BB: NCAC: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by woosterbooster, December 29, 2005, 03:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DenisonBigRed

Here's how I have the standings, after Wittenberg and OWU split a doubleheader. (Big win in late innings for Wittenberg in the second game.)

Wooster, 9-4, .692, plays two with Allegheny on Monday. Could make up game with Denison. Worst finish would be 9-7 or .563.

OWU, 11-5, .688.

Wabash, 9-5, .643, plays two at Kenyon on Monday. Worst finish would be 9-7 or .563.

Wittenberg, 9-5, .643, plays two with Hiram on Monday. Worst finish would be 9-7 or .563.

Denison, 8-7, .533, could play makeup with Wooster. Worst finish would be 8-8. Best finish would be 9-7 or .563.

That looks like the potential for a tie for fourth spot.

Denison press release yesterday said it would try to schedule a makeup with Wooster early this week.

I'm not sure how the tiebreakers work, but I assume they start with head-to-head match-ups:
   Denison lost series to Wabash.
   Denison split series with Wittenberg.

Dr. Acula

Here you go...

1. Head-to-Head Competition (NCAC play only).
2. Record versus opponents above the tied teams in the standings.
3. Record versus the teams below the tied teams in the standings in descending order.
4. Coin flip.

Should three or more teams be tied, the same procedure shall be followed until one team proves a better or worse record than the others. The process shall than be repeated until the field is complete.

forheavendial4999

Quote from: Dr. Acula on April 24, 2011, 08:13:26 PM
Here you go...

1. Head-to-Head Competition (NCAC play only).
2. Record versus opponents above the tied teams in the standings.
3. Record versus the teams below the tied teams in the standings in descending order.
4. Coin flip.

Should three or more teams be tied, the same procedure shall be followed until one team proves a better or worse record than the others. The process shall than be repeated until the field is complete.

So almost certainly, Wittenberg will also be 11-5.
OWU swept Allegheny, Hiram and Oberlin
Witt swept Allegheny, Kenyon and presumably Hiram.
So the tiebreak would come down to which of Oberlin and Kenyon finishes higher in the standings? Would that also be subject to tiebreak (that is, Oberlin swept Kenyon so would that tie, if it occurred, be broken in the Witt/OWU tiebreaker?)

Wooster swept Hiram, Oberlin and Kenyon so far. Obviously if they win their last 3, they're the top seed. A tiebreak could be bad for them though since it would mean either splitting with Allegheny or getting swept by Denison.

Wabash swept Denison and got swept by Allegheny. So if they sweep Kenyon to go to 11-5 and forge a probable 3-way and possible 4-way tie, they could win it by virtue of their sweep of Denison.

Allegheny could come up on the rail with the games they have left. If they win out, they would be guaranteed the 4 seed over Wooster.

Funny that Wooster controls its own destiny for 1st, but could also not even finish in the top 4.

The last two paragraphs is really all that matters, because this is a one-bid league this year.

DenisonBigRed

Yes, I neglected Allegheny. Looking at its schedule:

Allegheny, 5-6, .455, plays two with Wooster on Monday, has yet to play two against Hiram, one against Oberlin. Best finish would be 10-6, .625. And of course, it's another team with the potential to finish 9-7.

I don't see anything on Allegheny's schedule about the makeups with Hiram and Oberlin.

DenisonBigRed

I guess that's it for Allegheny and Denison. Rain has ended the season.

The NCAC site says:

QuoteThe field is set for this weekend's 2011 NCAC Baseball Tournament at VA Memorial Stadium in Chillicothe, Ohio. Due to extreme weather conditions throughout the region during the 2011 NCAC baseball season, not all teams were able to complete their regular season schedules.

Two-time defending NCAC champion Wooster (9-4, 19-12) has earned the No. 1 seed and will take on No. 4 seed Wittenberg (9-5, 20-16) on Thursday afternoon at 4:00 p.m., while No. 2 seed Ohio Wesleyan (11-5, 21-13) will play No. 3 seed Wabash (9-5, 18-20) at 8:00 p.m. on Thursday evening.

http://www2.northcoast.org/baseball/weeklyrelease/4-25-11

(By the way, have you noticed that if you Google NCAC baseball, it takes you to a site with only last year's stats: http://www.northcoast.org/ba/ba.html. Someone should be able to fix that.)

There is no joy in Granville.

Denison's year ends 16-20 (8-7), the first losing season and fewest wins for the Big Red since 2000 (way back in Craddock's first season).

April's record, 5-10.

This year's conference games followed this frustrating course: W-W-L-W-W-L-W-L-W-L-W-L-W-L-L. Mostly because of inconsistent pitching, perhaps.

The best hitter will return (Forgatch, now a junior). The seniors graduating include Krieger, who made big RBI contributions, and two of the better starting pitchers (Smith and McOsker).

Let's hope the young arms develop.

forheavendial4999

I'm sorry, that's trash. I feel bad for Allegheny, and for Wittenberg who almost certainly would have gotten 2 more wins.

I am hardly ever surprised by how unprofessional things are done in the NCAC, but this is really surprising.

What you get when you have the conference tournament like 3 weeks before you need to though. One bad idea begets another.

old scot

Quote from: forheavendial4999 on April 26, 2011, 12:42:53 AM
I'm sorry, that's trash. I feel bad for Allegheny, and for Wittenberg who almost certainly would have gotten 2 more wins.

I am hardly ever surprised by how unprofessional things are done in the NCAC, but this is really surprising.

What you get when you have the conference tournament like 3 weeks before you need to though. One bad idea begets another.

