ECACs

Started by AUKaz00, November 16, 2008, 09:41:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: BomberJeff on November 13, 2017, 12:34:03 PM
Asa S. Bushnell Bowl, Saturday 11AM- Muhlenberg v Carnegie-Mellon

My alma mater versus my dad's alma mater!
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

MRMIKESMITH

Planning to be at the game this Saturday. Hopefully, I can watch some of the playoff games before and as a passenger. Looking ahead it appears that we may have some PM showers, which is not good for the Seagulls and great for Ithaca as they excel in crazy weather. If it gets too crazy, I'll go to a family member's house and watch online.

dlippiel

Quote from: MANDGSU on November 14, 2017, 01:03:20 PM
Planning to be at the game this Saturday. Hopefully, I can watch some of the playoff games before and as a passenger. Looking ahead it appears that we may have some PM showers, which is not good for the Seagulls and great for Ithaca as they excel in crazy weather. If it gets too crazy, I'll go to a family member's house and watch online.

dlip thinks the Gulls will have to air it out a bit against the Bombers. That Bomber D is pretty tough. dlip loves this match-up!!!

ITH radio

I've reached out twice to the ECAC w/o a response but am aware that there will be 3 games on 11/17. The whole D3FBFEST idea has been scrapped, so the games will occur at host / home sites of teams with the best records.

This is who the ECAC says has declared as of today (10/25):

2018 ECAC DIII Football Bowl Games Declared Teams
November 17 | Campus Sites
Wilkes University   MAC
Misericordia University   MAC
Washington & Jefferson College   PAC
FDU-Florham   MAC
Springfield College   NEWMAC
USMMA   NEWMAC
Utica College   Empire 8
Morrisville State   Empire 8
Alfred University   Empire 8
Ithaca College   Liberty League
Wesley College   NJAC
Waynesburg University   PAC

Based on the ECAC members list (which is pretty dated, website is from 2016), these are other likely / potential candidates based on current records.

Other teams that could file (or not - short list honestly given the other bowl games and NCAA implications):

CMU 4-3, 3-3 (Tartans have regularly participated in the ECAC bowls)
HUS 5-2, 4-0 (likely ECFC Pool A bid)
JHU 6-1, 5-1 (currently in 2nd place in CC, likely CC-MAC bowl participant if they lose to MUH)
MUH 7-0, 6-0 (currently in 1st place in CC, plays JHU on 10/27, possible Pool C team? if they lose)
RPI 6-0, 2-0 (currently in 1st place in LL, likely Pool A winner)
SALS 7-0, 6-0 (tied for 1st in NJAC but still have to play Rowan,WES and FSU - participated in ECACs last year)
SUNY-M 5-2, 3-1 (opted for NE Bowl last season)
STE 6-2, 5-1 (likely CC-MAC team)
Union 5-2, 1-2
WESTM 5-3, 4-2 (just upset W&J, participated last year)
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

MRMIKESMITH

Carnegie Mellon just rescheduled their game against Geneva for the 17th, so their out for ECACs due to the tragic event this past week.

ITH radio

A few more bids are in:

Bethany College   PAC
Grove City College   PAC
Westminster College   PAC
Frostburg State University   NJAC
SUNY-Maritime ECFC

ITH radio

Some projections:

Wilkes 5-4 (off this wkd, plays Kings in Wk 11) - finishing 6-4, 5-3 in the MAC still may not be enough to crack the top 3 CC-MAC bowl series (guessing 2 of the MAC teams will be MIS and STE, third team is still TBD). The Colonels would need to beat Kings and hope Widener (currently 4-2 and 3rd place in MAC play) to drops one of their games against FDU or DVC to end up .500 or worse. If both are 5-5 at the end of the season, it's not likely either would go bowling (Widener has not filed w/ ECACs yet so they are probably CC-MAC or bust).

FDU-Florham (plays Widener in Wk 10 & Stevenson in Wk 11) - unless they beat Widener, the Devils are probably not going to make the cut. 5-3 now so need to end up 6-4 at the worse case. Could pair up well against a PAC team or maybe USMMA given the proximity to NYC.

Springfield (plays Maine Maritime and MIT in Wks 10 & 11) - The Pride will likely get picked for a NE bowl appearance as one of top NEWMAC teams that won't end up in NCAAs. No chance they lose to MMA, so worse case is a 7-3 record.

USMMA (plays CUA and USCGA in Wks 10 & 11) - The Mariners win both and they should get the Pool B (we think). Loss to Coast Guard however could drop them into an ECAC game with a 7-2 mark.

Utica (plays Buff St and Hartwick in Wks 10 & 11) - There's a very good chance the Pios end up 6-4 and a solid potential ECAC bowl road candidate.

SUNY-MO (plays Hartwick & BP in Wks 10 & 11) - Mustangs are probably also looking at a 6-4 finish and being a potential road candidate also. They did beat UC H2H so they hold a tiebreaker type of edge there.

Alfred - still guessing they end up 7-3 with wins over Fisher and UofR, taking 2nd place in the E8 and hosting the NYS Bowl (given the H2H win over Cortland and it's the E8's year to host, mostly likely either a 6-3 or 5-4 Hobart team)

Ithaca (plays Hobart and Cort St in Wks 10 & 11) - if the Bombers win both games, they'll be 8-2 and in the position to host an ECAC game, given they already played Alfred and Cortland in the regular season and probably once again pass on the NYS game (see 2017). A loss to Hobart cements the Statesmen as the #2 team in the LL, with a win against SLU needed to lock that NYS game in.

