BB: OAC: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, January 09, 2006, 11:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Acula

I noticed on Mount's 2019 roster that Billy Goodall is back for a 5th year.  That's huge for them to be able to plug a player like that into CF and the 3 hole.  He will be chasing several Mount Union career records as well:

--He needs 15 SB to tie the record of 71 held by, ironically, former catcher Rick Mulinix.

--He needs 40 base hits to tie Greg Ferrell with 204 career hits.

--He is currently atop the career batting average list at .401 just ahead of Mulinix and Chris Tucker who both finished at .396.

Bottom line is that Goodall is set up to finish on the Mount Rushmore of Mount Union baseball.  Ferrell, Tucker and Goodall would be your all-time OF.  Pretty cool stuff.  I'm going to enjoy watching him one more spring.

Dr. Acula

We're getting close.  The OAC opens with BW at Ferrum on Friday. 

Pops33

So who is the favorite in the OAC this year?  BW and Otterbein appear to have a lot of talent returning.  Any besides those two or perennial contender Marietta going to make a run at the OAC title? 

Dr. Acula

Quote from: Pops33 on February 19, 2019, 01:49:35 PM
So who is the favorite in the OAC this year?  BW and Otterbein appear to have a lot of talent returning.  Any besides those two or perennial contender Marietta going to make a run at the OAC title?

I would say Otterbein, BW then ONU.  The OAC as usual will be a meat grinder again this year.  Etta is always tough.  Berg has a couple nice SP.  The lone layup in Wilm may not be for long with the long-time UD HC taking over there.  That'd make what seemed impossible, possible...the conference somehow becoming more competitive from top to bottom.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Dr. Acula on February 19, 2019, 03:27:38 PM

I would say Otterbein, BW then ONU.  The OAC as usual will be a meat grinder again this year.  Etta is always tough.  Berg has a couple nice SP.  The lone layup in Wilm may not be for long with the long-time UD HC taking over there.  That'd make what seemed impossible, possible...the conference somehow becoming more competitive from top to bottom.
You and I have talked before about the magic number of conference wins to earn the number 1 seed in the OAC..

How many will it be in 2019?

Thanks

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Dr. Acula on March 25, 2018, 10:16:00 PM
The OAC does a full round robin regular season with a single DH format.  The reason the math is important from day 1 is because only the top 4 teams (out of 10) make the conference tournament.  Leaving 6 teams out coupled with the way the OAC is typically aligned competitively often means there is very little difference between #4 and #5-7 or even #8.  There are ups and downs for most of the schools, but nearly every year the conference is a dog fight just to make the top 4.  The "math" not to oversimplify it is basically you need to sweep #9 and 10 and go .500 against everyone else.  11-7 nearly always lands you in the top 4.  So my point with JCU today was that most years Cap is in the bottom 1/3 so at WORST you have to split with them.  Likely you need to sweep them.  So you may be 2 games back of the top 4 out of the gate.  That's not a great spot.

Many years ago the regular season was just an 18 game corination for Etta, but those days are gone.  The conference is top to bottom much more competitive.  As a fan I can't complain about that!

Quote from: joelmama on May 07, 2018, 02:06:52 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 25, 2018, 11:34:35 PM
Thanks. Makes sense and I now have a metric to follow the season...  11-7.
No. 1 Otterbein (14-4), No. 2 Marietta (12-6), No. 3 Baldwin Wallace (11-7), No. 4 Ohio Northern (11-7)
Sounds like his advice was pretty accurate.   8-)

See above

Quote from: Dr. Acula on February 19, 2019, 03:27:38 PM

We have talked before about the magic number of conference wins to earn the number 1 seed in the OAC.

How many will it be in 2019?

Thanks

Dr. Acula

Last year it was 14-4.  My hunch is it's right around there again.  I just don't see anyone throwing up a 16-2 run.  There's too much depth and, frankly, I don't think anyone has 4 starters good enough.  If anything I think the chances are better it slides back to 13-5 as opposed to going the other direction.

Pops33

QuoteI would say Otterbein, BW then ONU.  The OAC as usual will be a meat grinder again this year.  Etta is always tough.  Berg has a couple nice SP.  The lone layup in Wilm may not be for long with the long-time UD HC taking over there.  That'd make what seemed impossible, possible...the conference somehow becoming more competitive from top to bottom.

Otterbein really underperformed in the post season while BW made some noise.  Each situation can provide its own motivation or momentum.  I think they are both probably locks to make the OAC tournament.   I look forward to seeing how ONU, Berg, Etta, Mount and JCU battle it out this year for the other 2 spots. 

Dr. Acula

The OAC is under way!  Still looking for a win 4 games in...

Berg drops their opener 3-1 to Anderson.  Adkins gave up 3 in the 1st then he and Sir Louis threw 7 shutout IP.

BW loses in 10 to Brockport 3-1 as well.  They're playing game 2 now.  Danny Cody was dominant (5 IP, 0 R, 2 H, 7 K).

Wilm gets shut out 6-0 by NCC.

Cap drops one 9-2 to Augie and trails Bates 6-3 now.

Dr. Acula

The DH that BW played with Brockport was at home.  In Cleveland.  In February.  Oh, the advantage of an all turf field!

Dr. Acula

Rough start for Cap.  They're 0-3 and have scored 7 runs total and about to drop to 0-4 as they're getting shutout in the 9th currently.  They might need to borrow some bats from JCU.  Streaks just hammered Allegheny to the tune of 40 runs in 3 wins. 

Dr. Acula

I always enjoy the way Etta schedules.  They wear that SOS like a badge of honor.  Anyone, anywhere. 

D3baseballparent

Yea, they cancelled 3 games in Indy due to weather and 2 days later have two game scheduled with top 10 teams

Dr. Acula

I just read Mount's preview.  They need Goodall and Mary to have 2017ish seasons.  It mentioned that 3 catchers will split time.  Hopefully one of them forces Hesse to play him everyday because it's like the old saying about having 2 QB's.  If you have 3 catchers...