FB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oxy1995

Quote from: OxyBob on February 20, 2018, 04:39:58 PM
From The Occidental:

Task force determines football future
http://www.theoccidentalweekly.com/news/2018/02/13/task-force-determines-football-future/2891177

Notable quote:

"The recommendation that was presented to the board, I was a minority in, so I did not vote to support the continuance of the team," [current student and task force member Micol] Garinkol said. "And it is my opinion that the plan that we made to go forward, that the board approved of, isn't a sustainable one, and I don't think it's gonna be one that's gonna result in a competitive team in the next few years, and you'll see another committee in the next few years to solve that."

There's a guy who sees right through the unreality and the BS.

OxyBob
I will attend the football alumni meeting on March 10th and see what they have to say.  Any odds on if the President and/or AD will be there?

RFB

Quote from: Oxy1995 on February 21, 2018, 10:05:06 AM
Oxy has their new OC. 
http://www.oxyathletics.com/sports/fball/2017-18/releases/20180219vlno1d

Cal Poly is a run heavy, option based offense. It will be interesting to see what type of offensive philosophy Oxy rolls out this year, but he seems like a good hire based on his experience.

Oxy1995

Quote from: RFB on February 21, 2018, 10:45:04 AM
Oxy has their new OC. 

Cal Poly is a run heavy, option based offense. It will be interesting to see what type of offensive philosophy Oxy rolls out this year, but he seems like a good hire based on his experience.
I like the hire based on his experience and history with strong running offenses.  We will see if that continues.  When I played at Oxy we had a run heavy, option based offense.  I would like to see that come back.

olddog

Had a couple Oxy alums over the house last weekend. The conclusion is unless the admin changes, Oxy is doomed and they wont put another dime into the athletics until admin changes. The only way Oxy changes course if some big donors pressure the school, even then my old timers think admin is so far out in left field, they wont change their views. It is very frustrating for them to watch.
California, Where no cares who is in charge and zero accountability

olddog

Quote from: Oxy1995 on February 21, 2018, 11:11:25 AM
Oxy has their new OC. 

I like the hire based on his experience and history with strong running offenses.  We will see if that continues.  When I played at Oxy we had a run heavy, option based offense.  I would like to see that come back.

I sure hope they try to run the ball against UR, their fronts are second to Whittier as the worse in the conference. Hence previous coaches threw the ball a lot. Wonder if he will run Poly's offense, a version of the wing T....Poly did throw the ball more than GT or others....

Oxy1995

Quote from: olddog on February 21, 2018, 11:30:19 AM
Had a couple Oxy alums over the house last weekend. The conclusion is unless the admin changes, Oxy is doomed and they wont put another dime into the athletics until admin changes. The only way Oxy changes course if some big donors pressure the school, even then my old timers think admin is so far out in left field, they wont change their views. It is very frustrating for them to watch.
I agree with everything you said.  If those who allowed the program to die (or caused it to die) are still in charge, how can anything change.  The pitch right now seems to be "if the alumni don't give money it will die".
They made a point of saying that last year the program only got $28,000 in gifts (the lowest in the SCIAC).  Gee, I wonder why that was?  They would not give me an answer when I asked how much did donations drop when Widolff was fired.

OxyBob

Quote from: Oxy1995 on February 21, 2018, 11:11:25 AM
Oxy has their new OC. 
but he seems like a good hire based on his experience.
I like the hire based on his experience

Sorry, but I question the good sense of anyone who'd take a job to coach football at Oxy.

OxyBob

Gray Fox

Fierce When Roused

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

RFB

Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 21, 2018, 06:23:14 PM
Glad to see them playing the 10th game!

Agreed. Good to see CMS stepping up and scheduling a 10th game. Coach Sweeney is doing a great job with the program. Maybe Oxy should have given him a call to help the program get back on its feet, but that would require common sense and we know anyone associated with DW is persona non grata.

OCguy

Good for CMS. That is a program moving in the right direction.
Anyone else wondering why Oxy has normal teachers and non-athletic students on the football Advisory board? Shouldn't the people deciding how to re-build a football program have experience actually playing on a football team and having success?
Nobody brings in the football coaches when trying to decide the English Departments curriculum at the beginning of the year because that isn't what they know how to do. So why do they have individuals who never played the game in their life deciding the fate of the team? Something seems off here.

olddog

Quote from: OCguy on February 22, 2018, 10:23:52 AM
Anyone else wondering why Oxy has normal teachers and non-athletic students on the football Advisory board? Shouldn't the people deciding how to re-build a football program have experience actually playing on a football team and having success?
Nobody brings in the football coaches when trying to decide the English Departments curriculum at the beginning of the year because that isn't what they know how to do. So why do they have individuals who never played the game in their life deciding the fate of the team? Something seems off here.

Why is anyone be shocked as to what is going on at liberal art's colleges? It is clear their is an attack on anything masculine in this country. Many schools hate the fact they had to add football to their programs to keep enrollment up. Heck I know a few couples from these schools that are expecting babies and have declared they are going to let the little one decide if he or she identifies being male or female, so hold of on blue or pink stuff.

MonroviaCat

Quote from: olddog on February 22, 2018, 10:58:41 AM
Quote from: OCguy on February 22, 2018, 10:23:52 AM

Why is anyone be shocked as to what is going on at liberal art's colleges? It is clear their is an attack on anything masculine in this country. Many schools hate the fact they had to add football to their programs to keep enrollment up. Heck I know a few couples from these schools that are expecting babies and have declared they are going to let the little one decide if he or she identifies being male or female, so hold of on blue or pink stuff.
You forgot to mention "flag kneelers", "wine drinkers" and your trademarked misspelling of the word "lose" ("loose").  C'mon olddog---you are slacking in the off-season  ;D
Go Cats!