MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackhawks4

Willamette wins and they're in. If WW wins they claim first. If Pac wins and UPS loses, Pac is in. That's easy.

This is where it gets tough...any help??

A) If UPS beats WW, WMN wins, and Willamette wins, WMN wins conference right?? Will owns tiebreaker over UPS, who finishes above Pacific

B) If UPS beats WW, WMN wins, and Pacific wins, UPS and PAC are 8-8, and WMN and WW are 14-2. Who is first and who is 4th?

A Buc Forever

I guess no one wants that 4th spot. Someone will get it tonight.

TryMeTeam

A.    WW - WM tie breaker:  They split, they both swept LC, and they both swept Will.  WW will have lost to UPS  and WM swept, so WM would be 1st, WW 2nd, LC 3rd, and WIL (if they win) 4th because they beat UPS twice.

B.   If UPS wins and Pac wins, UPS gets the 4th spot because they beat WW and Pac did not. 

So,if WM wins and:
UPS wins, Will wins, Will is in (4th).
UPS wins, Pac wins, UPS is in (4th).
UPS loses, Pac vs Will for 4th spot.

My guess is Pac.

The 4th spot in not very attractive, but one of these years, .....

Pinecone_Curtain

Quote from: TryMeTeam on February 21, 2015, 05:42:10 PM
A.    WW - WM tie breaker:  They split, they both swept LC, and they both swept Will.  WW will have lost to UPS  and WM swept, so WM would be 1st, WW 2nd, LC 3rd, and WIL (if they win) 4th because they beat UPS twice.

Correct me if I'm wrong--and I might be--but let's say WW loses tonight and WM wins. They would both be at 14-2 and would be co-NWC champs. But based on the tiebreakers, WM would get the home court for the playoffs. Is that correct? I think WW has clinched at least a share of the title.

Congrats to LF last night!

blackhawks4

GUTSY win by Whitman tonight after trailing most of the game.  When it comes to the playoffs, its all about your guards--and Whitman's DELIVERED tonight.  Whitman was down 2 with 3 seconds left, and Tochi Oti steps up to the Free Throw line and knocks two down to force OT.  And what can be said about Matt Mournier...except he's flat out making some big time shots.

Hats off to PLU tonight.  They 1) handled the Whitman pressure, and 2) did a nice job cutting off the rim.  They played a good game.

Hats off to Whitworth.  They are so darn consistent.  15-1...again.  In the past several years they have rarely lost a game they should have won.

Playoff table is set.  Road goes through Spokane.

blackhawks4

There is such a discrepancy in talent in the NWC this year, WW and WMN deserve two 1st teamers.

POTY:  Kenny Love
Mournier
Jackson Clough
Jurlina

Last two spots (your choice, but i'd go 1st two):  Holden, Ovchinnikov, Luedtke

playball

Buc, rib as you will but at least I can point to something ridiculous that you thought would fly.  Civil war weekend and you wanted to see the game but we were scheduled at home against you guys.  "Well, we can get Gill coliseum if you wanted to reschedule."  Yes, Buc, we would love to reschedule our home game to a neutral site to appease the Rileys.  Makes sense! 

But yes, Linfield blows.  WW are perennial champs.  Congrats, you win. 

Pinecone_Curtain

Can I quote myself from earlier in the year?

Quote from: Pinecone_Curtain on November 07, 2014, 02:53:43 AM
I'm actually a little afraid of Whitman this year. They usually bring their A game for Whitworth, but then have those slip ups (loss @ Pacific last year) along the way. If they can figure those out, they could pose a real threat to Whitworth's dominance.

That one slip up cost WM a split title. And that's the biggest reason why WW has won 6 straight: WM might have as much talent as WW, but only WW takes care of business vs. lesser teams. WM always has that crap the bed game (and almost 2 this year--lucky to escape PLU with a W tonight).

"I couldn't be prouder of our two seniors for helping this group mature and for withstanding the target that comes with playing for Whitworth University.  This program is bigger than any of us involved individually and it's just a special, special thing to be a part of." -Logie after tonight...love how he's embraced the hoops tradition.

And if I can steal from Tennessee: "It's great...to be...a Whitworth Pirate!" 6 straight! Congrats to the coaching staff and the team. It's tourney time!

Pinecone_Curtain

Quote from: blackhawks4 on February 21, 2015, 11:47:59 PM
There is such a discrepancy in talent in the NWC this year, WW and WMN deserve two 1st teamers.

POTY:  Kenny Love
Mournier
Jackson Clough
Jurlina

Last two spots (your choice, but i'd go 1st two):  Holden, Ovchinnikov, Luedtke

Agree, Blackhawk.

Here's my All-NWC

POTY: K-Love
COTY: Logie or Kip (close one...one went 15-1 in NWC, the other took a cellar dweller to the playoffs)

1st Team: Jurlina, Mournier, Clough, Holden, Luedtke

A Buc Forever

WW gets the title by not slipping up. The key to championships.

Winning the next two games is going to tough. Should be a fun league tournament. The Whits a both playing well right now. Nice to see Willamette back in the top part of the league. LC does not get much love on this board. Congrats to them for a great league season.

Playball, I was just trying to help get some LF fans at the game. All of your LF fans must of been at the Civil War game and tailgating afterwards. There were more Whitworth fans than LF fans at the basketball game that night.

playball

Quote from: A Buc Forever on February 22, 2015, 06:23:22 AM
WW gets the title by not slipping up. The key to championships.

Winning the next two games is going to tough. Should be a fun league tournament. The Whits a both playing well right now. Nice to see Willamette back in the top part of the league. LC does not get much love on this board. Congrats to them for a great league season.

Playball, I was just trying to help get some LF fans at the game. All of your LF fans must of been at the Civil War game and tailgating afterwards. There were more Whitworth fans than LF fans at the basketball game that night.

Haha!  Touché!

playball

Fun fact: Linfield didn't have a player average 10 ppg this year.  First time in program history.

blackhawks4

Quote from: Pinecone_Curtain on February 22, 2015, 05:03:49 AM
That one slip up cost WM a split title. And that's the biggest reason why WW has won 6 straight: WM might have as much talent as WW, but only WW takes care of business vs. lesser teams. WM always has that crap the bed game (and almost 2 this year--lucky to escape PLU with a W tonight).

"I couldn't be prouder of our two seniors for helping this group mature and for withstanding the target that comes with playing for Whitworth University.  This program is bigger than any of us involved individually and it's just a special, special thing to be a part of." -Logie after tonight...love how he's embraced the hoops tradition.

And if I can steal from Tennessee: "It's great...to be...a Whitworth Pirate!" 6 straight! Congrats to the coaching staff and the team. It's tourney time!

This is your problem, Pinecone.  You're not special.  There is nothing about Whitworth hoops that is special (period).  Your consistent and you're good.  But you're not special, you're not anything more than good--nor do you care to be.  You celebrate accomplishing the same goal every year.  For the past (however many) years your program has been stuck in the mud.  In fact, by everyone on this boards accords, you're worse than you were in years prior.  You're going backwards.  Why aren't you better?

In 7 years Whitman has gone from the very worst program in the NWC to 20-5, 14-2 in league (hardly "crapping the bed" as you so eloquently say).   If WMN can be 15 games better in 5 years, why can't Whitworth just be 1 game better in 5 years? Even when Bridge was at UPS it was conference win, next year sweet 16, next year elite 8...always getting better.

If WMN takes down WW in the conference tourney finals, and WW is sitting at home while WMN represents the conference, how will that feel?  That you've made no progress in all these years and Whitman has gone from worst to best.  What's going to happen next year, and the year after as WMN keeps building and WW keeps maintaining?

Pinecone_Curtain

Quote from: blackhawks4 on February 22, 2015, 03:23:08 PM
This is your problem, Pinecone.  You're not special.  There is nothing about Whitworth hoops that is special (period).  Your consistent and you're good.  But you're not special, you're not anything more than good--nor do you care to be.  You celebrate accomplishing the same goal every year.  For the past (however many) years your program has been stuck in the mud.  In fact, by everyone on this boards accords, you're worse than you were in years prior.  You're going backwards.  Why aren't you better?

I mean...I don't even know where to begin. Every other school in our conference would trade with us in a heartbeat--from the tradition (remember how we've won 6 straight regular season titles and 8 straight conference tournaments?), to the best crowd in the conference, to the best X's and O's coach in the conference. Who wouldn't trade with us right now? We do celebrate the same goal every year: winning the NWC. I'm cool with that. Would I love to get to a Final Four? Absolutely! If you don't think Whitworth wants to do that, you're crazy.

