NESCAC

Started by LaPaz, September 11, 2011, 05:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Right

Greenwood is on the shorter side(Think Jon Busch) and is very athletic and vocal like you have all said but his biggest and best qualities are his heart and toughness..He plays unafraid and with plenty of confidence. I enjoy watching him in net.

Mr.Right

I do not have a right answer for why some not all but some Nescac teams sleepwalk thru non-conference mid-week road games. Maybe they are over confident and feel like showing up will be enough. 2014 games that come to mind where Nescac teams "took the night off" Midd at Castleton St, Midd at Colby-Sawyer, Amherst at New England College and even Amherst at WNEC last year. RPI at Williams, Bates v Newbury at half was 0-0...I really have no idea other than the different type of games that they are...Less competitive because of the non-rivalry, turf games, night games,etc..The unfamiliar can bring out the worst in some..

NEPitch62

Mr Right, I think you hit the nail on the head with Greenwood's characteristics. Toughness and heart can certainly make up for shortfalls in "prototypical" keeper traits.  He's proved it time and time again.

Corazon

Quote from: Mr.Right on June 09, 2015, 09:12:42 PM
I do not have a right answer for why some not all but some Nescac teams sleepwalk thru non-conference mid-week road games. Maybe they are over confident and feel like showing up will be enough. 2014 games that come to mind where Nescac teams "took the night off" Midd at Castleton St, Midd at Colby-Sawyer, Amherst at New England College and even Amherst at WNEC last year. RPI at Williams, Bates v Newbury at half was 0-0...I really have no idea other than the different type of games that they are...Less competitive because of the non-rivalry, turf games, night games,etc..The unfamiliar can bring out the worst in some..

I don't know either, but I've heard Ivy League coaches make this same claim, that they don't do well in mid week non-conference road games. Perhaps it is the emphasis on academics more so than other conferences? 

By the way, I loved logging in and seeing a bunch of new comments on the NESCAC. Let's keep it going.

MENESCACFAN

I think there is certainly a midweek complacency in NESCAC teams on occasion.  When you are told you play for the most respected and powerful conference in the nation, it is inevitable a teenage kid may not look at out of conference games quite the same way all the time no?

Not to mention the classes.  There is a difference between playing on a weekend, and running straight from class to the locker room/bus for a game.

Jump4Joy

I truly do not believe the mid-week "thing" in NESCAC has anything to do with complacency and everything to do with academic pressure. Even more true at the traditionally more rigorous schools within the league. Not surprising to hear the same of some of the IVYs. Unless we've been there (and a few of us have), most of us don't realize how taxing it is on the body and mind to play soccer at some of these academically rigorous schools. It's amazing what these kids pulls off, really. (Ah: youth!) Especially those with high GPAs. Grueling.

PaulNewman

And midweek games for Swat, Haverford, Hopkins, F&M, Dickinson, Muhlenberg, Carleton, Macalester, Oberlin, Kenyon, DePauw, Denison, Vassar, RPI, Skidmore, Union, SLU, Hobart, Centre, WPI, MIT, Babson, Wheaton (MA), Wheaton (Ill), Sewanee, etc, etc, etc?  All 8 of the UAA schools?

oldonionbag

Quote from: Mr.Right on June 09, 2015, 09:02:22 PM
Greenwood is on the shorter side(Think Jon Busch) and is very athletic and vocal like you have all said but his biggest and best qualities are his heart and toughness..He plays unafraid and with plenty of confidence. I enjoy watching him in net.

To me, the word that comes to mind is inspiring. Watching him this past season, what stuck out was his ability to rally the troops. I'm sure we all remember that one kid we played with who could get you up for a game no matter what. If you were down, he told you you were going to pull it out. If you were up, he gave you confidence that you'd see it through. Though it's certainly an intangible, it's a HUGE part of why I believe he is a great keeper.

