BB: NCAC: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by woosterbooster, December 29, 2005, 03:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Welcome aboard NCAC and woosterbooster!  Thanks for the posting.

This should be fun.  I encourage posting hyperlinks to stories of interest, to posting scores and game summaries, and other things of interest.

This will be a real "low-budget" operation, but most of us know how to use the tools that Pat has provided! :)

Good luck NCAC baseball fans...the "hot-stove" league is in session!

ScotsFan

Thanks for getting this set up.  I know I will be checking in on this site once the season starts up. 

Looks like Wooster has just reloaded as usual.  They lose the national POY in Ullman and another AA in Frank and yet they are still the #1 team in the country.  I must say, I was a bit surprised to see that, but they do return their entire picthing staff, and they never seem to be at a shortage of bats in that lineup.  Should be a fun spring to watch.  Does anyone happen to know if Wooster will be getting more home games this season?  I seem to recall that they didn't have too many last season.  I haven't checked out their schedule yet.  Maybe that would help? ::)

WoosterFAN

I have been looking but I do not see the preseason rankings for baseball.  Could you please post a link?  And by my count Wooster only lost the two All-Americans and the whole left side of infield.  Reload?  Let's hope so.
I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction:
"I served in the United States Navy" John F Kennedy

woosterbooster

QuoteI have been looking but I do not see the preseason rankings for baseball.  Could you please post a link?
[/i]Woosterfan -

Back out of this this topic and look under "DIII Baseball Polls".  The poll is in there, as is it's source, baseballnews.com

Jack

woosterbooster

QuoteDoes anyone happen to know if Wooster will be getting more home games this season?

Wooster will play 16 home games on 11 dates, which is quite a few more than last season (all of which I missed due to a broken ankle).  Their schedule is posted, but there are still a few unlisted opponents on the Florida trip.

Wooster's 2006 roster is also posted.  Riley Enos, a pitcher with lots of promise but who had arm problems last season, seems to no longer be on the team.  The oddity is that it looks like a younger brother of his, Oliver, a catcher/infielder (another oddity) is an incoming freshman.

Wooster's pitching staff has added yet a third Samson brother, Michael, who will follow in the footsteps of senior Walt and sophomore Adam.  Michael is listed at 6' and 200, which would make him the biggest of the three.  He's another lefty.

Jack

ScotsFan

Quote from: WoosterFAN on December 29, 2005, 09:19:07 PM
And by my count Wooster only lost the two All-Americans and the whole left side of infield. Reload? Let's hope so.
WF, I'm just assuming they must have a lot of talent coming up to lose two 1st Team AA's and still be ranked #1.  They do have two 2nd Team AA's returning in Jon Oliver and Pat Christensen.  Christinsen happened to be the national newcomer of the year as well last season.  Their pitching staff is loaded, which I'm guessing is the main reason behind their lofty preseason ranking.

earlhamalum

Wooster Booster- U accidently put hiram's web-page for Denison... just wanted to let you know.

Second of all... even though Earlham is in my name and i played baseball for four-years i'm going to have to find another  fav. NCAC baseball team... since I mean i'll keep up with EC..... i'm not just to sure who it is going to be.  Wittenberg is out of the picture for sure.  Wabash is close to being out of the PIcture.  I always liked the way OWU played the game... and Denison had some pretty good years.  Both those teams have a lot of class and wabash for the most part...  I'll most likely stay in the West.. :)   

I don't think i can go for Wooster... only because in two sports i never beat them ONCE... good news.. i'm 0 For 0 agaist the Scots. :)
*Yi-Pi-KI-A Mother *BEEP

woosterbooster

QuoteWooster Booster- U accidently put hiram's web-page for Denison... just wanted to let you know.

Thanks for catching that.  I want to re-align that post anyway, but can't yet, because I don't have the "edit" feature.  If Pat gives it to me, I'll make the fix.

I totally agree with you about both Denison and OWU.  OWU of course very good for years, Denison on the rise, and both classy programs.

A few years ago, during the NCAA regionals over at Thurman Munson Field in Canton, when both Wooster and OWU were involved, there was a rash of terrible weather.  Big-time thunderstorms, and a tornado actually passed by just to the north. The games were delayed, of course, and while waiting out the rain at a nearby Subway I ran into some of the OWU players.  We talked for a while and I was really impressed.  Whenever Wooster's not involved in a game, I'm an OWU fan.

Now, if you want my opinion about Wittenberg or Allegheny... ;-)

Jack

woosterbooster

I've noticed another "missing" player from Wooster's 2006 roster besides pitcher Riley Enos.  Ross Yoder, last season's starting secondbaseman, who should only be a junior this year, isn't listed. He was very solid on both sides of the ball last year, and if he really isn't returning, he'll be missed.

ghostface

I a little biased but who are some of the best players in the league.

OWU's Kyle Sherman is a great pro prospect. Who else has that potential in the league?

ScotsFan

Quote from: Wooster Booster on December 31, 2005, 05:41:07 PM
I've noticed another "missing" player from Wooster's 2006 roster besides pitcher Riley Enos.  Ross Yoder, last season's starting secondbaseman, who should only be a junior this year, isn't listed. He was very solid on both sides of the ball last year, and if he really isn't returning, he'll be missed.
Ross transferred to Mt. Vernon Nazerene.  There was a writeup in the Wooster Weekly about the Scots' preseason #1 ranking and it was mentioned in there.  That means that Wooster will have to replace three fourths of their infield.  Coach Pettorini did mention that he's got a couple of pretty good recruits to fill SS and 3rd base.  As for Yoder's spot at 2nd, I'm sure they have someone to step up and fill that too. 

woosterbooster

That's too bad about Yoder, he'll definitely be missed.  I wonder if the Scots will once again be considering moving Mike Barone into the infield as was a possibility before the beginning of last season when they were unsure of the return of Luke Ullman.

Jack

wally_wabash

Oh sweet...an NCAC baseball board.  I'm positively giddy. 

Wabash doesn't have a roster up yet and I hesitate to talk about who's back or not back because Wabash's baseball team seems to have a lot of turnover.  I think things have stabilized over the last few years...here's hoping this is the year Wabash can break through and get into the NCAC semis. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

kcreds

Wally, I'm with ya, I am very excited about having this board. I learned so much about NCAC football this year by following the football board and now I can lean on you guys to become more knowledgeable about DIII baseball. The only team I am familiar with is Marietta and they have a great tradition. I now will be getting to know the OWU program a lot more since Jr. will be playing there. He is ecstatic about the program and he seems to really like their new coach, Durant. Jr. is a catcher and my understanding is that Durant played catcher at Ohio State. Go Bishops!

Kudos to Ralph Turner.

Here is to getting to baseball weather soon!