BB: Regionals (South) Danville '08, Salisbury '09, Methodist '10, Rhodes '11

Started by A.G., May 10, 2008, 07:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will2Win

SUball

Quote from: forheavendial4999 on May 20, 2011, 10:00:31 PM
Quote from: CafeBordeaux on May 20, 2011, 01:38:07 PM
Oh yea you're right, I benefited from that so called "weak" schedule, but none of the other SU players did.  Weak schedule or not, we still took the Region both years so say what you want, but I dont think you can say the "REGION TOURNAMENT" was weak. 

Compared to other regions? I sure would. South region baseball isn't what it used to be. The region has only had 1 champion win more than one game in Appleton since 2003 (Emory 2007, obviously). It was never the best region, but it was better than this. I'm hopeful that the changes in the USAS will help that, and the addition of Birmingham Southern to the mix.

I would agree that the South the past couple years hasnt been as strong in year pass but I do believe from top to bottom the south is better than a lot of regionals out there even in down years.

SUball

Is anyones live stats working or is it just my computer?

Will2Win

SU getting handled by Salisbury...winner take all on deck. Exciting day of baseball

Will2Win

Ultimate choke job by the Hornets today...Starting pitching let em down...too many free passes put them in a hole from the get go in both games...Tough pill to swallow. Good job to Salisbury though...Made enough plays to win

CafeBordeaux

All the comments I have made about Shenandoah, let me be the first to say that they truly did NOT come to play today.  Pitching let them down HUGE and thats something Coach Anderson prides his staff on, to not give up free passes and make the hitters get themselves out.  That did not happen today.  I must say, Van Sickler's double off the wall would've tied it had it gone out, but it didnt and that is fortunate for Salisbury, but that was one HELL of a comeback effort BOTH  games by the Hornets.  To come back after they were put in that big of a hole is a tribute to their character and their competitiveness.  But unfortunately they came up just short both games.  I am highly stunned at the outcome, but good luck to Salisbury in the World Series. 

Falcon2720

Some other USA-South News

Maryville has accepted conference membership.  With Shenandoah leaving after the 2012 season, baseball will look like this

Averett
Christopher Newport
Ferrum
Greensboro
LaGrange
Maryville
Methodist
NC Wesleyan
Piedmont

Top-to-Bottom one of the best D3 baseball conferences.

narch

Quote from: Falcon2720 on May 21, 2011, 07:21:12 PM

Maryville has accepted conference membership.  With Shenandoah leaving after the 2012 season, baseball will look like this

Averett
Christopher Newport
Ferrum
Greensboro
LaGrange
Maryville
Methodist
NC Wesleyan
Piedmont

falcon, i think it will look more like this, with cnu joining the cac...

narch

congrats to the salisbury seagulls...rep the south well, boys

forheavendial4999

Quote from: narch on May 21, 2011, 09:11:36 PM

Averett
Christopher Newport
Ferrum
Greensboro
LaGrange
Maryville
Methodist
NC Wesleyan
Piedmont

+Birmingham Southern/Huntingdon? The SCAC looks like it's about to break up with Hendrix, Rhodes, Centre and Sewanee leaving in 2012, DePauw leaving after this year.

forheavendial4999

Anyone know why Van Sickler didn't come back for any longer than he did? Does he just not recover quickly (some guys don't)? When they went to Sears in the first game at 3-3, I would have been thinking Van Sickler right there, then hopefully he can get you to Scallion.

Gutsy work by Greiner and Herbert (especially Herbert, who started on the 19th and 21st!). Didn't fool too many people it doesn't look like but got it over the plate.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: forheavendial4999 on May 21, 2011, 10:55:10 PM

Averett
Christopher Newport
Ferrum
Greensboro
LaGrange
Maryville
Methodist
NC Wesleyan
Piedmont

+Birmingham Southern/Huntingdon? The SCAC looks like it's about to break up with Hendrix, Rhodes, Centre and Sewanee leaving in 2012, DePauw leaving after this year.
Yes, but those "former" SCAC teams would still be "South Region" teams.

forheavendial4999

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 21, 2011, 11:14:02 PM
Quote from: forheavendial4999 on May 21, 2011, 10:55:10 PM

Averett
Christopher Newport
Ferrum
Greensboro
LaGrange
Maryville
Methodist
NC Wesleyan
Piedmont

Yes, but those "former" SCAC teams would still be "South Region" teams.

I thought the discussion was about the USA South. I think the new USAS (especially sans CNU) makes more sense for those two schools than the ASC, though a new Millsaps/Miss Coll/Louisiana Coll/Centenary/B-SC/Huntingdon/Oglethorpe league might work also, though I have no idea if that's being discussed at all.

Ralph Turner

I agree that CNU probably moves to the CAC.

(I thought the discussion was moving towards the strength of the South Region.  SU really helps the ODAC.)

As for a new conference in the south with the leftovers of the SCAC, Louisiana College has 5 schools within 220 miles:  Mississippi College, Centenary, East Texas Baptist, LeTourneau and UT-Tyler.  UT-Dallas and UOzarks, the rest of the ASC-East are 311 and 431 miles away.

Louisiana College to Birmingham-Southern and Huntingdon are 421 and 434 miles away.  Centenary is right in the middle of the ASC-East.  Mississippi College is about 250 miles away from both of those Alabama schools.  Louisiana College, Centenary, ETBU and LeTourneau are roughly inside that driving radius

Where the dominoes fall in the South with this most recent move will be interesting.

D-BAT

Quote from: bossman on May 21, 2011, 07:06:43 PM
Ultimate choke job by the Hornets today...Starting pitching let em down...too many free passes put them in a hole from the get go in both games...Tough pill to swallow. Good job to Salisbury though...Made enough plays to win

I disagree 100%, some days, your pitching will not be on their A game.

The pitching staff will not be able to be on their A game every outing, just impossible, if so, then the Hornets would of be been undefeated.

SU didn't choke, Salisbury was the better team yesterday and did what they needed to do to win two games. 

Congrats SU on a great season and for those SR's who experienced 111 wins over those years, much kudos to you guys and best of luck in your real world journey.