Previous topic - Next topic

almcguirejr

Quote from: HollandKnight on March 05, 2013, 08:55:13 PM
Quote from: sac on March 05, 2013, 04:25:35 PM
dates to circle

Saturday Jan. 11, 2014   Hope at Calvin
Wednesday Feb. 5, 2014  Calvin at Hope

Saturday, March 1, 2014 MIAA Championship game
I'm excited to see how those games and more importantly there seasons turn out especially with both teams loosing 2 key players (Hope: Overway and Snuggerud and Calvin: Powell and Rietema) both are also loosing minor players (Demaagd and Deboer {whose leadership will be missed}).

But why dwell on the future when we are standing in the present.

Calvin also losing Snikkers.

Knightmare

dates to circle

I'm excited to see how those games and more importantly there seasons turn out especially with both teams loosing 2 key players (Hope: Overway and Snuggerud and Calvin: Powell and Rietema) both are also loosing minor players (Demaagd and Deboer {whose leadership will be missed}).

I think you missed one key player on the Calvin side...he may not have won the MIAA MVP this year but I don't think there is anyone on this board who would say that Tom Snikkers isn't a KEY player and significant loss, probably more so than the two you did mention  ;)

sac

dates to circle

I saw next years MIAA schedule and figured I'd be helpful and post the dates most people who post on here care about. 

As per usual it was met with a smart ass response, I'm sure I would have done the same. ;) ;)

Knightmare

Quote from: almcguirejr on March 05, 2013, 09:02:03 PM
dates to circle

Al  beat me to the punch by a whole 6 seconds.  +k

HollandKnight

Quote from: almcguirejr on March 05, 2013, 09:02:03 PM
dates to circle

Oh Yeah Snikkers too
Owner of the 2013 Post of The Year voted by HopeConvert

Happy Calvin Guy

Quote from: ziggy on March 06, 2013, 10:57:24 AM
Quote from: ziggy on March 05, 2013, 07:26:03 PM
Good news to report. Evidence video might be available now exists per the UWSP AD's twitter account.

Boom: http://www4.uwsp.edu/media/live/LiveStreamsports.html

Many thanks, Daron Montgomery. Knight nation appreciates this!

John Gleich

Quote from: Happy Calvin Guy on March 06, 2013, 11:07:04 AM
Quote from: ziggy on March 06, 2013, 10:57:24 AM
Quote from: ziggy on March 05, 2013, 07:26:03 PM
Good news to report. Evidence video might be available now exists per the UWSP AD's twitter account.

Boom: http://www4.uwsp.edu/media/live/LiveStreamsports.html

Many thanks, Daron Montgomery. Knight nation appreciates this!

As do Pointer fans several hundred miles away!!
UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich

maroonandgold

Quote from: KnightSlappy on March 04, 2013, 11:47:41 am

Quote from: Happy Calvin Guy on March 04, 2013, 08:55:41 am

Any possibility we start Brink-Vallie-DeVries-Dykstra-Kruis next year?  That lineup would average 6 feet, six and half inches across the starting five....wow.

I've thought about that exact lineup the last couple of weeks, but I think the ball handling ability will leave too much to be desired. The height would be outstanding, however.

quote from Holland Knight

QuoteThe improvement of Dan Stout this year has had me thinking as well. I think Calvin is going to want him playing more than 12-14 minutes per game next year -- both because he's becoming quite good and because he'll most likely need to play a bunch of minutes the following year upon the departure of Kruis -- so I think we could see 5-8 minutes per game of Kruis-Stout on the floor for Calvin (because you're not increasing Stout's minutes at the expense of Kruis). I think that also means that Tyler Dykstra sees a bunch of minutes -- maybe even the majority of his minutes -- at the "three" position. The starting front court could very well be Dykstra-DeVries-Kruis.

Taking Brink and Parks (because he's taller than Nadeau) as the back court would yield an average starting height of 6-5.4. Nadeau instead of Parks would make it 6-5.

How does Nadeau- Brink- Devries- Dykstra- Kruis and Vallie in the no.6 spot sound? To me it poses a ball-handling threat, size threat and the three ball presence is there especially if the bigs step out and shoot like they did against RHIT and also majority of the year.

Have not looked at this web site for a few days.  So my comments on the subject are a little late.  But I have also been thinking about the effect of losing 4 seniors on the Knight's starting lineup next year.  Two players that to me seem like strong possibilities in the the starting lineup are Dan Stout and Mitch Vallie.  I could see a starting lineup of Kruis, Dykstra, Stout or Vallie at shooting forward, Brink, and Nadeau at guard.  Although I think De Vries is certainly good enough to do a good job at forward, his lack of outside shooting most of this year makes me think he might be most effective backing up Tyler Dykstra.  Both play a somewhat similar style emphasizing defense and rebounding at this point.  I would want the forward opposite Dykstra to bring more outside shooting, which would come best from Vallie.  Stout has also shown the ability to hit a decent percentage of outside shots.  With all of the young talented guards coming up to the varsity, I would use Vallie at forward and use the best combination of Parks, Daley, and Huizinga for backup guards.  They have all impressed me as capable players.  With the exception of Huizinga, who seems to handle the ball well at guard, they are all natural guards.  Even though Mitch Vallie has done a decent job at backup guard, his skills look best at forward, and he has enough height to do the job.