Lost a heartbreaker in the 2nd round last year, we've been to the E8, a couple S16's. For a PNW island school, I'm fine with that. We aren't a Wisconsin state school with 11k undergrads, cheaper prices and an 80+% acceptance rate (*cough* Whitewater *cough*  :)). We're all in the same boat here in the PNW. We are small schools that are expensive, academically prestigious, and it's tough to get kids from Cali up here. The NWC is pretty dependent on PNW kids, but WW's two best players are from Australia and California. If you can't get some kids outside the PNW to come to the northwest, it's tough to win.

In 7 years Whitman has gone from the very worst program in the NWC to 20-5, 14-2 in league (hardly "crapping the bed" as you so eloquently say).   If WMN can be 15 games better in 5 years, why can't Whitworth just be 1 game better in 5 years? Even when Bridge was at UPS it was conference win, next year sweet 16, next year elite 8...always getting better.

When you're at the bottom, there's nowhere to go but up...

And I'm not saying the WM program is crap, they just always have "that game" where they crap the bed. Pacific this year and last year, for example. WW hasn't lost to Pacific in...? You're right, Whitworth should be 15 games better just like WM in that time! Not sure why we aren't winning 40 games a year. #FireLogie

Shouldn't you be more mad at Bridge? He hasn't won the NWC with WM yet in, what, like 6 years?! He got a huge donor to donate a lot of money a couple years ago and still can't jump the WW hurdle. Why aren't you more mad at him? Why are you so worried about WW's success? We went 15-1 this year. You worry about your program in Walla Walla, we're cool up here with our 6 straight.

If WMN takes down WW in the conference tourney finals, and WW is sitting at home while WMN represents the conference, how will that feel?  That you've made no progress in all these years and Whitman has gone from worst to best.  What's going to happen next year, and the year after as WMN keeps building and WW keeps maintaining?

That would suck, but WM is good too. You talk as if WW gives WM no respect. We do. You're good under Bridge, but so are we under Logie! If WM can beat WW at WW, they deserve it. No doubt. Bridge has been at WM longer than Logie at WW, and what does he have to show for it? A bunch of 2nd place trophies. Cool. I'll take Logie and 6 straight, thank you.

Did I mention 6 straight?  ;D

(509)Rat

Ah, another bhawks post that made us all dumber for having read...

QuoteIn 7 years Whitman has gone from the very worst program in the NWC to 20-5, 14-2 in league (hardly "crapping the bed" as you so eloquently say)

Actually, he said "WM always has that crap the bed game." Game is singular. ie Pacific. Which is 100% true.

QuoteIf WMN can be 15 games better in 5 years, why can't Whitworth just be 1 game better in 5 years?

Here's WMN last 5 years in conference play...
14-2
11-5
12-4
11-5
11-5

Hardly "always getting better." Why is it that Whitman can be stagnant for such a long period of time, and even take a step back in 2013-2014, but nobody else can?

QuoteEven when Bridge was at UPS it was conference win, next year sweet 16, next year elite 8...always getting better.

Then what happened? Oh, he left before he could inevitably have a season where he did worse than the year prior?

QuoteThis is your problem, Pinecone.  You're not special.  There is nothing about Whitworth hoops that is special (period).  Your consistent and you're good.  But you're not special, you're not anything more than good--nor do you care to be.  You celebrate accomplishing the same goal every year.  For the past (however many) years your program has been stuck in the mud.  In fact, by everyone on this boards accords, you're worse than you were in years prior.  You're going backwards.  Why aren't you better?

I'm still having difficulty understanding and comprehending your point, and this isn't even the dumbest thing you wrote in that last post. 10 straight 20 win seasons and 6 straight conference championships and 8 of the last 9. If WMN ever does that they can be special too. I mean blackhawks whole argument is that because Whitworth is only winning the conference every year and not getting perpetually better (which is impossible) that they shouldn't be applauded/celebrated...seriously. Go write Coach K an email telling him how his 1000th win was crap because of all his teams in the past that didn't win national championships and despite years of national relevance his team has gone "backwards" for a year or two at a time plenty. Gonzaga has an SB nation site (slipperstillfits) that you should go post on, poo-pooing their fans too. Who cares that they completely transformed a mid-major into a legitimate top 25 program year in and year out. They aren't special, they haven't won it all and they are only good for 28 wins a year and for some reason can't keep winning more than that every year. losers.

If bhawks really believes what he types, I mean, if that is his actual thought process and those are his actual reasoning and critical thinking abilities...Bridgeland deserves an award for getting him through UPS' admissions process