Started by Knightstalker, December 30, 2005, 11:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Dixon

Of interest to NJAC fans

ORANGE, Calif. -  Chapman University Athletics will partner with
student-run Chapman Radio to broadcast six Chapman baseball games
beginning this Saturday, March 10 when the Panthers host No. 15-ranked
Kean University (N.J.) at 7 p.m. Games can be found exclusively online
at www.chapmanradio.com <http://www.chapmanradio.com/> .

The "Game of the Week" format will continue with five additional
broadcast dates, including games against No. 3 Montclair State (N.J.) on
March 17, Wesleyan (Conn.) on March 24 and West Region rivals La Verne,
Willamette (Ore.) and George Fox (Ore.). A complete list of games can be
found on Chapman's website:
www.chapman.edu/athletics/men/baseball/schedule.asp.

BigPoppa

Chapman 14
Kean 2

Chapman's Devin Drag moves to 6-0 on the 2007 season.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Paul Heering

pathetically I was at work from 10 pm til midnight on a saturday night, i listened to most of the game, through the first six innings it was a much closer game than the final.

Game Recap
Close early, Chapman up due to 3 run HR in the first
Kean got a few hits and chances off of drag, two bases loaded situations = 0 runs
Once Chapman got into the Kean bullpen the floodgates opened.

Lefty

Monday, March 19, 2007 (Baseball)

NJCU'S ROB SUMNER NAMED NJAC AND NJCBA PLAYER OF THE WEEK

JERSEY CITY, NJ...New Jersey City University junior centerfielder ROB SUMNER (Union, NJ/Union) had a remarkable, record-setting week for the Gothic Knights, and after batting .560 (14-25) with 14 RBIs, 10 runs, five homeruns and four doubles in six games, he has been named the New Jersey Athletic Conference Player of the Week for Week 4 of the 2007 season and the New Jersey Collegiate Baseball Association Division II/III Player of the Week.

For Sumner, who was named First-Team All-NJAC and Second-Team All-Region in 2006, it is the first time in his career that he has been selected the NJAC Player of the Week. It is the second time he has garnered NJCBA Player of the Week accolades, last receiving the distinction on March 14, 2006.

Sumner's award marks the second consecutive week that an NJCU outfielder has won both awards after teammate ANTHONY MACKOW (Bayonne, NJ/Bayonne) was honored on March 12. It is the first time in the history of the baseball program that the Gothic Knights have received the NJAC and NJCBA Player of the Week distinction in consecutive weeks.

Additionally, it is the first time since the 1999 season that NJCU has received the NJAC Player of the Week twice in the same season (Mark Pappas, Rick Pizzuti). It is also the first time the Knights have ever received the state Player of the Week award from the NJCBA twice in one season.

Sumner, NJCU's leadoff hitter, posted a .621 on-base percentage and a 1.320 slugging percentage at the Gene Cusic Collegiate Classic in Fort Myers, FL last week, and extended his hitting streak to 13 games dating back to last season.

He entered the week with four homeruns in two years, yet set NJCU records for homeruns in a week (5) and doubleheader (4), while also blasting a single-game school record three homeruns. He became the third player in NJCU history to score 100 career runs (107), and upped his career batting average to .409 and on-base percentage to .504. He also was 3-for-4 in steals and walked four times, while fielding at a 1.000 rate. He led off two games with homeruns.

He opened NJCU's 3-3 week, by going 2-for-4 with three RBIs, a double and a steal in the Knights' 8-2 win over the University of Scranton on March 12. He was 2-for-4 with a run, steal and one RBI in a 10-7 loss to Haverford College on March 13.

In a doubleheader with Illinois College on March 14, he was 1-for-3 with a double, one run and a steal in a 5-2 loss in game one. In led off game two of the twinbill with a homer, finishing 4-for-4 with three runs, two RBIs and a double in the Knights 6-3 victory.

On March 15 in a 21-17 loss to Suffolk University, he led off his second consecutive game with a homerun, finishing 1-for-5 with a run and RBI.

In a 14-7 win over Finlandia University on March 15, Sumner set a single-game school record when he launched three homeruns, going 4-for-5 with seven RBIs, four runs and a double.

Through 10 games this season, Sumner is batting .541 (20-37) with 16 runs, five doubles, five homeruns, one triple and 15 RBIs. He has walked eight times and struck out on only three occasions, while stealing six bases in nine opportunities. He owns an astounding .622 on-base percentage, and a 1.135 slugging rate, with 42 total bases. He is also a perfect 17-for-17 defensively.