Brother Flounder

Quote from: oldonionbag on June 11, 2015, 10:18:07 AM
Quote from: Mr.Right on June 09, 2015, 09:02:22 PM

To me, the word that comes to mind is inspiring. Watching him this past season, what stuck out was his ability to rally the troops. I'm sure we all remember that one kid we played with who could get you up for a game no matter what. If you were down, he told you you were going to pull it out. If you were up, he gave you confidence that you'd see it through. Though it's certainly an intangible, it's a HUGE part of why I believe he is a great keeper.

Bag, seeing Tufts, what are your thoughts on some players and the upcoming season?

NESCACsoccerguy

Quote from: Mr.Right on June 07, 2015, 11:36:29 PM

Midd and Bates get an F...Midd drops Southern Vt for Green Mountain..This is just so BAD and this is your Top team in Nescac for some of these posters..Give me a break.

Bates well is just not even worth talking about...Flaherty likes to pad a couple wins to his resume to give the clueless AD a reason to keep him.

There are some Bates Haters on this website, I think we should shorten the name to Baters. Mr. Right, you are definitely the Master Hater!

Bates keeps the same exact schedule that they went .500 in last year - and the same schedule that Bennett Rank had #1 in the country for SOS. That said - I think Bennett Rank overrates the NESCAC and that contributed to the ranking. Bates finishing with twice as many losses as wins and in the top 100 by Bennett Rank is questionable.

Middlebury wasn't dominant out of conference last year either as they lost a game and drew a game. Wesleyan lost a game and drew two out of conference.. NESCAC schools combined for 11 non conference losses I believe, so is keeping the same/similar schedules that bad? If the out of conference games for 2014 were too easy (given that you say 2015 is and 2014 was similar) shouldn't the NESCAC schools have only a handful of losses and draws in those games? I know the argument is that kids don't get up for midweek games, but it's not as though other schools skip class Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday in preparation for a Wednesday night game.

All NESCAC

Quote from: NESCACsoccerguy on June 11, 2015, 07:43:44 PM
Quote from: Mr.Right on June 07, 2015, 11:36:29 PM

Midd and Bates get an F...Midd drops Southern Vt for Green Mountain..This is just so BAD and this is your Top team in Nescac for some of these posters..Give me a break.

Bates well is just not even worth talking about...Flaherty likes to pad a couple wins to his resume to give the clueless AD a reason to keep him.

There are some Bates Haters on this website, I think we should shorten the name to Baters. Mr. Right, you are definitely the Master Hater!

Bates keeps the same exact schedule that they went .500 in last year - and the same schedule that Bennett Rank had #1 in the country for SOS. That said - I think Bennett Rank overrates the NESCAC and that contributed to the ranking. Bates finishing with twice as many losses as wins and in the top 100 by Bennett Rank is questionable.

Middlebury wasn't dominant out of conference last year either as they lost a game and drew a game. Wesleyan lost a game and drew two out of conference.. NESCAC schools combined for 11 non conference losses I believe, so is keeping the same/similar schedules that bad? If the out of conference games for 2014 were too easy (given that you say 2015 is and 2014 was similar) shouldn't the NESCAC schools have only a handful of losses and draws in those games? I know the argument is that kids don't get up for midweek games, but it's not as though other schools skip class Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday in preparation for a Wednesday night game.

The 2014 season was much more "rocky" out-of-conference for the NESCAC teams then the previous 5 years as they did lose 11 non-conference games, where in the previous years that number would be cut in half.  Let's see how the 2015 season plays out.  My guess is that the NESCAC returns to form back to only 5 non-conference losses.  No doubt there are some real cupcakes scheduled for non-conference by some given regional proximity, yet given that all 10 Conference games are brutal battles which typically could go either way scheduling more than 2 tough out of conference games is a very dangerous line to cross if you're a NESCAC team....especially one which could be a "bubble" team for an NCAA bid....better to win all your non-conference games than lose one or two to other similar good non conference foes.  yes if you win its a big boost, but if you lose then you won't have a chance because the League Schedule will butcher up almost all the teams.

