BB: SCIAC: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, December 31, 2005, 09:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Westside on February 09, 2017, 02:08:50 AM
Anyone else think it is kinda funny that the SCIAC and NWC schools are pretty much traveling to a neutral site (AZ) to play against each other? Probably could've saved a bunch of money by just going to California.

Also, I think that Oxy struggles a bit this year, and Pomona will bounce back and have a good season.

Also, I love watching Minjarez and Gerics throw. They are two of the best in the country.

I am excited to see Linfield's opener against Cal Lu. Always nice getting to face someone like Saito (I assume) to start the season.
I have wondered why is there not a comparable site in southern California. Texas schools have gone to AZ most years as well.

Bishopleftiesdad

Schools from the midwest/mideast go to AZ as well. Oberlin goes out to Az.

Purple Heys

Quote from: Ralph Turner on February 10, 2017, 06:15:08 PM
Anyone else think it is kinda funny that the SCIAC and NWC schools are pretty much traveling to a neutral site (AZ) to play against each other? Probably could've saved a bunch of money by just going to California.

Also, I think that Oxy struggles a bit this year, and Pomona will bounce back and have a good season.

Also, I love watching Minjarez and Gerics throw. They are two of the best in the country.

I am excited to see Linfield's opener against Cal Lu. Always nice getting to face someone like Saito (I assume) to start the season.
I have wondered why is there not a comparable site in southern California. Texas schools have gone to AZ most years as well.

The ablity to play night games on multiple fields, I suppose, is the big draw to AZ...funny though given the lack of D3 institutions in AZ.
You can't leave me....all the plants will die.

Jack Parkman

It would be nice to see the SCIAC host 4 games all over but I don't think the NWC would like to play all of the SCIAC schools on the road every year.  The weather this time of the year is too unpredictable in the NW and Chapman could host night games.  It is nice to see some SCIAC schools going North this year.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Purple Heys on February 10, 2017, 06:46:19 PM

The ablity to play night games on multiple fields, I suppose, is the big draw to AZ...funny though given the lack of D3 institutions in AZ.

SE Michigan has numerous sports complexes with multiple lighted diamonds - though you might have to shovel the snow off the fields yourselves this time of year! ;D

Wildcat17

Nice to see Linfield get a first win of the season over Cal Lu, 2-1.  Pretty high quality game overall considering it was the first game of the year for both teams.   Linfield's pitching was very good, both from the starter, Cason Cunningham, and the reliever, Matt Strang.  Linfield finished with about 8 hits, including the critical two RBI triple to center by Scott Hilpert in the 6th.  Cal Lu definitely played well, and almost mounted a comeback in the ninth before Strang ended it with a fly out to center with runners at second and third. 

SoCalBaseballfan

Quote from: SoCalBaseballfan on February 04, 2017, 04:16:20 AM
Quote from: SoCalBaseballfan on February 04, 2017, 04:15:14 AM
http://www.d3baseball.com/seasons/2017/contrib/201702033ivhuv

SCIAC Coaches Poll

1) Cal Lutheran
2) Occidental
3) Chapman
4) Redlands
5) Pomona-Pitzer
6) La Verne
7) Whittier
8) Claremont-Mudd-Scripps
9) Caltech
Chapman starts off 1-2 and Pomana starts off strong at 4-1. Early on but I dont see Chapman finishing higher that 4th in 2017. 2017 will not be the year Chapman returns to the NCAA regionals. I hope I am wrong. I watched Chapman get to the NCAA Championship Series 4 times in 5 years and 5 Regionals when I was CrashDavisD3. Arizona is a great venue for early SCIAC team play in my opinion.

SoCalBaseballfan

Not enough schools with lights in SCIAC. Also CA JC fields, high school fields, DII and DIII fields DO NOT have lights for night games. Only D1 schools have lights which they NEVER let other schools play on their fields unless it is summer. Arizona is a great choices for this time of year with all the lighted fields they have due the brutal heat during the year
AZ has lots of fields with most colleges, high schools, minor league, Major league sites all have lights

Purple Heys

Wild days in Arizona...the day after CLU drops 2-1 to Linfield, Chapman re-enacts the gunfight at the OK Corral and beats the Wildcats 20-19.

SoCalBaseballfan

Quote from: Purple Heys on February 12, 2017, 03:38:11 AM
Wild days in Arizona...the day after CLU drops 2-1 to Linfield, Chapman re-enacts the gunfight at the OK Corral and beats the Wildcats 20-19.
Early season lack of pitching depth???  Many games in a few days?? Hitters ahead of pitchers?? Sounds like a beer league slow pitch softball score

SoCalBaseballfan

Less rain in AZ. More fields with lights in AZ.

Purple Heys

SoCalSoxFan

Quote from: Wildcat17 on February 11, 2017, 03:31:21 AM
Nice to see Linfield get a first win of the season over Cal Lu, 2-1.  Pretty high quality game overall considering it was the first game of the year for both teams.   Linfield's pitching was very good, both from the starter, Cason Cunningham, and the reliever, Matt Strang.  Linfield finished with about 8 hits, including the critical two RBI triple to center by Scott Hilpert in the 6th.  Cal Lu definitely played well, and almost mounted a comeback in the ninth before Strang ended it with a fly out to center with runners at second and third. 

Interesting the CLU started Marshall Pautsch instead of Trey Saito.  Wonder if that's a sign of things to come or Slim didn't want Linfield to see Saito.   

Jack Parkman

My first impression of the SCIAC after everyone has played a few games...

1. Pomona: they have hit the ball very well so far but got shut down a little by PLU over the weekend.  Gerrics is one of the top arms in the conference but they will need more than just him to be successful.

2. Caltech will continue to improve and I really hope this is the year they get a SCIAC win.

3. Redlands: Minjarez is probably the best Friday starter in the SCIAC and they have a pretty good staff all around.  They are super aggressive at the plate and I think they will be in the top 4 at the end of the year.

4. Whittier: They were off this past weekend but had a decent opening series where they showed a lot of improvement from last year.  I expect the Poets to be a much better them this year.

5. Oxy: Not a good start for a team that believes they got shafted last year.  They have been pretty awful at the plate with a .183 average through 4 games and teams are hitting .338 off of them.  Good win vs Linfield but they need to figure it out pretty quick.

6. Cal Lu: A 1 run loss to Linfield kept them from going 3-0 in AZ but the pitching staff only gave up 5 runs in 3 games.

7. Claremont: Not a good start losing 3/4 to Whitman (who apparently go by the Blues these days). 

8. Chapman: Great offensive weekend but a pretty bad weekend on the mound.  Maybe they will just try and beat everyone 13-12???

9. La Verne: Not a good start at all and they have used 15 pitchers for a terrible 6.65 ERA.  Could be another disappointing year, just 2 removed from a Regional.

SCIAC play starts this weekend and some of these teams need to get it together in a hurry.