MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Middfan

Former Skidmore star joins Middlebury Coaching Staff.  Many NESCAC followers have known Connor from his playing days.  Vermont locals followed him from high school to Skidmore, onto the staff at Vermont Academy then doing a two year stint at the fine Springfield program.  While losing Kyle Dudley, a strong (5-year?) assistant for Coach Brown, Connor looks to be a great and natural pick up.  Kyle has moved on to be the head coach at the Salisbury School, a quality prep program.

http://www.addisonindependent.com/201808former-vergennes-union-all-star-joins-panther-staff

toad22

Speaking of assistant coaches, Williams' Justin Bradley is now the 2nd assistant coach at Dartmouth. Justin has been at Williams for two years, and was a fine assistant for Kevin App. We wish him the best, as he continues his coaching career. No word yet on a replacement.

nescac1

Very cool re: Krill.  As a mature, physical big guy who can board and shoot, I think he can help a D1 team off the bench.  In light of the success of Hart, Robinson and Sabety, I think we will see more Nescac guys (and D3 guys in general) being offered, and taking advantage of, these opportunities.  A 23 year old with four years of college experience in many cases can offer more than a far more physically talented 18-year-old.  Kyle Scadlock as a fifth-year player should in particular be in high demand next year if he wants to earn a grad degree.  He has D1 physical attributes already. 

nyhoopstalk

Quote from: jayhawk on August 22, 2018, 09:02:55 AM
update on Nathan Krill from Wesleyan- continued postgrad year on west coast

https://napavalleyregister.com/sports/college-and-pro/justin-siena-alum-krill-playing-basketball-on-west-coast-again/article_4872e424-2626-55da-b4d6-67f9bfde8156.html

I am not familiar with this rule in Division 3. Did he have one more year left of eligibility at Wesleyan and bypassed it to play Division 1 basketball?

nescac1

It's a rule in all divisions.  If a player earns an undergrad degree but has eligibility remaining (typically due to a redshirt) he is immediately available to play anywhere he pursues a grad degree.

nyhoopstalk

Quote from: nescac1 on August 23, 2018, 07:40:15 PM
It's a rule in all divisions.  If a player earns an undergrad degree but has eligibility remaining (typically due to a redshirt) he is immediately available to play anywhere he pursues a grad degree.

Thank you!

OldCardinal

Actually, I believe that a DIII player can only play DIII as a grad student at the school he graduated from (in this case Wesleyan).  He can play DI anywhere. 

nescac1

Really Old Cardinal?  Interesting, didn't know that. 

AndOne

Quote from: OldCardinal on August 24, 2018, 10:20:41 AM

Actually, I believe that a DIII player can only play DIII as a grad student at the school he graduated from (in this case Wesleyan).  He can play DI anywhere.

No longer.
At the 2018 NCAA convention in January, delegates voted 369-91 to allow D3 athletes who have graduated, but still have eligibility remaining, to play at any other D3 school. Participation must still occur within the 10 semester/15 guarter period. The change was effective immediately.

I believe the primary thought process behind the change was to not exclude players who have eligibility remaining, but whose undergrad school does not have graduate programs, from being able to use their last year of eligibility. Prior to 1/18, you had to play your fourth year at the same school you graduated from so if your school doesn't offer graduate degrees, you were screwed as even though you may have had another year of eligibility remaining, you really couldn't use it.
The interesting thing is that this change had been defeated in August, 2017, only 5 months earlier.

OldCardinal

That's interesting.  I wasn't aware of that change.  As the number of students doing this has grown, the change makes sense.  DIII tends to place the focus on the student, not the school.  Thanks for the update.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

A previous version was shot down in 2017, but the 2018 version had some changes to it. The idea was that a student shouldn't be punished because their undergraduate school doesn't have the major they are interested in ... and to stay on and play their final year they have to participate in a major that maybe they have no use or interest.

The counter-point was that schools would now be recruiting students who have time available... but I just don't see that being a major factor. I think it was people being a bit paranoid.

This still focuses on the student. Allows the student to make the decision that is best for them academically and if they want to still participate athletically, they can as well. 99% of them know they aren't going on to play professionally, so it isn't like they are doing this for any other reason - maybe they want to win a championship, but they still have to focus on academics.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

nescac1

Thanks Dave, interesting.  Kyle Scadlock is clearly the guy who ANY D3 team and probably a handful of D1s would love to have for a year next year.  Other NESCAC guys with an extra year of potential eligibility who come to mind include Hilal Dahleh, Tim McCarthy (unless he decides to take time off from Amherst), and I think Dean Weiner, although I'm not sure about him.  Any of those guys would help any D3 program as fifth-year seniors.  It will be interesting to see if a lot of guys - from NESCAC or elsewhere - take advantage of the new rule.  It could provide a huge advantage for strong D3 programs with appealing grad programs ... certainly the UAA schools could benefit as I think all of them host a wide area of very prestigious grad programs.   Imagine MIT or Wash U. adding a stud grad student who wants to leverage hoops for a second top-tier degree, for example! 

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

It actually makes way more sense in d3 than in d1.  I always laugh when I see a football player doing a grad transfer from, say North Carolina State to Wisconsin - imagine what masters program they have to get into just to find one the old school doesn't have?  I've never looked into it, but I wonder if Russell Wilson has 12 credits towards a Forestry degree or something.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

MiddWatcher

Good topic, with usual D3hoops excellent commentary. In this area, NESCAC ADs were justifiably nervous about potential ' recruiting advantages ' ( for the NESCACs with graduate programs ) and have amended for the purposes of equity within the league. Posters more than welcome to research further, but basically they will allow ' outgoers ' ( like Krill ) to go where they please, but they are going to restrict incomers from entering NESCAC graduate schools from having the opportunity to step right in and play. A sound approach, IMO, and not one that any of the NESCAC ADs had any problem agreeing to in June.  ( according to my sources ).  Otherwise, a pandora's  box. NESCAC has never liked opening up cracks in the wall for schools to take advantage of.  One of the many reasons why the NESCAC is so in line with Division III principles and a leader in its field.