MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Gleich

UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich

iwu70

According to Nick Anderson's blog from Costa Rica, the Titans have gone 3-0 in their exhibition games, vs. the CR national team and two semi-pro teams there.  Plus, lots of fun on the beach and in the rain forest.  Good times traipsing, zip-lining about the country, via basketball and friendly culture learning.

Looking forward to an awesome season from this seasoned group.

Orientations starting now -- "Turning Titan" orientation for the class of 2017 in a few days.  Good luck to all the new Titans, all the freshmen, class of '17 members entering IWU this fall.

IWU'70

AndOne

Quote from: iwu70 on August 15, 2013, 11:31:26 PM
According to Nick Anderson's blog from Costa Rica, the Titans have gone 3-0 in their exhibition games, vs. the CR national team and two semi-pro teams there.  Plus, lots of fun on the beach and in the rain forest.  Good times traipsing, zip-lining about the country, via basketball and friendly culture learning.

Orientations starting now -- "Turning Titan" orientation for the class of 2017 in a few days.  Good luck to all the new Titans, all the freshmen, class of '17 members entering IWU this fall.

IWU'70

ATLANTA
The Center For Disease Control has identified a new strain of flesh eating disease that they have deemed Turning Titan Disease. It is characterized by the skin initially turning green over a six (6) day period during which skin cells are devoured by the host's immune system. This typically signifies a ganGREENous condition which reaches its zenith at the end of the six day period, resulting in the victim's demise. Early investigation indicates that the onset often coincides with exposure to the Bloomington-Normal area of Illinois, commonly known locally as Titanland after the greenish tinted resident descendants from the first moon of Saturn, but often referred to as (Green) Weenieland throughout the rest of the region. 
???  :o   ;)

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: AndOne on August 16, 2013, 11:35:15 PM
Quote from: iwu70 on August 15, 2013, 11:31:26 PM

IWU'70

ATLANTA
The Center For Disease Control has identified a new strain of flesh eating disease that they have deemed Turning Titan Disease. It is characterized by the skin initially turning green over a six (6) day period during which skin cells are devoured by the host's immune system. This typically signifies a ganGREENous condition which reaches its zenith at the end of the six day period, resulting in the victim's demise. Early investigation indicates that the onset often coincides with exposure to the Bloomington-Normal area of Illinois, commonly known locally as Titanland after the greenish tinted resident descendants from the first moon of Saturn, but often referred to as (Green) Weenieland throughout the rest of the region. 
???  :o   ;)

Unfortunately for the GREEN with envy others, the 'victims' generally survive, and win far more conference titles and make more Final Four trips than any of the others. 8-)

But +k for a witty attempt at putting down my Titans. ;)

iwu70

AndOne, I seem to have had this disease my entire life.  My parents caught it in 1936, even married each other after knowingly having the malady!  They say their blood is green, that they "bleed green."   Don't you know it's incurable, but not fatal.  The GREEN is even going to infect other CCIW hosts throughout the coming sports year.  No vaccine available.  So sorry.

IWU70 -- still alive after all these years.

iwu70

YPSI!! How are you, my friend.  Still bleeding GREEN -- even way over there in Michigan? 

Hope you and all the family have had a good summer.

I'm still bleeding GREEN way over here in the Far Out, Far East.  But, will be back to Titanland in October, November for some football and a few early season roundball games at The Shirk, that sports home of all those diseased Greenie sports fans.

Be well, remember, the disease is incurable, but not fatal -- usually only to opponents. 

Be well, my sick friend and classmate.  Looks to be an exciting CCIW season -- football, basketball, and many more, with Lacrosse soon to come, or so I hear.  More people "Turning Titan," catching that life-long disease of loyalty and support for Titan Nation teams. 

IWU70

AndOne

And +Ks back to you 2 guys for the witty responses.   :)

iwu70

AndOne, hope you and all the family having a good summer.  Stay witty and fun, my friend.  Yes, very much looking forward to a great football, then basketball season.  NCC will be very tough to beat this fall, then my Titans will be very tough to beat come wintertime sports.  Carthage clearly favored on the women's side in roundball.  We'll see.  No doubt, my Greenie illness and life-long malady will continue unabated.

Football only a few weeks away now . . . media day and camps opening yesterday, piece on Titan football in the Pgraph today. 

Be well, all best from warm, wet and windy Hong Kong.  I'm out to Lamma Island this afternoon for some great seafood with all the returning and new Yale-China teaching fellows, about to begin their teaching tenures in several mainland China sites and here in Hong Kong, Chinese University.  Always great to see the optimism, natural and expected anxiety and steep-learning curves of these talented recent graduates, working for two years in Asia.  A substantial cultural and educational engagement. 

