FB: Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RFMichigan

Picks for the NACC-MIAA Challenge:

Adrian - CUC - CUC is too young for a veteran and tough Adrian outfit, although the Cougars were somewhat competitive in the last three quarters against Chicago.

Kalamazoo - BU - Benedictine looked pretty good in a loss to Wheaton and took care of business against North Park. If the Hornets find a way to scheme this into a win, the NACC is in trouble.

Olivet - Rockford - I thought Olivet would be a year or so away from being competitive, but by association: If Olivet is better than WLC, and I think that WLC is better than Rockford, then Olivet is better than Rockford. (But this never works the way you think it should in football, so who knows?)

Hope - WLC - Before the season began I would have picked WLC, but based on their first two games I'm going to go with Hope; too much offense for the Dutch.

Alma - Lakeland - It's hard to get a read on these two teams from their previous two games, as they both got smoked last week against vastly better teams. I'll go with Lakeland as they looked decent against Carroll in their opener.

Albion - Aurora - No idea. I'm freaked out that Albion got crushed by an admittedly very good Wheaton team and Aurora had the ability to hang around with IWU for a little while.

Trine - CUW - This could be a very competitive game in which I don't have a great deal of confidence in the pick. Bold prediction: whoever wins this game will win their conference.

I have 4-3 NACC, but four is the absolute maximum number of wins they get unless some MIAA teams come down with mass food poisoning or something. I could easily see the MIAA winning six, but the NACC was surprising last year. No sneaking up this year.

It's interesting how these teams are matched up. I realize that you have to go by last year's records, but I don't think that these matchups/rankings reflect the NACC's relative strength to each other this year.
CUC is "seeded" #1 based on last year's record but may easily be the cellar-dweller in the conference at the end of this year (although I hope not). Benedictine struggled down the stretch last year, but I think they were better than that last year and they are certainly better than their seeding this year. WLC may not be nearly as strong as last year's team was and might be a bad match-up with Hope. The better match-ups would be (to me):

Benedictine-Adrian
CUW-Trine (the same)
Aurora-Hope
WLC-Albion
Lakeland-Olivet
Rockford-Kalamazoo
CUC-Alma

I see Hope, Trine, and Adrian (with the Bulldogs as slight favorite) battling it out for the top spot in the MIAA and CUW and BU as the only real threats to win the NACC this year.

Let's hear your thoughts.

Captain_Joe08

Concordia Chicago at Adrian: CUC hung with an average Chicago team for the majority of the game but they will be over their heads against Adrian.

Benedictine at Kalamazoo: BU is looking solid so far and so is Kalamazoo as well. I think BU with their transfer running back will carry the day here.

Rockford at Olivet: Was considering to pick the Regents but Olivet proved that they are miles better than last year including an impressive win against WLC last week.

Wisconsin Lutheran at Hope: WLC is wondering what happened in their shocking loss to Olivet. Hope seems to be one of the contenders this year in the MIAA.

Lakeland at Alma: Alma looks like they are going to be in the basement this year in the MIAA. Lakeland has shown some improvement but this will be a barometer game for them.

Aurora at Albion: I have to agree here this game is a battle between two unknown teams. Aurora hung with IWU for a half in a losing effort while Albion got manhandled by Wheaton. I think Aurora wins a tight one.

Concordia Wisconsin at Trine: I think Trine showed a little more last week in beating Elmhurst.

Overall MIAA wins 4-3.

Fantasy MIAA-NACC Challenge Matchups

Trine-CUW
BU-Adrian
WLC-Albion
Aurora-Hope
Lakeland-Kalamazoo
Rockford-Olivet
CUC-Alma

Only CUW, Rockford's matchups I would leave alone.
Once a Warrior always a Warrior.
WLC Men's Tennis (2014 NACC Tournament Champs)
2014 MIAA Football Pick 'Em Champ
2014 WIAC Football Pick 'Em Regular Season Co-Champ
2014 National Confidence Playoff Champion
Milwaukee Brewers: 2018 NL Central Champions

d3fan1515

Congrats to the Players of the Week!

Benedictine's Jarrett Lecas and Michael McNulty and Concordia Wisconsin's Hunter Breunig have been named the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference Defensive, Offensive and Special Teams Football Student-Athletes of the Week for events of Sept. 9-15, as selected by the league's sports information directors.

Lecas (Frankfort, Ill.) helped Benedictine (1-1) roll past North Park by intercepting a pair of passes, and returning one for a touchdown. The rookie defensive back also tied for the team lead with 11 tackles and broke up a pass.

McNulty (Elmhurst, Ill.) had 35 carries for 169 yards and a pair of touchdowns in the 36-10 win over North Park.

