FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bishopleftiesdad

raiderpa

Quote from: formerd3db on February 09, 2019, 03:41:23 PM
raiderpa: 

Not meaning this as disrespectful to you, however, I am just curious.  When you previously mentioned it was never a high ankle sprain, do you know that for sure? If he had surgery for "shredded" ankle ligaments, that could indicate several possibilities.  It could mean/include either just the lateral (or medial "Deltoid") ligaments or the lateral ligaments and those and above, the latter of which includes what is called the syndesmosis.  The latter condition is more serious, however, both types of injuries can be the cause of ankle instability.  Most grade III ankle sprains (in which all three lateral ligaments of the ankle are completely sprained i.e. torn  sprain=tear and these are graded according to severity) can be and are treated non-surgically, yet if it is such that the ankle becomes unstable, then a reconstruction type of procedure (not a repair) is needed.  This usually occurs when an ankle injury is more of a chronic type, but can result after an initial injury.  Not knowing all the specifics, but what has been generally shared here on the board in the past makes me tend to think his ankle injury was more extensive and involved the syndesmosis, which technically then makes it a "high ankle sprain."  But, again, it could certainly have been just significant lateral ligament tears.  Some additional information about his injury would have been helpful for people to discuss the situation (if you or others have it-assuming that information has been released/permission given by the person involved for public discussion.) Again, I was curious as to further details since you and others have mentioned this and also am just adding to the discussion for informational purposes.  Of course, all that said, I certainly wish him all the best for recovery and return next season at 100%.

Edited to correct a couple of spelling typos and an inadvertent left out word. :)

No problem, but was told by Fulford himself.  Saw him at a bball game and asked how the ankle was healing and he told me of the scheduled surgery for ligament repair.  I said, "gee, on top of the high ankle sprain."  He said it never was a high ankle sprain and was ligaments from the beginning. 

formerd3db

That is fine, raiderpa.  Let me again just say that I was only adding to the overall discussion about ankle injuries in general and based on the general information that had been shared and posted by the various people on the board.  As I mentioned, obviously, we all agree that we all have to be careful in sharing information in the public forum regarding a player's personal injury/health information from a legal standpoint and that was how I was coming at it as well as I had no information about the specifics of his injury and, again, was only sharing in the discussion with regards to ankle injuries and potential treatment options in general, all as I previously indicated.  Let me be clear also (and please do not misunderstand me as this is not directed at you) that I made/make no judgement about you, or any of the other posters regarding any of this, nor do I make any judgement about Fulford in regards to the decision he made with/the advice of his physician(s) and his coaches about his decision to continue playing the remainder of the season, as was apparently one of the points of contention among some of the OAC posters on this board about him for whatever reasons.  Without question, he has great courage, determination and a "team player" and I respect all that and as I also said, I wish him the best in his recovery and return next year in his remaining collegiate career.

To quote that overused old phrase, I think we've all "beaten a dead horse" enough!  Thanks for sharing your comments to the discussion over all the time this has been going on from during the season and up to this present time.

"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

raiderpa

No judgements here.  Just passed along info from the "horse's mouth", to clear up the fact that the kid did not deserve some of the criticism he was getting about his quality of play.  Were this my son, I would have been hurt and angry about some of the stuff on the boards, when he was out there giving it all, in pain, and unable to play to his best due to circumstances that were not known. 
Perhaps I am a soft touch, but I hate to see kids taken to task by fans who sometimes are unbelievably unfeeling and not aware of "the rest of the story".

formerd3db

Quote from: raiderpa on February 11, 2019, 09:48:09 PM
No judgements here.  Just passed along info from the "horse's mouth", to clear up the fact that the kid did not deserve some of the criticism he was getting about his quality of play.  Were this my son, I would have been hurt and angry about some of the stuff on the boards, when he was out there giving it all, in pain, and unable to play to his best due to circumstances that were not known. 
Perhaps I am a soft touch, but I hate to see kids taken to task by fans who sometimes are unbelievably unfeeling and not aware of "the rest of the story".

Nor was I saying you were making any judgement either.  I understand and agree with your comments.  You were just relating some general information in the overall context of the discussion, just as I was.  Again, what both you and I are essentially saying is simply that is just what is wrong with the "rumor mill" and those people who have to voice their opinions without knowing the real truth/underlying facts about a given situation.  Thanks again.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Dr. Acula

Quote from: purple on February 11, 2019, 07:32:43 PM
  Count Dracula...I asked about the wrestling situation. Mount Union was penalized for some sort of NCAA violation. The coach was suspended for a month. It had to do with social media. Mount is still participating in the National Championship competition unencumbered. I did not yet talk to Lk.  My source was a UMU employee.
  It is truly vomit inspiring BW gets the paper title.