NESCACsoccerguy

Good points, and well said.

Interesting game last night where four NESCAC players were in action - Boston Rams v Western Mass Pioneers. Rashid and Greenwood started for Rams, while Pascual-Leone started for the Pioneers and Grady played 26 minutes off the bench. Greenwood kept the clean sheet, making five saves, and Rashid scored and got four shots away in his 62 minutes of action. Indicator that he is back healthy and in form?

First win of the season for Greenwood, Rashid and the Rams. Western Mass I thought looked very weak and I would be surprised if they won a game again this season. They are really missing Junior Alencar - a striker who scored 19 goals in 17 games in 2013 for them and 14 goals in eight games last season. Not sure what he is doing now. I'd be stunned if Western Mass as a team scored 14 this entire season.

Last weekend, Bates' Peabo Knoth (playing for Portland) scored the winner in stoppage time against the Rams in a 1-0 win. For the Rams, Greenwood did not play and Rashid played 29 minutes off the bench. Bates' Noah Riskind played five minutes off the bench for Portland.

Seacoast (no NESCAC players) should win the division. Portland (Knoth, Riskind, Sean Moyo - Bates) should be second. Connecticut (no NESCAC players) should be third. Rams (Rashid, Greenwood) fourth. Pioneers (NPL, Grady) a distant fifth.

Nutmeg

Quote from: NESCACsoccerguy on June 12, 2015, 11:24:33 AM
Good points, and well said.

Interesting game last night where four NESCAC players were in action - Boston Rams v Western Mass Pioneers. Rashid and Greenwood started for Rams, while Pascual-Leone started for the Pioneers and Grady played 26 minutes off the bench. Greenwood kept the clean sheet, making five saves, and Rashid scored and got four shots away in his 62 minutes of action. Indicator that he is back healthy and in form?

First win of the season for Greenwood, Rashid and the Rams. Western Mass I thought looked very weak and I would be surprised if they won a game again this season. They are really missing Junior Alencar - a striker who scored 19 goals in 17 games in 2013 for them and 14 goals in eight games last season. Not sure what he is doing now. I'd be stunned if Western Mass as a team scored 14 this entire season.

Last weekend, Bates' Peabo Knoth (playing for Portland) scored the winner in stoppage time against the Rams in a 1-0 win. For the Rams, Greenwood did not play and Rashid played 29 minutes off the bench. Bates' Noah Riskind played five minutes off the bench for Portland.

Seacoast (no NESCAC players) should win the division. Portland (Knoth, Riskind, Sean Moyo - Bates) should be second. Connecticut (no NESCAC players) should be third. Rams (Rashid, Greenwood) fourth. Pioneers (NPL, Grady) a distant fifth.

I believe the Rams coach is the old Tufts assistant coach and a few other Tufts players could have played but had other commitments and out of town internships...

FourMoreYears

Quote from: Mr.Right on May 11, 2015, 08:14:57 PM
Nescac rumblings:

1. .... Cody Savonen--.....  He gets in serious trouble for the 2nd time this year and gets tossed from Trinity. He cost his team a couple games this fall by getting suspended for a drinking fiasco and now this. Maybe he just needs to mature a bit but this puts a serious damper in Trinity's 2015 prospects even if there was not much there to begin with. If they get more than 2 league wins this season I will be shocked.

Hot off the presses.
Savonen back at Trinity this fall.
All sources indicate that there was no second offense, just a very bad first one.
When this was originally posted, I believed the statement "tossed from Trinity" was incorrect for fall 2015.
He was not on campus this past spring, but will return in the fall.

No judgment either way, just information.

MENESCACFAN

FourMore, I had heard Savonen has transferred to UNH for the fall.  Guess we will find out in a month or so!

Also heard Tufts have transferred in a forward from Boston University.