Happy Calvin Guy

Quote from: maroonandgold on March 06, 2013, 02:01:06 PM
Although I think De Vries is certainly good enough to do a good job at forward, his lack of outside shooting most of this year makes me think he might be most effective backing up Tyler Dykstra.  Both play a somewhat similar style emphasizing defense and rebounding at this point.  I would want the forward opposite Dykstra to bring more outside shooting, which would come best from Vallie. 

I think KnightSlappy made an excellent point on this topic in saying that DeVries may be a better fit for the 4 spot and Dykstra is more of a 3, despite being taller.  I have to respectfully disagree with you that they (DeVries, Dykstra) play a similar style.  DeVries is a scrappy, physical rebounder and shot blocker, while Dykstra's game at this point is much more finesse, and he has an excellent three point shot (2nd on the team to Bryan Powell in 3Pt % for those who averaged at least 1 attempt per game).  I do believe that one key for the Knights is for Dykstra to put on 10-20 lbs in the weightroom this offseason, and another key is for DeVries to work on the outside shot--signs of great promise against RHIT.  And for the record, I also would have no problem with Dan Stout being a starter--he has quietly developed into an excellent and very versatile post player--I'm just not sure who I'd send to the bench. 

maroonandgold

Quote from: maroonandgold on Today at 02:01:06 pm

Although I think De Vries is certainly good enough to do a good job at forward, his lack of outside shooting most of this year makes me think he might be most effective backing up Tyler Dykstra.  Both play a somewhat similar style emphasizing defense and rebounding at this point.  I would want the forward opposite Dykstra to bring more outside shooting, which would come best from Vallie.

[quote from Happy Calvin guy]I think KnightSlappy made an excellent point on this topic in saying that DeVries may be a better fit for the 4 spot and Dykstra is more of a 3, despite being taller.  I have to respectfully disagree with you that they (DeVries, Dykstra) play a similar style.  DeVries is a scrappy, physical rebounder and shot blocker, while Dykstra's game at this point is much more finesse, and he has an excellent three point shot (2nd on the team to Bryan Powell in 3Pt % for those who averaged at least 1 attempt per game).  I do believe that one key for the Knights is for Dykstra to put on 10-20 lbs in the weightroom this offseason, and another key is for DeVries to work on the outside shot--signs of great promise against RHIT.  And for the record, I also would have no problem with Dan Stout being a starter--he has quietly developed into an excellent and very versatile post player--I'm just not sure who I'd send to the bench. [/quote]

I'll have to agree with HCG that Dykstra has shown the ability to shoot a good percentage from any distance.  That has not been true of De Vries prior to RHIT.  The problem with Dykstra is not that he fails to shoot accurately; it is that he does not seem to take many shots, or that he needs more room to get off a shot.  Whoever plays the three has to be able to get off more shots.  Maybe Dykstra could do that, but so far he has provided more defense and rebounding than scoring.  I also like the idea of having him add weight to avoid getting pushed around.  I'll also have to agree that De Vries has been scrappier, but he could use a little more weight to hold position better without fouls.  One idea none of us mentioned is the possibility of having Eric Brower play backup center if Stout plays more at forward.  I have not seen much of his play, but I remember hearing positive comments about him.  Is he more of a center or a forward?  Is he ready for more minutes on the varsity.

Flying Dutch Fan

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this year's Calvin team is still playing, right?  I understand us Hope fans (or any other school not still in it) thinking about what might be next year, but it just seems a bit wierd to me that you are busy doing that while this year's team is still playing and (I would think) favored to win again this weekend.   
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

sac

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on March 06, 2013, 03:52:23 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this year's Calvin team is still playing, right?  I understand us Hope fans (or any other school not still in it) thinking about what might be next year, but it just seems a bit wierd to me that you are busy doing that while this year's team is still playing and (I would think) favored to win again this weekend.

look out

maroonandgold

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on March 06, 2013, 03:52:23 PMCorrect me if I'm wrong, but this year's Calvin team is still playing, right?  I understand us Hope fans (or any other school not still in it) thinking about what might be next year, but it just seems a bit wierd to me that you are busy doing that while this year's team is still playing and (I would think) favored to win again this weekend.   

Maybe we are effected by the fact that all the home games are over.  But I don't think it is weird (or wierd as FDF spelled it) to think ahead to next year.  However, it is a good point to look at the Dutch.  What would you expect to see as the new starting Dutch team?  I would think that you are pretty well set at all spots other than the forward positions.

Edit, fixed format

Gregory Sager

Quote from: maroonandgold on March 06, 2013, 04:06:35 PMMaybe we are effected by the fact that all the home games are over.  But I don't think it is weird (or wierd as FDF spelled it) to think ahead to next year.

Physician, heal thyself:

Affect Versus Effect

I typically let it slide when I see a word used incorrectly on d3boards.com. But when the person who made the mistake points out someone else's mistake while making one of his own ... well, then, he's just asking for it.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell