BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by RedmenFB44, January 05, 2006, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bishopleftiesdad

I do not envy the teams that have to go through this. I hope the  spring comes early and the snow melts quickly. Good luck to all.

BigPoppa

The players in the cold-weather states don't know any other way... that is how we have always played:)
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Bishopleftiesdad

Bishopleftiesdad

I will have to look at some rosters and check out where these teams recruit from. I know an Ohio school that is trying to recruit kids form warm weather states like Texas and California. I can imagine the shock for young men who have never experienced this type of weather.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on March 07, 2014, 12:00:53 PM
I will have to look at some rosters and check out where these teams recruit from. I know an Ohio school that is trying to recruit kids form warm weather states like Texas and California. I can imagine the shock for young men who have never experienced this type of weather.

NO ONE has experienced weather quite this bad!  But, yeah, northern schools not infrequently lose southern kids after they go thru one winter.

Gregory Sager

Another frustrating loss for the Vikings today, this time in extra innings. Ohio Northern scored three times in the tenth inning to top NPU, 8-5, in the opening game of the Florida trip for the Park. The Vikings had the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth and nobody out with the game tied at 5, and couldn't get the winning run across.

The good news is that Nick Soldano is starting to look like his old self again. He gave up only one earned run in seven innings today. Unfortunately, he gave up four runs total; NPU's fielding has not been particularly good thus far this season, at least according to the numbers.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Chantastic

I've heard that Soldano's velo is significantly down post injury. Is anyone able to confirm or deny that?

Mr. Ypsi

The hazards of being a northern team going south: IWU was 3-0 when they started.  Tuesday they lost to apparently a bad Mississippi College team (it was their 13th game; our 4th); Wednesday they were no-hit by a so-so Millsaps team and lost 3-1 (their 17th game; our 5th). :P

I was quite surprised to see that IWU got in the games this weekend (and won them all).  I thought there wasn't a snowball's (sorry!) chance in hell that the fields would be playable.

Mr. Ypsi

BTW, we did get the snowpack down to about 6-7 inches during a warmup, but yesterday got another 5-6 inches of snow.  Tomorrow and Saturday will be another thaw, then next week we'll be in the 40s from Tuesday thru at least Saturday.  That should pretty much clear us out from all but the largest snow piles.  (There are some mountains of plowed snow in parking lots that may not completely go until May!)

Mr. Ypsi

I see that IWU opens conference play in Kenosha on March 29 and 30 - anyone know if the field is likely to be playable by then?

I just checked the boxscore on the Blackburn game that I thought had been in Bloomington - it was actually in Mississippi!  So I don't know whether or not the Titan's field is yet playable.

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 17, 2014, 06:04:59 PM
I see that IWU opens conference play in Kenosha on March 29 and 30 - anyone know if the field is likely to be playable by then?

I just checked the boxscore on the Blackburn game that I thought had been in Bloomington - it was actually in Mississippi!  So I don't know whether or not the Titan's field is yet playable.
Weather may be a factor. http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Kenosha+WI+USWI0360
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

Gregory Sager

NPU's home opener has been pushed back to Friday.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

BigPoppa

Carthage was BLASTED by Buena Vista last night in AZ by a 15-2 score. Either the Redmen are not as good as I thought or the Beavers are much better than I thought.

BigPoppa

Being a Carthage fan could be the death of me this season. It appears they don't have much interest in getting anyone out. After allowing 15 vs Buena Vista, they allowed 13 vs Carleton (13 to CARLETON!!), and a currently tied in the 9th with Middlebury... all programs they have routinely pounded in years past.

mr_b

Quote from: BigPoppa on March 25, 2014, 02:08:29 PM
Being a Carthage fan could be the death of me this season. It appears they don't have much interest in getting anyone out. After allowing 15 vs Buena Vista, they allowed 13 vs Carleton (13 to CARLETON!!), and a currently tied in the 9th with Middlebury... all programs they have routinely pounded in years past.
That's got to be frustrating... Carthage teams in the past have featured some outstanding pitching.