Thanks for the info, purple.  A month suspension seems steep, but lesson learned hopefully.  Onward and upward.

hsbsballcoach7

Quote from: hsbsballcoach7 on February 06, 2019, 11:15:38 PM
I've been trying to keep a little running tab on guys that have "committed" to Mount Union. This doesn't mean they're coming for sure obviously, but at least a small preview. If I miss any that people know of, please add. Good looking Oline so far. Some little speedy receivers (a couple remind me of BJ Mitchell... Not yet obviously)and undersized, but high motor Dline.

Davis Ward TE Hendersonville, TN
Duke Hill DT Memphis, TN
Luke Lukowski OL Auburn, NY
Terrance Brown DB Ecorse, MI
Adrian Brown DE Detroit, MI
Kaleb Noelle LB Batavia, OH
Javon Delancy CB Palm City,. FL
Troy Haynes QB Greenwood, DE
Makati Pruitt WR Conyers, GA
Jaelen Ray QB Kissimmee, FL
Jayden Jones LB Kentwood, MI
Jesse Komorowski QB Memphis, TN
Zachary Beckton S Atlanta, GA
Elijah Stefanic WR Kissimmee, FL
Max Anderson OL Buffalo, NY
Susu Uchendu DB Jackson, MI
Anthony Shaffer OL Hubbard, OH
Devond Dobbins DE Kalamazoo, MI
Mike Valadez OL San Antonio, TX
BJ Gardner RB Memphis, TN
Zack Mazza WR Flint, MI
Shondel Hardnett RB Detroit, MI
Quinten Howell LB Hudson, OH
Bo Sowers QB Holly Springs, NC
Jaxon Rodriguez S McAlester, OK
Kris Lopez LB Columbus, NJ
Clonet Charmant DE Port St Lucie, FL
Joe Massey DT Port St Lucie, FL
Zach Rankin RB Coventry, OH
Devontae Shingles RB Orlando, FL
Ethan Knisley OL/DT Bellbrook, OH
Deandre Parker RB Crystal River, FL
Deron Jenkins DB West Bloomfield, MI
Jelani Barker-Walls OG Southfield, MI
Aaron Wahler RB Cheektowaga, NY

Two nice wr to add.
La'Randy Swint WR Kissimmee, FL
Khyree Woody WR Canton McKinley.... Dude can play for sure.
Greg Dotstry RB Buckeye, AZ... Quick, good cutting and breakaway speed.
Josh Jones WR/DB Akron St. V ..... Looks like good all around player on O and D, just an athlete.

skunks_sidekick

I was able to watch the Woody kid a few times last year via replay/game of the week on local cable.  That is a nice "get" for Mount. 

hsbsballcoach7

TJ Josey, a UHMB product is getting ready for NFL pro days. Check out who is helping him prepare... None other than Cecil Shorts.
https://vimeo.com/316897937

gizzmo13

random question. Anyone think Pierre Garçon would be a nice (get) for the browns as san fran is probably willing to let him go?

hsbsballcoach7

Quote from: gizzmo13 on February 17, 2019, 10:33:09 PM
random question. Anyone think Pierre Garçon would be a nice (get) for the browns as san fran is probably willing to let him go?

Pierre had his contract non renewed so he is available. I thought he'd be a great addition to Cleveland, but not sure they want a veteran. He'd be a great 4-5th WR bc he can still play. I'd bet the Browns draft a WR in the top 3 runs guaranteed.

purple

Count Dracula.....got a little more information about the Mount Union wrestling penalties. The sanctions were imposed by the University, not the NCAA. The problem was social media post(s) by the coach. They alleged violations were self reported by Mount Union to the NCAA. As it turned out the NCAA regarded them as "secondary", what ever that means. I am sure some of you know, I don't. The bottom line is that the self imposed penalties were harsher than, in all likelihood, the NCAA would have imposed, according to my source, who is not LK. My source did say a fellow OAC school blew the whistle on UMU. He would not tell me who it was. However, my first guess was JCU, and the look on his face told me I was right.

Dr. Acula

Thanks for the info, purple.  +k.  Lord knows what the NCAA considers secondary infractions for social media.  I probably don't even want to know.

Pat Coleman

Some rules have been changed going forward. However, there have been/were rules about following prospects, mentioning names of prospects/"signees" before a certain date. Secondary violations are relatively small, for sure -- someone else reporting them is not as good for the program as self-reporting.

I suspect the NCAA won't impose anything more than what has already been done, but that's why schools do it this way. Better a self-imposed punishment rather than something from the NCAA.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

57Johnnie

MUC57
Hang in there. Hope you don't run out of Milwaukee's Best.  :)
The older the violin - the sweeter the music!