BB: Regionals (Mideast) 2012 Marietta

Started by Ralph Turner, April 29, 2012, 07:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjfcards

Quote from: mideastfan2 on May 17, 2012, 06:53:32 PM
Marietta falls to SJFC 5-2.  Beaumont threw a great game for SJF, and MC once again got off to a terrible start.

With the 8-team format, MArietta will have a lot of work to do the rest of this tournament.  THey must win 5 in a row to return to Appleton.  The good news is that they have deep pitching, and Blaksi and Gasser should be available for this weekend, if they can get there.

SJFC is a solid baseball team.  Not sure if they have much pitching beyond their top 2, but those 2 are very good.  It will be interesting to see if they can keep the momentum going tomorrow against the Adrian/Manchester winner.  They celebrated this win like it was the regional title...and it very well could be.  But there is still a lot of tournament left to play.  Congrats to SJFC on a huge win for their program!

I didn't get to follow a lot of the game today but from what I saw and have seen, it looks like Beaumont thre well. Johnson will probably pitch tomorrow for Fisher. He is a solid arm, but I would not put him with the either starter you have seen so far. When he is good, he can be very good however.

Today was probably the biggest win in Program history for Fisher. Hopefully they can back it up tomorrow. After that you may see D'Amato and Beaumont again on short rest. Not sure if Coach Potter will do it (haven't seen it yet) but it is Fisher's best chance of closing the door. The real good news is the bullpen is rested after today if Johnson has some trouble tomorrow.

This was a huge win for Fisher but I agree there is a lot of baseball yet to be played. I would like to see Marietta again, although I may regret saying that later.
GO FISHER!!!

mideastfan2

Manchester is taking it to Adrian...looks like the top 3 seeds are going to be playing for their season tomorrow in the loser's bracket. 

Regionals are always entertaining to say the least!

Dr. Acula

Yeah, it looks like SJF will find out about their pitching depth against Manchester who put up another 13 spot against Adrian last night.  Manchester definitely seems to have the sticks going right now. 

mideastfan2

the Pioneers have brought out the bats today, and they'll need them for the next few days.

they lead W&J 5-1 heading to the bottom of the 3rd....tons of baserunners already.  they need to break it open, so they can save pitching for the upcoming posibility of 3 more games in the next 2 days...before getting Blaski back.

Dr. Acula

I didn't realize Manchester went into the HCAC tourney at 22-18 and as the 4 seed beating out Transy on a tie-breaker.  Baseball is such a funny game.  Barely make your conference tourney and less than 2 weeks later you're 2-0 in the regional.  That's why it's a great game though.  And why even making it to Appleton is such a huge accomplishment. 

EttaFan1

Marietta got a much needed complete game from Mike Mulvey today in their 9-5 win.  They swung the bats really well.

Adrian and La Roche played a nail bighter, and a surprising pitchers' duel.  It was 1-0 for the longest time before Adrian put up a couple of insurnace runs in the 7th.  La Roche answered with a couple of runs in the 8th to make it 3-2.  La Roche was able to get a 1 out base runner, who was thrown out at second trying to steal (hit and run and the batter missed badly). 

Adrian and Marietta in the night cap.  #4 pitchers against each other.

I'm interested to see the Manchester vs. Fisher game here in a bit.  Both teams can swing it.  I'm curious to see who comes out on top.

mideastfan2

Looks like SJFC is running out of pitching, as Manchester just put up a 7 spot int the top of the 7th to take 9-5 lead, mostly with 2 outs.

Dr. Acula

Interesting that Lindquist started and has pitched into the 7th.  Has he started in the past much Etta guys?

mideastfan2

^^^  He came to Marietta as a pitcher/middle infielder.  He's one of those "gamer" types; kind of a bulldog on the mound.  He started 3 games as a sophomore, and then was handed the closer role last year because it was where he could be most effective.  That's what happens when you have 3 All-Americans in your starting rotation. 

He's always been more than a 1-inning guy, and able to go multiple innings in relief.  I wouldn't be surprised if as a Senior, he asked to get the start, and told Brewer he could go the distance to save some pitching.

Looks like tomorrow, MArietta will still have Maheffy, Lewis, and Langdon on full rest; and Blaski available on short rest.  As long as the bats show up like today, they have a good chance of extending their season!

sjfcards

Tough loss for Fisher today. I can't believe they are going to let Freshman George Weber start with the season and a trip to the world series on the line. So it is probably D'Amato on short rest. Going to be tough to win three in a row now.

Still should be fun to see how they try to piece it together. If they can survive tomorrow then anything can happen.
GO FISHER!!!

motorman

Quote from: mideastfan2 on May 18, 2012, 10:19:36 PM
^^^  He came to Marietta as a pitcher/middle infielder.  He's one of those "gamer" types; kind of a bulldog on the mound.  He started 3 games as a sophomore, and then was handed the closer role last year because it was where he could be most effective.  That's what happens when you have 3 All-Americans in your starting rotation. 

He's always been more than a 1-inning guy, and able to go multiple innings in relief.  I wouldn't be surprised if as a Senior, he asked to get the start, and told Brewer he could go the distance to save some pitching.

Looks like tomorrow, MArietta will still have Maheffy, Lewis, and Langdon on full rest; and Blaski available on short rest.  As long as the bats show up like today, they have a good chance of extending their season!

I think starting Lindquist is a telling comment on the lack of confidence Brewer had in Mahaffey. He has been the weak spot in Marietta's rotation this year. He was effective as the #3 last year but has an era over 4 this year. They are learning this is a lot tougher game when you end up in the losers bracket and have to use more than 3 pitchers and a closer.

mideastfan2

Quote from: motorman on May 18, 2012, 10:39:51 PM
Quote from: mideastfan2 on May 18, 2012, 10:19:36 PM

I think starting Lindquist is a telling comment on the lack of confidence Brewer had in Mahaffey. He has been the weak spot in Marietta's rotation this year. He was effective as the #3 last year but has an era over 4 this year. They are learning this is a lot tougher game when you end up in the losers bracket and have to use more than 3 pitchers and a closer.

Maheffey was the #4 starter last year behind all-Americans gasser, Blaski, and Williams.  This year he has trailed off since about the midpoint of the season, and is once again the #4 behind Blaski, gasser, and now Mulvey.

Not sure who will start tomorrow (Maheffey, Lewis, or Langdon), but i'm sure all will see action.  regardless, the team that brings the bats will advance to the championship round vs Manchester.

mideastfan2

If the Etta Express are going to use Blaski today, don't be surprised if he starts game one against SJFC. They need to win the first to get to the second.

I've always thought in an elimination game situation, you have to pitch your best available. That's why lindquist threw last night.

sjfcards

I feel the same way about Fisher and if they use D'Amato. We will see.

Win or lose, thanks to all of the Marietta fans, and everyone else, for making this a fun week for a Fisher fan. Great hosts, and from what I hear everyone at the regional feels the same way. Great stuff!
GO FISHER!!!

sjfcards

So much for my theory on starting D'Amato. Pettinella starting for Fisher and I can honestly say I have no idea about this kid. First I have seen him.
GO FISHER!!!