Wesley (plays Salisbury and CNU in Wks 10 & 11) - if the Wolverines end up 7-3 they could also host an ECAC game, imo (albeit I secretly am hoping for an IC vs WES match up). If they lose to SALs and end up 6-4, they will be a road team most likely.

Waynesburg - with games against CWRU and W&J to end the season, I don't think we'll be seeing the Jackets in a bowl game.

SUNY-M - plays Hampton and GAL to end the season. Worse case looking at 7-3 or 6-4. If they end up 8-2, book them for another round of NE bowl as the ECFC rep. Prob vs. SC or MIT.

Bethany College - only 3-5, not likely going to make the cut.

Grove City and Westminster - both 5-3 but GC has an easier path to getting to a 6-4 or 7-3 mark than the Titans do. If Westminster knocks off CMU and Geneva to get to 7-3, they could be a host.

ITH radio

FDU's win creates a log-jam for 3rd in the MAC with three 4-3 teams. The Devils have the best overall record as of now, but they could be jumped by Wilkes into that 3rd bowl game bc of a H2H win. Either way, it's a historic victory for the Devils and they should be in good shape for an ECAC bid even if they lose to Stevenson in the season finale.

ITH radio

Updated "standings"
Teams who bid but will who'll almost definitely play elsewhere:
MIS (likely top rated MAC team in the CC-MAC series), SUNY-M (clear 2nd place team in ECFC, likely headed back to NE bowl as ECFC rep)

Teams that probably won't qualify:
Waynesburg, Bethany

The field:

W&J - 8-1, needs to beat Waynesburg (4-5) to clinch PAC Pool A, lose and no Pool C shot unless CRWU loses too. In the unlikely event they lost to Wayne, they would be a good host candidate at 8-2
FDU - 6-3, should have a good shot at bid, even if they lose to Stevenson and end up 6-4.
Wilkes - 5-4, should have a good shot at 3rd MAC-CC bowl, if they lose to Kings and end up 5-5 would be an ECAC bubble team
SC - 7-2, will depend on MIT game, they win and they'll go a NE bowl, lose to go 7-3 and SC is a potential host or road team
USMMA 7-1, would end up in ECACs if they lost to CGA and miss the Pool B bid bc TMU gives SJU a good run
Utica - 6-3, could end up in an ECAC game, SUNY-Mo beat them H2H so you'd think at 6-4 (losers to BP), could block them, but their overall resume is strong, played a lot of top teams closely
SUNY-MO - 6-3, see above
AU - 5-4, kind of a surprise but a 6-4 mark with a win over UofR Saturday could get them a bid as a road team
IC - 7-2, win or lose Cortaca, will see IC get a bid, probably as a host team
WES - 6-3, beat CNU to go 7-3 and WES could be a host (would be awesome if they played IC tho)
GCC - 6-3, looking like a lock to go 7-3
Westminister - 6-3, beat a good CMU team and should also end up 7-3 (lost to GCC h2h, but upset W&J)
FSU - 8-0, beats Salisbury and goes to NCAAs, loses and is probably in Pool C, but no guarantees.

ITH radio

ECAC reserves right to add a 4th game, but has officially announced 3 for now

BomberJeff

So, let's see what we are looking at now with the field.

Wilkes (5-5), FDU-Florham (6-4), Springfield (7-3), USMMA (7-2), Utica (7-3), Morrisville State (6-4), Alfred (6-4), Ithaca (8-2), Wesley (6-4), Grove City (7-3), Westminster (7-3), Bethany (5-5), and Salisbury (8-2).

Morrisville beat Utica head to head, same for Grove City over Westminster, USMMA over Springfield, Morisville State over Utica, Wesley defeated Salisbury and Wilkes over FDU-Florham. Alfred went 1-2 against these teams, beating Morrisville State but losing to Utica and Ithaca.

BomberJeff

I must admit, I don't really know what the logic is with scheduling in the ECAC.  That said, I'm going to take a stab and see if I can come up with 3 (or 4) games for a guess. I am going to try and keep travel reasonable as my best attempt at being realistic.

A- Springfield at Ithaca: a Empire 8 rematch with 2 teams no longer in the conference.
B- Westminster at Salisbury: somebody has to go to Maryland and Wesley already played them in the regular season. I will take Westminster here on the basis of their more impressive SOS and win over W&J, even losing to Grove City.
C- Utica at USMMA: Given the mess of head to heads involved here, I'm just going to go with best record in the E8 but say they have not earned a home game, which is fine as I don't have an issue with USMMA getting a host spot.

If they go 4 games: Grove City instead gets sent to Salisbury.  Westminster gets a home game against... I feel like I'm just throwing darts at this point.  On the basis of SOS, I'm going to say Wesley.

On my guesses, regardless of 3 games or 4, I don't see Morrisville State, Alfred or FDU-Florham going in. Wilkes and Bethany are non-starters due to not having winning records.

Again, largely uneducated guessing.  Granted, what else is new for this board?

MRMIKESMITH

I think Salisbury may have been a late addition to the Bowl landscape. I didn't think we declared. However, we never missed an opportunity to have one. I am not sure who we are going to play, but hopefully  it's a good team. I'd rather the top teams play each other , other than weaker vs. Stronger. Nevertheless, it's a good opportunity to play another game for the Seniors (especially Pipich) and significant practice time for younger guys.

NED3Guy

Springfield hosting SUNY Martitme in New England Bowl.

Write up on SUNY Martitme website.

thewaterboy

Any idea on when and where these matchups will be posted?