MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank Mardukas

Hello Fellow Bloggers:
I just wanted to get everybody's prediction about how this season is going to end. I know many of you don't agree with my perception on the Cent, but please be respectful, I get enough $*** from my wife and my doctors. 

1. F&M: The reason why I believe F&M will beat Swat in the final game is the Dips backcourt. Fed and Tate know whats on the line and believe they will be bringing the regular season chip back to Lancaster and the Dip Zone will be rocking more than it was in 98.

2. John's Hopkins: I am putting them 2nd because I do think they will win out, but haven't been able to figure out this tie-break situation. All of these teams will have a win against each other and honestly I have no idea how this works so there 2.

3. Swat: After admitting I don't know how the tiebreak works, I put Swat in 3rd.

4. Dickinson: They are well coached and show some real signs of growth from the beginning of the year, but have no shot of winning the 4-5 game because of their opponent.

5. Mules: THE MULES ARE BACK AND BETTER THAN EVER. The only person who can stop Rindock is Ted Hinnenkamp and he's working at Morgan Stanley probably committing tax fraud (corporate greed). The Mules will lock up the 5th place even with all the injuries they have encountered. The Duke of Hazard is back and Coach Brown told me that Coach Hopkins told him that Duke is playing as well as Brandon Jones played back in 08 for Amherst. No word on Pete, probably a lost cause at this point.
And on the eighth day, God created the Centennial Conference

CCHoopster

Makes sense, thanks Pat!

Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 13, 2018, 12:12:53 PM
Quote from: CCHoopster on February 13, 2018, 09:42:00 AM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 12, 2018, 10:36:27 PM
Quote from: ronk on February 12, 2018, 10:35:13 PM
Quote from: CCHoopster on February 12, 2018, 09:45:04 PM
Quote from: njf1003 on February 01, 2018, 04:46:48 PM
Gburg's coach is retiring:
http://gettysburgsports.com/news/2018/2/1/petrie-to-retire-as-mens-basketball-mens-golf-coach.aspx

Truly a change in guard in the CC going on.

Anyone have any idea or hear rumors of who could be a fit here?

I'll start a rumor with the nomination of Nate Davis, currently the G-burg women's coach. He was formerly a collegiate golf coach, also, to fill that position, too.

I'll be happy to squash that rumor. :)

I am sure G'burg is going to go national with this search and I am sure it will be a very popular search.

A national search sounds good but not necessary IMO. Their rosters over the years are filled with student athletes from PA, MD, VA, NY and NJ. Sprinkle in an international player every few years and there it is. It's fairly similar across sports. I just don't think Gettysburg, AS TERRIFIC AND FANTASTIC the "Battlefield" is as an institution, pulls nationally (specifically athletics) as much as the likes of Haverford, Swat, FnM. I think a younger coach with head coaching experience from the area/region with Centennial experience (recruiting) would be ideal. I just don't think a "re tread" or assistant with no HC experience is the answer whether D1, 2 or 3. Youth and excitement.... someone who knows the MD, VA, PA, NJ, NY recruiting trail. Gettysburg as a town/area is not the most exciting and attractive place to live so pulling someone like Swat did from out of the area may not be as doable. The head coaching experience should be D3 too. As great of a hire as Swat made, he has already been looking for jobs to move on from. D1 guys get that in their blood- bouncing around. Hopkins coach was a D3 guy first at Stevens, same with Dickinson- they will be there 10 years minimum each and have both had success.

I don't know much with this stuff--- just some thoughts. Thanks for the dialogue Dave!

Nonetheless -- nobody does a "regional search." It's either hire from within, pick a hand-picked successor, or open up the position widely. That's what a national search is. It's not a declaration that the school thinks it's a national instutition.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

GoDiplomats

Any Dickinson fans on here have an idea of whats going on with Elijiah Wright? Haven't seen him all semester long. Is he still on the team, suspended, etc? Was hoping to see him against the Dips today but no show.

SB: Heres to hoping the Cent Playoffs isn't hosted at Hopkins. The venue sucks it feels like my grandmothers walk-in closet with things she hasn't worn since the 80's and probably doesn't even know is in there anymore. To say it gets cluttered is an understatement and parking near the arena is TERRIBLE!

nothingbutnet

Looks like it will come down to F&M-Swarthmore for hosting (I'm assuming that Hopkins takes care of business). Here's how I see it:

1. If F&M wins...F&M will host due to a 2-0 record against Swat (breaking the tie with Hopkins, who split)
2. If Swat wins...Swat will host because Ursinus can't finish behind Muhlenberg (Hopkins split with Ursinus, Swat swept the Bears, which breaks the tie. Both teams swept Dickinson)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like it can't be in Baltimore.

