2016 National Championship Contenders

Started by MidwestGrinder, May 09, 2016, 11:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shooter McGavin

Favorites
Rowan, Chicago, Amherst, Kenyon, St. Lawrence, Calvin, Trinity

Contenders
ONU, W&L, Fords, F&M, Lyco, Messiah, Brandeis, Loras, Oneonta, Middlebury, OWU, Mass-Boston, Plattsburgh, Montclair

Darkhorses
Carnegie Mellon, Scranton, Etown, Grove City, Wash U, CNU, Redlands, Rochester, Williams, Gordon, Cortland St

Mid-Atlantic Fan

Favorites: Chicago, Messiah, Rowan, Amherst, Trinity, Kenyon, Calvin, Ohio Northern

Can Make A Run: Newark, F&M, Fords, Mass-Boston, W&L, Loras, Oneonta St, Carthage

Too Much Hype?: Etown, CNU, CMU, Brandeis, Tufts, Colorado College, Lynchburg, Middlebury, Hopkins, Rochester

Not Enough Hype? Scranton, Vassar, Whitworth, Capital, Cortland St, Babson, Hobart, Wash U, Macalester, UW-Whitewater

Cinderella!: St. Joe's, St. Thomas, PSU Behrend, Springfield, Morrisville St

Bubble Watch: St. Lawrence, Ohio Wesleyan, Tufts, Williams, Montclair

phillyfan12

Quote from: Mid-Atlantic Fan on November 04, 2016, 08:47:05 AM
Favorites: Chicago, Messiah, Rowan, Amherst, Trinity, Kenyon, Calvin, Ohio Northern

Can Make A Run: Newark, F&M, Fords, Mass-Boston, W&L, Loras, Oneonta St, Carthage

Too Much Hype?: Etown, CNU, CMU, Brandeis, Tufts, Colorado College, Lynchburg, Middlebury, Hopkins, Rochester

Not Enough Hype? Scranton, Vassar, Whitworth, Capital, Cortland St, Babson, Hobart, Wash U, Macalester, UW-Whitewater

Don't know what to make of the Fords, E-town and Hopkins. I don't see too many quality wins for the Fords so think they may be a little over projected here. Same goes for E-town although taking Messiah to OT is positive as well as beating Scranton. Lastly, Hopkins record looks good but think their weak non-conference schedule is going to hurt them.

I guess we'll see if the Fords and Hopkins are legit this weekend because they'll both likely come up against F&M if the seeds hold in the semifinals.

Mid-Atlantic Fan

Quote from: phillyfan12 on November 04, 2016, 09:44:50 AM

Don't know what to make of the Fords, E-town and Hopkins. I don't see too many quality wins for the Fords so think they may be a little over projected here. Same goes for E-town although taking Messiah to OT is positive as well as beating Scranton. Lastly, Hopkins record looks good but think their weak non-conference schedule is going to hurt them.

I guess we'll see if the Fords and Hopkins are legit this weekend because they'll both likely come up against F&M if the seeds hold in the semifinals.

I am unsure of what you are disagreeing with then for Etown and JHU? Too much hype seems fitting based off your description and uncertainty for them don't you think???

It's hard to discredit Haverford or Oneonta St. or Loras as "making a run" since they all were Elite 8 or Final 4 teams a year ago. Come tournament time I tend to lean with experience and it usually pans out in my favor.

phillyfan12

Quote from: Mid-Atlantic Fan on November 04, 2016, 10:50:05 AM
Quote from: phillyfan12 on November 04, 2016, 09:44:50 AM

I am unsure of what you are disagreeing with then for Etown and JHU? Too much hype seems fitting based off your description and uncertainty for them don't you think???

It's hard to discredit Haverford or Oneonta St. or Loras as "making a run" since they all were Elite 8 or Final 4 teams a year ago. Come tournament time I tend to lean with experience and it usually pans out in my favor.

Apologies for the confusion, I was agreeing with the E-town and JHU assessment and saying I may add the Fords into that category based on no real quality wins. I was just including other Mid-Atlantic teams in a similar position. While they do have experience from last year, they certainly lost a ton of firepower that carried them on their run. Time will tell I guess!