—www.njcugothicknights.com—

IRA P. THOR
Director of Sports Information
New Jersey City University

NECVA Conference Sports Information Director

2039 Kennedy Boulevard
Athletics and Fitness Center 206
Jersey City, NJ 07305-1597
www.njcugothicknights.com
Knight Line: 201/200.2222

ithor@njcu.edu

O: 201/200.3301     
F: 201/200.2365     
C: 973/420.8466

Jim Dixon

Center fielder Rob Sumner of New Jersey City University and righthander
Jake Dennstedt of the State University of New York-Brockport have been
named the NCAA Division III National Hitter of the Week and Pitcher of
the Week for March 12-18, 2007, as chosen by representatives of the
National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association.

Sumner, a junior from Union, New Jersey, batted .560 (14-25) with 14
RBIs, 10 runs, five home runs and four doubles, while posting a .621
on-base percentage and a 1.320 slugging percentage. He also was 3-for-4
in steals and walked four times, while fielding at a 1.000 rate. He
extended his hitting streak to 13 games dating back to last season. He
opened NJCU's 3-3 week at the Gene Cusic Collegiate Classic in Fort
Myers, FL, by going 2-for-4 with three RBIs, a double and a steal in the
Knights' 8-2 win over Scranton.  He was 2-for-4 with a run, steal and
one RBI in a 10-7 loss to Haverford College.  In a doubleheader with
Illinois College, he was 1-for-3 with a double and one run and a steal
in a 5-2 loss in game one. He led off game two of the twinbill with a
homer, finishing 4-for-4 with three runs, two RBIs and a double in the
Knights' 6-3 victory.  In a 21-17 loss to Suffolk, he led off his second
consecutive game with a home run.  In a 14-7 win over Finlandia on March
15, he set a single-game school record when he launched three home runs,
going 4-for-5 with seven RBIs, four runs and a double.  Sumner earned
both New Jersey Athletic Conference and New Jersey Collegiate Baseball
Association Division II/III Player of the Week honors.

Lefty

In a battle of NJAC heavyweights......Montclair St. defeated Kean 2-1 in 10 innings today.

phil

In a battle of NJAC heavyweights......TCNJ defeated William Paterson 7-6 today.

Lefty

Phil....it's going to be interesting to see how this year plays out in the NJAC.  We know Kean, Montclair, TCNJ, and Paterson should be solid again but Ramapo and Stockton both have nice records in early season play.  I don't think Ramapo and Stockton played the type of early season schedule like Montclair and TCNJ played.  It should be another great battle this year!

phil

...they didn't. Not even close.

The frustrating thing is that i won't catch a single NJAC game since I'm residing in Texas now. Usually I'm good for a couple games at Yogi Berra Stadium, Kean and as many TCNJ games as I can. Now I'm just a stat hound!

...but I did get to watch Rutgers football at the Texas Bowl back in December!

Lefty

Phil....I live in Baltimore so it will be tough for me too!  I hope to catch the NJCU at Rowan doubleheader later in the year.  I do get up in the NJ area from time to time and hope to see a few other games.

I made the trip to Houston for the Texas Bowl....what a great city! 

Lefty

There are two great match-ups in the NJAC today.  Kean (#7 in the nation) at The College of New Jersey (# 13 in the nation) and Montclair St at Rowan...both are doubleheaders. 

Lefty

Kean defeated TCNJ 7-0 in game one.  Joe Augustine through a complete game three hit shutout striking out seven and walking two.  That is one heck of a pitching performance against one of the better hitting teams in the NJAC.

Lefty

Kean swept TCNJ today winning the nightcap 4-2.  Kean pitching was outstanding today holding TCNJ hitters to just 10-61 (.164).  TCNJ’s Haran and Bullis were just 3-16 (.188). 

Kean was led by their leadoff hitter Maikel De La Rosa who went 4-9 (.444) with two runs scored and two RBI’s in today’s doubleheader.  Kean improves to 11-3 (2-1 NJAC) and TCNJ drops to 11-6 (1-2 NJAC).

Spence

And they didn't throw Zeffiro in the second game...wow...I had a feeling Kean might be pretty good this year, this just confirms it...and it seems like TCNJ has been struggling a bit.

Lefty

Besides the games above, here are the remaining finals in the NJAC for today:

Rowan 8, Montclair State 6
Montclair State 9, Rowan 1

William Paterson 13, NJCU 7
NJCU 14, William Paterson 6

Ramapo 12, Rutgers-Camden 2
Ramapo 11, Rutgers-Camden 3

Rutgers-Newark 14, Richard Stockton 2
Richard Stockton 4, Rutgers-Newark 2

Ramapo stays on top of the Conference with a 4-0 record, 17-4 overall.

I have a feeling this is going to be an interesting season in the NJAC.  Early in the season some of the usual league heavyweights are getting knocked off.  Example....NJCU beats Paterson today.