Corporal Hicks

Well well well.... its been too long but Corp. is back.  Been to my first mule game since the hip injury (damn wife didnt put salt down on the driveway i fell and damaged my hip.).  Nothing like getting back to the barn for a game with playoff implications.  What a game for maybe 4/7th of the game.  Williams got a lot of looks early and hit early which gave him confidence for the rest of the game.  Ursinus size overwhelmed the Mules who usually play 4 guards/wings around 1 big got exposed by the 2 big man offense of ursinus.  Overall was happy with the level of play I saw.  Some ridiculous talent on display with Williams, Rindock going back and forth making shots and assisting on plays then Mcleod/Baez vs Quattro/Stark.  Man that was fun to see.  As a Mule fan, Best of luck to Ursinus in the playoffs moving forward talk about a great team win.

Now on another hand..., what are we thinking for the all league teams/awards? I know there is still a game left but I think it is pretty wrapped up.

CCD3Basketball

Quote from: nothingbutnet on February 14, 2018, 10:00:00 PM
Looks like it will come down to F&M-Swarthmore for hosting (I'm assuming that Hopkins takes care of business). Here's how I see it:

1. If F&M wins...F&M will host due to a 2-0 record against Swat (breaking the tie with Hopkins, who split)
2. If Swat wins...Swat will host because Ursinus can't finish behind Muhlenberg (Hopkins split with Ursinus, Swat swept the Bears, which breaks the tie. Both teams swept Dickinson)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like it can't be in Baltimore.

This is correct. Winner of F&M/Swat tomorrow hosts the conference tournament and the loser slots in at either 2 or 3 depending on what JHU does against the Fords (not that 2 or 3 matters, unless someone is superstitious about jersey color, I suppose).
Broadcaster. Writer. Analyst. Fan. Voter. Centennial Conference focus, with an eye on D3 as a whole. D3 Basketball runs my life for over a quarter of the year and I have no problems with that. My wife feels differently about that last part.

D.B. Cooper

Why no video feed from from SWAT, many would like to see that critical scrum

BeRightOn

Swarthmore victorious in a gutty performance, a low-scoring 58-56. Outstanding rim protection by Swat; tenacious D from both sides. Yonda leads all scorers with 16.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: D.B. Cooper on February 17, 2018, 04:07:22 PM

I watched Swarthmore's video feed. It was pretty good, actually.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

sunny

Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 18, 2018, 01:33:18 AM

There's some weirdness with Stretch portal video players updating lately. If you get a "stream not available" error, try emptying your browser's cache.

ronk

Quote from: sunny on February 18, 2018, 07:23:40 AM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 18, 2018, 01:33:18 AM

There's some weirdness with Stretch portal video players updating lately. If you get a "stream not available" error, try emptying your browser's cache.

It happened Wednesday to me trying to watch Scranton and Susquehanna video;  switched to ROKU, instead.

BleedingGreen

Gentleman a disappointing end to the Mules season, can't really blame the players for not having enough energy down at McDaniel. Tough way to go out with back-to-back losses.  Hopefully the young core can learn from this and use it as motivation to come back better than ever. 

The senior class showed me something this year, especially given the new coach. They were put in a tough situation, but they made the most of it.  I remember hearing about this class and how good they were supposed to be, yet they never played in a playoff game and over half of the original recruiting class quit.  Has to be considered a disappointment as a class.  Moving forward, I hope Hopkins is able to recruit more guys like Mitton.  Grit & hustle goes a long way in this league and he demonstrated it.  He had a nice end of the season, as he played hard and well in a few games.  As an old school fan, I appreciate his willingness to put his body on the line.

I think the Mules are poised for a playoff run next year.  Returning Gnias and Werheim to go along with Hank's favorites of Morrealle (whose name is Mike, not Pete) and Spencer Duke should be interesting.  I wonder if any of the freshman from the end of the bench will make an impact next year, with big minute guys Rindock and McLeod moving on to the next level.  I'm hoping  Ryan Gaynor can develop a bit more and make a run at being an all-conference level player.  Swat and F&M and Ursinus lose some key pieces, and I think the Mules can replace their losses a little more.

Good luck to all those whose teams are still alive.  As usual, another great year in the great Cent.

noonhooper

Who we got in the game tonight?
Any thoughts on the F&M/JHU rubber match?

Who will be all-conference?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The NCAA men's basketball regional advisory committees released their third set of rankings, and as expected, the Atlantic Region was among those getting shuffled. Here's the full list: http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2018/02/men-regional-rankings-third

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.