More soon -- as the CCIW sports' season gets underway.  All good.

IWU70

Gregory Sager

Congrats to former Vikings point guard Keith Born (C'96), who was named to the North Park Hall of Fame this morning. Along with five other former Vikings athletes (one of whom, volleyball alumna Chris McCarrell Horner, is the wife of former NPU basketball star Marc Horner and the niece of former NPU head basketball coach Dan McCarrell), Born will be inducted on Friday, October 4 as part of NPU's Homecoming festivities. As North Park's point guard in the mid-nineties, Born was an All-CCIW third-teamer in 1995 and an All-CCIW first-teamer in 1996. He was also a standout infielder on the NPU baseball team; he ranks in the top ten in almost every offensive category in the North Park baseball record book. Frankly, I'm a little surprised that it's taken the Viking Club this long to put Keith in the HOF, given the excellence that he achieved in two different sports. (I've done my bit by nominating him more than once.) But, at any rate, it's an honor that's well-deserved.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

CCIW

Anyone know anything about the Wheaton recruiting class.  Have seen very little about it. 
CCIW - What the Ivy League Pretends to Be....

URockets

Appears to be another D-1 shooting guard transfer to IWU.....6'6", 200 pound junior Alex Rossi.  Went to Cal. as Freshman, then transferred to Valpo. for Soph.  Appears injury bug has bit him in college, but has quite the h.s. resume'. 

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2011-12/11762/rossi-to-join-valparaiso-mens-basketball-program/

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/95006/alex-rossi

Titan Q

Yes, after not having a D1 transfer for 15 years, it looks like IWU has its second in about 7 weeks.  Alex Rossi, a 6-6 wing from Valparaiso (and formerly of Cal) has enrolled at IWU and will be part of the basketball team.  He will be a junior in terms of eligibility.

Rossi graduated from New Trier HS in 2010.  As a senior he averaged 19 points, 7 rebounds, and 4 assists per game and was named Central Suburban League Player of the Year.

Rossi was a highly regarded recruit coming out of New Trier.  Scout.com had him as the #70 recruit in the class of 2010 nationally, and ESPN had him #86.  Joe Henricksen ranked Rossi as the 10th best player in the IHSA class of 2010.  Also a very good student, Rossi chose Cal over scholarship offers to Northwestern, Notre Dame, Stanford, and Virginia.

Early in his freshman season at Cal, when he was competing for a starting job, Rossi suffered a sports hernia.  He was granted a medical redshirt for 2010-11, then tried to play in 2011-12 but had a bunch of problems with the hernia still. Rossi transferred to Valparaiso before the 2012-13 to be closer to home due to a family situation (the NCAA allowed him to play in 2012-13 without sitting out a year).  Then last year at Valpo he was dealing with some type of heart condition (underwent a cardiac ablation in December) and essentially was never healthy in 2012-13.

Alex Rossi has not played much basketball since his senior season at New Trier in 2009-10, so this is a really a wildcard addition as I see it.  But I'm told he is healthy, and I have to believe that a kid with the high school credentials of Rossi's (offers from Notre Dame, Cal, Stanford, Virginia) has a nice upside at the D3 level. 

Valparaiso player page, 2012-13

"Rossi becomes fourth transfer to pick Valparaiso" (5/2/12)

Cal player page, 2011-12

ESPN Chicago 2009-10 all-area team (3/4/10)

Video/interview from senior year at New Trier (1/30/10)

Joe Henricksen, Class of 2010 ranking (7/5/09)

"Golden Bears pick up top 100 recruit"(6/22/09)

Chicagohoops.com on Notre Dame offer (5/2/09)

Titan Q

Quote from: URockets on August 27, 2013, 03:12:12 PM
Appears to be another D-1 shooting guard transfer to IWU.....6'6", 200 pound junior Alex Rossi.  Went to Cal. as Freshman, then transferred to Valpo. for Soph.  Appears injury bug has bit him in college, but has quite the h.s. resume'. 

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2011-12/11762/rossi-to-join-valparaiso-mens-basketball-program/

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/95006/alex-rossi

I believe Rossi will play the 3 at IWU, not the 2.

AndOne

Quote from: Titan Q on August 27, 2013, 09:13:47 PM
Quote from: URockets on August 27, 2013, 03:12:12 PM

I believe Rossi will play the 3 at IWU, not the 2.

What are the prospects for him as far as becoming a starter? If that occurs, I would think Ziemnik moves to the 4 spot, and Davis becomes the 5.