Breunig (Lodi, Wis.) averaged 48.3 yards per punt as he helped win the field position battle in a 20-10 CUW (1-1) victory over Macalester. The junior had a long punt of 60 yards in the win.

WLCALUM83

Quote from: Captain_Joe08 on September 17, 2013, 04:07:15 PM
Concordia Chicago at Adrian: CUC hung with an average Chicago team for the majority of the game but they will be over their heads against Adrian.

Benedictine at Kalamazoo: BU is looking solid so far and so is Kalamazoo as well. I think BU with their transfer running back will carry the day here.

Rockford at Olivet: Was considering to pick the Regents but Olivet proved that they are miles better than last year including an impressive win against WLC last week.

Wisconsin Lutheran at Hope: WLC is wondering what happened in their shocking loss to Olivet. Hope seems to be one of the contenders this year in the MIAA.

Lakeland at Alma: Alma looks like they are going to be in the basement this year in the MIAA. Lakeland has shown some improvement but this will be a barometer game for them.

Aurora at Albion: I have to agree here this game is a battle between two unknown teams. Aurora hung with IWU for a half in a losing effort while Albion got manhandled by Wheaton. I think Aurora wins a tight one.

Concordia Wisconsin at Trine: I think Trine showed a little more last week in beating Elmhurst.

Overall MIAA wins 4-3.

Fantasy MIAA-NACC Challenge Matchups

Trine-CUW
BU-Adrian
WLC-Albion
Aurora-Hope
Lakeland-Kalamazoo
Rockford-Olivet
CUC-Alma

Only CUW, Rockford's matchups I would leave alone.

My Week 3 guesses:

CUC/Adrian:     Adrian
Ben/Kzoo:        BenU
Rockford/Olivet:    Olivet in a tight one.
WLC/Hope:            Hope
Lakeland/Alma;      Lakeland
Aurora/Albion:        Albion
CUW/Trine:             Trine

Captain_Joe08

Early game updates

Hope 3
Wisconsin Lutheran 7

Half

Benedictine 7
Kalamazoo 7

Half

Alma 20
Lakeland 7

Half

Trine 24
Concordia Wisconsin 14

2:27 2nd

Olivet 7
Rockford 0

Half

Albion 14
Aurora 0

10:46 2nd

Captain_Joe08

Some stats from the halftime games.

Wisconsin Lutheran-Hope

Total Offense

Wisconsin Lutheran: 93 (59 Rush, 34 Passing)
Hope: 249 (80 Rush, 169 Passing)

First Downs

Wisconsin Lutheran: 5
Hope: 15

Turnovers

Wisconsin Lutheran: 0
Hope: 1

Benedictine-Kalamazoo

Total Offense

Benedictine: 56 (10 Rush, 46 Pass)
Kalamazoo: 221 (40 Rush, 181 Pass)

First Downs

Benedictine: 2
Kalamazoo: 11

Rockford-Olivet

Total Offense

Rockford: 105 (70 Rush, 35 Pass)
Olivet: 161 (58 Rush, 103 Pass)

First Downs

Rockford: 4
Olivet: 9

Lakeland-Alma

Total Offense

Lakeland: 242
Alma: 200

First Downs

Lakeland: 10
Alma: 8

Turnovers

Lakeland: 2
Alma: 1

Concordia Wisconsin-Trine

Total Offense

Concordia Wisconsin: 146 (5 Rush, 141 Pass)
Trine: 213 (90 Rush, 123 Pass)

First Downs

Concordia Wisconsin: 8
Trine: 11

Turnovers

Concordia Wisconsin: 1
Trine: 1

Captain_Joe08

Hope 21
Wisconsin Lutheran 7

3rd

Ugly 3rd for the Warriors. Gave up a saftey, and two touchdowns while the offense can't get things in gear.

Benedictine 14
Kalamazoo 10

3rd

Concordia Wisconsin 24
Trine 14

3rd

Alma 20
Lakeland 7

3rd

Olivet 14
Rockford 0

3rd

Albion 14
Aurora 3

Half

d3fan1515

Captain_Joe08

Quote from: d3fan1515 on September 21, 2013, 04:01:02 PM
BU won 28-23

Hope 37
Wisconsin Lutheran 7

Final

Trine 47
Concordia Wisconsin 41

Final

Lakeland 21
Alma 20

Final

Olivet 34
Rockford 7

Final

Albion 38
Aurora 20

Final

MIAA has clinched year two of the Challenge 4-2 with one game left.

Captain_Joe08

Well since only Aurora is playing this weekend, let's figure out what the conference is shaping up to be before conference play begins.

NACC went 4-16 out of conference the first three weeks including a 2-5 NACC/MIAA challenge. All the NACC teams will play Maranatha as a non-conference opponent and that will inflate the out of conference record a bit before the season ends.

