D3 Top 25 Fan Poll

Started by usee, October 20, 2010, 04:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

Wheaton has come back from a 24-7 halftime deficit to lead 31-24.

With all the talk of SJF being horribly under-ranked, it will be interesting to see if they are ranked at all this week. ;)

bleedpurple

Wheaton wins it! Very nice comeback!  It will be really interesting to see the Fan Poll this week. A few teams may be really testing the patience of the pollsters. 

HSCTiger74

Quote from: bleedpurple on October 23, 2010, 09:22:31 PM
Quote from: altor on October 22, 2010, 09:17:25 PM
Quote from: Upstate on October 22, 2010, 08:34:13 PM
Fisher at 6???

WOW
Peter Wolfe has SJF at #2 in D-III.
Dave Rothman has them at #5.
Massey has them at 7.
My computer (which only takes results between two D-III's into account) has them at 3.

There's something the computers see there that not many humans do.

Peter Wolfe's poll:

1 Hampden-Sydney           III        7  0   243  131    0.979   xx
    2 St John Fisher           III        7  0   302  121    0.849   xx
    3 Wesley                   III        7  0   321   82    0.821   xx
    4 Wheaton                  III        6  0   237   90    0.818   xx
    5 St Thomas                III        7  0   315   91    0.783   xx
    6 Wartburg                 III        6  0   181   48    0.756   xx
    7 Mary Hardin-Baylor       III        6  0   223  157    0.733   xx
    8 North Central            III        6  0   228   51    0.730   xx
    9 Mount Union              III        6  0   247   56    0.705   xx
   10 DePauw                   III        6  0   201   97    0.635   xx

Whatever his computer "sees", is a mirage, a hallucination, or a bad dream. Is it inappropriate of me to be thankful he's not part of our D3 Top 25 Fan Poll?  ;D

I'm as loyal an alum as the next guy but even I know that poll's ridiculous.
TANSTAAFL

Pat Coleman

Remember that the BCS neuters the computer rankings by making them eliminate all vestiges of margin of victory. HSC had a fair number of close wins early on.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

sflzman

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on October 23, 2010, 10:11:46 PM
Wheaton has come back from a 24-7 halftime deficit to lead 31-24.

With all the talk of SJF being horribly under-ranked, it will be interesting to see if they are ranked at all this week. ;)

I wasn't sure about SJF to begin with, I didn't have them in my top 25 going into this weekend....

Wheaton on the other hand was in my top 15...
Be not afraid of greatness - Shakespeare

smedindy

Quote from: HScoach on October 23, 2010, 05:36:51 PM
After Witt needed a missed FG by Carnegie-Mellon to just make it to overtime, I'm thinking 70's non-ranking of Wittenberg is spot on.

Cue Herm Edwards...

"YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!" Hello!

CMU isn't a cupcake, and sometimes the non-conference non-rivalry road games are the toughest to get up for.

Pat Coleman

If it were just one game like that I would be willing to chalk it up to that.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

02 Warhawk

MHB seems to be hanging on by a thread all season long...they are going to fall sooner or later. they don't seem as strong as years in the past.

So much for those who ranked SJF in the top 10  ;).

smedindy

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 24, 2010, 06:41:23 PM

(I can't believe I'm defending Wittenberg....)

Fact is they've won, and they won those nail-biters on the road. Other teams probably would have folded up. Survive and advance. And other cliches...

K-Mack

Quote from: bleedpurple on October 21, 2010, 09:28:04 PM
Quote from: K-Mack on October 21, 2010, 09:05:10 PM
Quote from: seventiesraider on October 21, 2010, 07:37:04 PM
I have to admit it was a time consuming and interesting exercise.

I spend about 30 minutes a week on mine, unless it's a fairly straightforward nobody good played each other and/or lost week.

Keith,

I'm sure the familiarity and knowledge base you have built up, being sure of the criteria you have developed in ranking, and staying current through all the work you have put in allows for great efficiency in putting together your poll.

I have a couple question for you. How much time do you put in mining "below the surface"? In other words, how much time do you look at numbers 26-40 (or whatever number is applicable)? Also, for your personal records, do you actually rank below the top 25 for your personal records? I would think it would be helpful to continue to deepen your analysis a bit in case Saturday is one of those "any given Saturdays".

Sorry I didnt answer this right away, but if it means anything, I remembered you asking while putting together my vote this week.

I always go past 25. I used to do a item in ATN called My 26-35, but it never really held at 35. Now I don't necessarily go that far, 28 some weeks, 32 other weeks, 37 other weeks. This year, I've just been going until I don't think there are any more teams I'd consider for top 25.

But yes, it definitely helps in figuring out which teams to move in the next week when teams play their way out.

Also I vote in the Lambert poll now, so having to go at least 10 East teams deep usually forces me to go beyond 25, which is good.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

Quote from: smedindy on October 25, 2010, 12:43:38 AM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 24, 2010, 06:41:23 PM

(I can't believe I'm defending Wittenberg....)

Fact is they've won, and they won those nail-biters on the road. Other teams probably would have folded up. Survive and advance. And other cliches...

That's all well and good when you're comparing Wittenberg to teams that are not winning. But when I'm staring at an 8-0 Wittenberg with three nail-biters and the No. 222 SoS and, say, 7-1 Delaware Valley ... well "fact is they've won" doesn't paint the full portrait.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

Quote from: seventiesraider on October 22, 2010, 10:21:59 PMAnd anyway, isn't that why we have polls, to accommodate different viewpoints and biases? It is my personal feeling that Wittenberg is the most consistently over ranked team in D3.

Yes.

And

W&J
St. John's
Wabash

Rowan was for a while, but now they're actually underranked.

Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

K-Mack

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 23, 2010, 12:10:00 AM
Fisher at 6???

WOW
Massey has them at 7.
My computer (which only takes results between two D-III's into account) has them at 3.

Keith has them at 7, we learned in the podcast this week.

7 on my ballot is a dangerous spot. I think I've seen more of my 7s lose than any spot in the 20s. :D
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

sflzman

Quote from: K-Mack on October 25, 2010, 01:38:41 AM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 23, 2010, 12:10:00 AM
Fisher at 6???

WOW
Massey has them at 7.

Keith has them at 7, we learned in the podcast this week.

7 on my ballot is a dangerous spot. I think I've seen more of my 7s lose than any spot in the 20s. :D

Any spot is dangerous...What's that term, Any given Sunday? I would say it works for Saturdays too
Be not afraid of greatness - Shakespeare

Toby Taff

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on October 24, 2010, 11:18:42 PM
MHB seems to be hanging on by a thread all season long...they are going to fall sooner or later. they don't seem as strong as years in the past.

So much for those who ranked SJF in the top 10  ;).

I don't think UMHB will lose during the regular season.  There have been a lot of close games, mostly due to play in the defensive backfield which is really dangerous in the pass happy ASC, yet they have managed to win.  I think what is interesting to note is how they are doing it.  They are running the ball as always, but when teams come up and stack the box and say your only going to win if you pass the ball, this season they have thrown the ball successfully. They're by no means prolific at the pass, but they are averaging 147 yds/game, and that is something new. 

That said, I think that HSU is the best team in the ASC right now, and if they get an at large bid they will be a force to reckon with.  UMHB can still right the ship defensively, so maybe that changes, but barring injury between now and the inevitable rematch, I think HSU has the better chance of winning a second game right now.
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.