I think you mean Denison and Allegheny as Witt is one of the four teams in. I agree,  this is a terrible way to end the season. Maybe a scheduling conflict since the conference tourney is played at a neutral site? Since the NCAC has changed the coference play,( round robin vs the east -west division) maybe the first seeded team should host. At least this could extend the regular season if need be.

forheavendial4999

Quote from: old scot on April 26, 2011, 07:43:23 AM
Quote from: forheavendial4999 on April 26, 2011, 12:42:53 AM

I think you mean Denison and Allegheny as Witt is one of the four teams in. I agree,  this is a terrible way to end the season. Maybe a scheduling conflict since the conference tourney is played at a neutral site? Since the NCAC has changed the coference play,( round robin vs the east -west division) maybe the first seeded team should host. At least this could extend the regular season if need be.

Denison was very unlikely to make it anyway. Wittenberg could have been the 1 seed. I don't think Wooster would have gone 3-0 to finish.

The saving grace for Witt at least is that seeding means basically nothing in this tournament.

Bishopleftiesdad

I agree, I would have liked to see more of the games played. But it is what it is. Good luck to all the teams in the tournament.

How many teams schedule non conference games after the tournament? seems a shame to end your season so soon.

macdade77

The North Coast Athletic Conference tourney begins Thursday afternoon at Veterans Field in Chillicothe. Woo vs. Witt at 4:00 and OWU vs. Wabash at 8:00. This is the first time in awhile there is no clear cut favorite in the field!

Rolliedogg

Just wanted to express my thoughts on how the season ended.  Allegheny rescheduled its DH with Wooster for Monday at Mercyhurst College that has a turf field.  Wooster declined to play.  The reason given is that their players needed to go to class.  The real reason - if they would have lost both games to Allegheny they would not have qualified for the playoffs.  I do not understand how a school can refuse to play and be rewarded with a playoff spot.  Wooster should be ashamed.

woosterbooster

Quote from: macdade77 on April 23, 2011, 11:00:32 AM
forheaven,
It's a mystery why Pettorini pulled McDowell. He gave up a run in the 1st on a bloop single but got out of the inning with a double play. He walked the lead off man in the 2nd who advanced to 2b on a throwing error by the 3b. Pettorini came running out of the dugout and made the call. No effort to even talk to the kid. Several Wooster parents were very upset with the hook. It seemed like the coach was deliberately trying to embarrass his Senior pitcher. Anyone who knows Woo baseball  knows that Coach P's on field handling of players and situations leaves a lot to be desired. McDowell has always got stronger as the came goes on.He certainly deserved better than what he got from his coach on Friday. There is a growing feeling among the team that Coach P has thrown his upperclassmen under the bus in order to prepare for the future! 

You know, I was standing to the left of the Wooster dugout when this happened, which, by the way, was right after McDowell was slow off the mound to a bunt, which led to the throwing error.  There was a Wooster fan, and I suspect that it was Justin McDowell's father, who totally went off when his son was pulled.  Yelling, swearing.  Saying much what you've said here.  I wonder, are you his dad?  If so, not well played.

As to the actual reason why McDowell was pulled, I'm reminded of this exchange between former Baltimore Oriole pitcher Ross Grimsley and manager Earl Weaver:

Grimsley, storming into Weaver's office: "You're shafting me, you're shafting me!"
Weaver: "How am I doing that, Ross?"
Grimsley: "You're yanking me earlier than any of the other pitchers!"
Weaver: "Do you know why that is, Ross? It's 'cause I think they can get the next man out and I don't think you can."

By the say, Pettorini stuck with McDowell today.  He gave up five runs on seven hits in three innings.  Should he have stuck with him longer?

woosterbooster

Quote from: Rolliedogg on April 28, 2011, 12:44:59 PM
Just wanted to express my thoughts on how the season ended.  Allegheny rescheduled its DH with Wooster for Monday at Mercyhurst College that has a turf field.  Wooster declined to play.  The reason given is that their players needed to go to class.  The real reason - if they would have lost both games to Allegheny they would not have qualified for the playoffs.  I do not understand how a school can refuse to play and be rewarded with a playoff spot.  Wooster should be ashamed.

They should be, if this is the way it went down.  The Wooster Daily Record had it very differently.  I have no idea what the truth is, but I really would like to know.

old scot

What a come back for the Scot!!!!!! Down 10-1 after 4 1/2 and pull out a 17-13 win. Good stuff, keep the moo!!!!!!!!!!!

forheavendial4999

Quote from: Wooster Booster on April 28, 2011, 06:39:21 PM
Quote from: macdade77 on April 23, 2011, 11:00:32 AM
forheaven,
It's a mystery why Pettorini pulled McDowell. He gave up a run in the 1st on a bloop single but got out of the inning with a double play. He walked the lead off man in the 2nd who advanced to 2b on a throwing error by the 3b. Pettorini came running out of the dugout and made the call. No effort to even talk to the kid. Several Wooster parents were very upset with the hook. It seemed like the coach was deliberately trying to embarrass his Senior pitcher. Anyone who knows Woo baseball  knows that Coach P's on field handling of players and situations leaves a lot to be desired. McDowell has always got stronger as the came goes on.He certainly deserved better than what he got from his coach on Friday. There is a growing feeling among the team that Coach P has thrown his upperclassmen under the bus in order to prepare for the future! 
By the say, Pettorini stuck with McDowell today.  He gave up five runs on seven hits in three innings.  Should he have stuck with him longer?

Seeing the pitching line for the other guys, quite possibly. :)

So I guess the operable question might be what has happened to him. Did Pettorini use of him as a sophomore have a lasting effect? Or was that a mirage to begin with? Seems like he hasn't been the same since.