Benedictine: They look like the early frontrunner with solid wins over North Park and Kalamazoo. They gave Wheaton fits in the season opener. Their running back McNulty has been solid for them and they have a solid QB in Schultz. I think as of right now they are the top dog at the moment.

Concordia Wisconsin: The Falcons have probably one of the best QB's in the conference in Damaschke and he'll win games throwing the ball around. The bigger question is will they be able to establish some sort of running game to complement the passing game. Their leading rusher is Damaschke but if they can't get any sort of run game going, then the opposing defenses will make it difficult to complete passes.

Wisconsin Lutheran: The Warriors could've been easily 2-1 instead of 0-3 but they have experienced some growing pains with a new head coach and a new offensive attack. The offense with the faster pace have left the defense in the dust at times and that hurt them against Ripon. They also have to improve a 13-46 third down conversion rate which is near the bottom of the conference. Overall the defense is good enough to keep the Warriors in contention but the offense is still a work in progress.

Aurora: I literally don't have much of a clue about this team. They looked decent against IWU and Albion but then again they have played tough competition. Maybe this weekend's matchup against Millikin will tell us a little more about what the Spartans are all about.

Lakeland: The Muskies hung tough against Carroll got crushed by Carthage and rallied to beat Alma. I think Lakeland will sneak up on a few teams if they don't bring their A-game but at the same time I do not see them being near the top of the conference just yet. They are still a few years away in that regard.

Rockford: Now raise your hand if you though Rockford would have the best offense in the conference after three weeks? Their QB (who I won't try to spell out) leads the conference in passing yards per game and is tied for the lead in passing TD's. However, with that said their defense hasn't been keeping the opponent out of the end zone. The bigger test to see if they have improved enough to get out of the basement will come in conference play.

Concordia Chicago: Well the Cougars had one respectable game sandwiched between two blowouts. They are going to struggle to be in a bunch of conference games. They will get better as the season goes on but right now they could very well be looking at a winless season looking at it.

Thoughts?

Captain_Joe08

The MIAA-NACC Challenge series has been extended through the 2017 season. It seems that instead of meeting in week three, the Challenge will be a drawn out through conference play with a MIAA-NACC matchup every week during conference play. Matchups will still be determined by final standings of the previous year.

http://www.naccsports.org/sports/fball/2013-14/releases/20130923j0pmhl

d3fan1515

Congrats to the players of the week!

Lakeland's Cody Lemke and Benedictine's Blake Anders and R.J. Bain have been named the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference Defensive, Offensive and Special Teams Football Student-Athletes of the Week for events of Sept. 16-22, as selected by the league's sports information directors.

Lemke (Kewaskum, Wis.) tallied a career-high 17 tackles -- which included 11 solo -- in the Muskies' (1-2) 21-20 comeback win over Alma. The senior defensive back added two tackles for loss and a forced fumble in the victory.

Anders (Mokena, Ill.) caught a pair of touchdowns of over 40 yards as Benedictine (2-1) defeated Kalamazoo, 28-23. The sophomore wide receiver reeled in 173 yards on seven catches.

Bain (Royal Oak, Mich.) punted seven times in the win at Kalamazoo, placing two inside the 20. The sophomore averaged 41.4 yards per punt.

Other defensive nominations: Ryan Stec, Benedictine; Dustin Veldboom, Concordia Wisconsin; Aaron Allister, Wisconsin Lutheran;

Other offensive nominations: Garrett Wenzelburger, Concordia Wisconsin; Kezlow Smith, Lakeland;

Other special teams nominations: Ramsey Riehl, Lakeland.

d3fan1515

Rockford vs. Concordia Chicago- Rockford   
Benedictine vs. Concordia Wisconsin- I'll take BU in a tight one, this game gives us the front runner for the conference championship... In my opinion.
Wisconsin Lutheran vs. Lakeland- WLC      
Maranatha vs. Aurora- Aurora

Captain_Joe08

Rockford at Concordia Chicago: Rockford finally escapes the NACC basement.

Benedictine at Concordia Wisconsin: BU in a tight game.

Wisconsin Lutheran at Lakeland: At this point Lakeland is still a rebuilding team. Wisconsin Lutheran gets their first win.

Maranatha at Aurora: No explanation needed really.

WLCALUM83

Quote from: Captain_Joe08 on October 02, 2013, 03:30:53 PM
Rockford at Concordia Chicago: Rockford finally escapes the NACC basement.

Benedictine at Concordia Wisconsin: BU in a tight game.

Wisconsin Lutheran at Lakeland: At this point Lakeland is still a rebuilding team. Wisconsin Lutheran gets their first win.

Maranatha at Aurora: No explanation needed really.

WLCALUM83's guesses:

Rockford
CUW        (mainly because they're at home)
WLC
Aurora