FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macon

To my HSC brethren, you've got to be happier about the play during the SU game.  Didn't watch the game and still a loss, but seems like a much better effort.  Thoughts?

y_jack_lok

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: Macon on October 20, 2019, 08:44:23 AM
To my HSC brethren, you've got to be happier about the play during the SU game.  Didn't watch the game and still a loss, but seems like a much better effort.  Thoughts?

Happier? Really? In a word - NO!
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

Macon

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on October 20, 2019, 10:06:54 AM

Well, okay, I get it, no reason to be happy about a loss, but I was talking about the effort.  Going in, this had the look of another blowout, but it seems that the fight and effort for HSC was there, more so than some previous games.  Got to think that things improved in this game.  I'm not trying to pile onto the HSC miseries, just trying to find something positive.

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: Macon on October 20, 2019, 10:38:48 AM

Well, okay, I get it, no reason to be happy about a loss, but I was talking about the effort.  Going in, this had the look of another blowout, but it seems that the fight and effort for HSC was there, more so than some previous games.  Got to think that things improved in this game.  I'm not trying to pile onto the HSC miseries, just trying to find something positive.

HSC returned 21 of 22 players on their 2 deep on offense. It's hard to quantify effort when last year HSC averaged over 30 points per game and after a year more weight training, agility and speed training, another year of spring practice and an additional fall camp basically the same players thru 7 games have scored a total of 104 offensive points. It's hard to explain why.
Hampden Sydney College
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

Macon

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on October 20, 2019, 01:14:51 PM

HSC returned 21 of 22 players on their 2 deep on offense. It's hard to quantify effort when last year HSC averaged over 30 points per game and after a year more weight training, agility and speed training, another year of spring practice and an additional fall camp basically the same players thru 7 games have scored a total of 104 offensive points. It's hard to explain why.
You may have answered your own question, the one guy you did lose was the starting QB, the very question that this board discussed in preseason with only 3 QBs on the roster and little to no experience.

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: Macon on October 20, 2019, 01:29:23 PM
Quote from: HSCTiger fan on October 20, 2019, 01:14:51 PM

You may have answered your own question, the one guy you did lose was the starting QB, the very question that this board discussed in preseason with only 3 QBs on the roster and little to no experience.

QB play certainly could be better but their problems are much greater than 1 player.
Hampden Sydney College

Macon

Good luck in next two games, clearly HSC can pick up a win or two.

tigerFanAlso2

Macon

Thanks for your supportive comments; no way HSC can be happy with home loss to SU BUT I was happy to see them play harder .... team did not give up like they did in the BC game and defense held SU to a reasonable score; offense continues to struggle. HSC could pull of victories vs. GC and FC and if that happens might give HSC some confidence going into The Game. Not likely to beat RMC at RMC but if we could make a game out of it mentally that paints a better picture going forward; if RMC puts of 40 plus points Tiger Nation will not be happy and will look for remedies going forward. Just hard to watch at this point; picked 3rd preseason and now trying to avoid finishing last. The fall has been deep and climbing back to the top will not happen if HSC does not make significant changes in recruiting, retention and development of talent. I think all of this can happen if leadership is able to honestly access the program, admit weaknesses and implement the needed changes. I don't think Coach Favret has forgotten how to recruit and develop players, now is time to prove it. Cannot wait any longer.   

tigerFanAlso2

Hasa

Not happy about it, but I think our teams are fighting it out Saturday in an effort not to finish is last place.
I have no idea what the outcome will be BUT I do hope both teams play their best game of the year.
Good luck to your Quakers ... I hope they lose by only one point and come out of it without injury!!!!!!! I cannot make the trip;
weddings & funerals have gotten in the way of football games this year.

Wild Horse Rider

From 2009-2018 the top programs in the ODAC have been:
RMC with 70 wins, a .673 win %, 2 trips to the playoffs, and one losing record
HSC with 68 wins, a .648 win %, 5 trips to the playoffs, and two losing records (one more to come this season unfortunately)
W&L with 63 wins, a .618 win %, 4 trips to the playoffs, and one losing record
Bridgewater with 59 wins, a .59 win %, 0 trips to the playoffs, and three losing records

With 5 conference titles and 6 trips to the playoffs in the 20 years Coach Favret has been the head coach.  If I am doing my math correctly then I believe Coach is in his late 50's so there should still be tread on the tires.  He is the second winningest coach in program history with 131 currently in 20 seasons.  I believe he is second to Coach Fulton who has 143 wins in 25 seasons (my math may be off).  The Bridgewater and E&H games weren't good but I could see wins for the Tigers the next 2 weeks.  If that is the case it will put him hopefully 2 seasons away from setting a new mark in 3 less seasons than the previous mark.  Those aren't the types of coaches who are shown the door easily and I assume the administration is well aware of that.  From the outside looking in I would say that HSU has brought the level of competition in the conference up in recent years.  It is too simple to point at one player even if it is the QB and say that is the reason the team isn't having success but man are those important dudes (especially with the type of offense HSU traditionally runs).  While the QB that graduated last season, Cobb, will not go down in the history of the program as one of the best he did start for 3 years throwing 72 TDs to 40 INTs.  The starter this season is a senior who has thrown 7 TDs and 16 INTs.  I don't say that to single out one person just stating facts/statistics.  There are only 3 QBs on the roster currently and 2 are SRs.  If the rising JR isn't the man next season (or even if he is) there will be more growing pains and likely not a great record.  I hope the program turns around sooner rather than later.

tigerFanAlso2

4 year rebuild, record should begin improving 2021 season, close to competitive beginning 2022 & 23, competitive 2024.
just to clarify, no one is suggesting a coaching change and you are correct, 2020 is not going to be pretty.
need to be quality two deep at every position and that will not happen over night.

BAM-BAM29

it is the time of the season to hear about the great things this conference has to offer. projections/playoffs/winning.  let's table rebuilding and disappointments and  firings for after the season.  Having said that, what do the guru insiders predict for the game of the season up to now between rmc and bu?

thescottharris

What happened to Ferrum's star RB? That offense has been awful without him in it.

hasanova

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on October 21, 2019, 02:35:10 PM
Hasa

Not happy about it, but I think our teams are fighting it out Saturday in an effort not to finish is last place.
I have no idea what the outcome will be BUT I do hope both teams play their best game of the year.
Good luck to your Quakers ... I hope they lose by only one point and come out of it without injury!!!!!!! I cannot make the trip;
weddings & funerals have gotten in the way of football games this year.
Hey, tfa2.  I'm in Oregon this week, but will be home in time for HSC at GC.  It's not been pretty for the Quakers versus the Tigers the last two decades with only two wins:  in 1999 and 2015.  Hope springs eternal and GCQ fans are optimistic after a bye week.  To paraphrase your wish, I hope the Tigers play well and only lose by 1 ... with no injuries, solid play and good sportsmanship by both teams.