Fox game today and spoke briefly with Batiuk.. Sounds like his ankle problems might be career ending... Big time bummer for him.. He had such a promising start to his career... Great to see the W... I'm impressed by the effort and intensity displayed by the Cats... We need to get quicker at the 1-2-3...

A Buc Forever

Quote from: blackhawks4 on January 31, 2015, 12:59:12 PM
HUGE games tonight in Eastern Washington.  If WMN wants to make a run at the crown, A) they need help (out of their control), and B) what they can control starts tonight.  They have to take care of business against LC at home.  If they drop another one, it's 2nd place...again.  They get their shot playing host to WW on Tuesday.

On the WW front, Willamette tonight, WMN Tuesday, and @ UPS are the only conceivable L's left on their schedule.

I don't think WW will lose two games. The regular season crown is probably theirs. However, it is the league tourney crown that matters.  Doubt our conference gets two spots in the ncaa tourney.

Congrats to LF on a win. Sad news for Batiuk. I am still worried about LF's program. If you don't have athletes capable of playing at the 1, 2 and 3 your second year in at this level you can't recruit or assess talent properly.