Mid-Atlantic Fan

2016 Tournament Edition

Favorites
Chicago, Amherst, Rowan, Messiah, Newark, Trinity

Contenders
DePauw, Carthage, Tufts, Fords, UMass-Boston, Kenyon, Brandeis, Oneonta, Montclair, Calvin, Ohio Northern, Cortland, F&M, SLU/W&L winner

Darkhorse/Cinderella
Redlands, UWW, Luther, Whitworth, Springfield, Lynchburg/JC winner, Vassar, UR/Eastern winner, CNU, CMU/OWU winner, Morrisville, PSU-Behrend/Scranton winner 

lastguyoffthebench

Quote from: lastguyoffthebench on July 13, 2016, 12:16:15 PM
Oneonta St is getting stripped from the spine...  They lose, 6-7 starters;

Jake Sutherland   8G 4A
Dylan Williams     6G 3A
Cory Santangelo  7G 2A   RETURNING
Jared Van Brunt   6G 3A
Greg Silvestro      3G 9A
Hans Purtell         3G 6A  RETURNING
Zef Saljanin         4G 0A
Anthony Passiatore  3G   RETURNING

Lose Matteo in the back and Pellegrino between the pipes... I'll rescind my statement for them to win it this year.     

Leaning Calvin at the moment.  Looking forward to KICKIN or Puerto Espin preview of Loras.   Not sure what pieces they lose, but the Duhawks are always in the mix.

Things are aligning for SLU... could this be the year they reach the FINAL FOUR

All things NESCAC, it was Tufts turn then Amherst... what are the chances Middlebury goes deepest in the tournament this year?

South Atlantic looks to be wide open with the depth of the NJAC, resurgence of the ODAC, and CNU/Salisbury...

Messiah should be ready to come out of the Mid-Atlantic and push for the FINAL FOUR again.

A few random statements from July...   

Saint of Old

Quote from: lastguyoffthebench on November 28, 2016, 04:36:15 PM
Quote from: lastguyoffthebench on July 13, 2016, 12:16:15 PM
Oneonta St is getting stripped from the spine...  They lose, 6-7 starters;

Jake Sutherland   8G 4A
Dylan Williams     6G 3A
Cory Santangelo  7G 2A   RETURNING
Jared Van Brunt   6G 3A
Greg Silvestro      3G 9A
Hans Purtell         3G 6A  RETURNING
Zef Saljanin         4G 0A

Anthony Passiatore  3G   RETURNING

Lose Matteo in the back and Pellegrino between the pipes... I'll rescind my statement for them to win it this year.     

Leaning Calvin at the moment.  Looking forward to KICKIN or Puerto Espin preview of Loras.   Not sure what pieces they lose, but the Duhawks are always in the mix.

Things are aligning for SLU... could this be the year they reach the FINAL FOUR

All things NESCAC, it was Tufts turn then Amherst... what are the chances Middlebury goes deepest in the tournament this year?

South Atlantic looks to be wide open with the depth of the NJAC, resurgence of the ODAC, and CNU/Salisbury...

Messiah should be ready to come out of the Mid-Atlantic and push for the FINAL FOUR again.

A few random statements from July...
Brilliant.
I think the best part of this site is guys who have a deep knowledge of the game and D3 soccer.
There are many alums who once wore the shoes and have their fingers on the pulse of D3 soccer.

Looking forward to a great Final 4.

It is such a wonderful experience that these boyz will never ever forget.
The thing is they cannot enjoy it.
Even when they win, it will feel more like relief than accomplish... That is until they look back with great pride for being a part of a great history.

Mr.Right

Do we know what the facilities are like at this Final 4? Or the surface? etc

1970s NESCAC Player

Quote from: Mr.Right on November 29, 2016, 11:58:54 AM

There are pics of the Roanoke facility available on the school's Athletics website.  It is a field turf surface.

SandyMac

Quote from: 1970s NESCAC Player on November 29, 2016, 12:06:08 PM

There are pics of the Roanoke facility available on the school's Athletics website.  It is a field turf surface.

A national championship being contended on field turf is criminal.

jknezek

Quote from: SandyMac on November 29, 2016, 12:35:49 PM

I made this point when it was first selected, just like the Women's World Cup. That being said, the field is large, though I haven't found the exact dimensions it is also their lacrosse and field hockey field but not a football field since they don't offer it, and the field turf and lighting is very good. I'm not a huge fan of the stands, which can block a small part of the field depending on where you sit, but you are close to the action with no track surrounding the field. It's a good place to watch a game. Shame about the turf.

firstplaceloser

Quote from: SandyMac on November 29, 2016, 12:35:49 PM

i think turf provides teams with a perfect surface for soccer. you can't
blame the grass and it speeds the games up. i may just be a big believer in turf

firstplaceloser

unless there is a grass field that is flat and
not choppy. but that's very hard to find in december