D3 Top 25 Fan Poll

Started by usee, October 20, 2010, 04:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sflzman

Quote from: seventiesraider on November 08, 2010, 11:27:54 PM
Quote from: smedindy on November 06, 2010, 01:05:17 AM
Quote from: jam40jeff on November 05, 2010, 01:10:56 PM
Quote from: smedindy on November 04, 2010, 09:40:48 PM
I rate Witt higher because they won games that other teams without as many 'intangibles' would have lost.

Was it an "intangible" that caused CMU to miss a 30-yard chip shot at the end of regulation that would have beaten Witt? ;)

Voodoo...

I grudgingly allowed Witt into the Top 25 this week, or actually the Bottom of the 25

NOTE: The D3 Fan Poll will not be published till Wednesday this week

Ur saying u haven't had Witt in a poll yet before this one? I had them at 7, then 9, then 12, and they stayed at 12 this week....
Be not afraid of greatness - Shakespeare

02 Warhawk

I had a tough time finding my 25th team this week. I ended up plugging in Muhlenberg, one of their two losses was to D. Valley.

Muhlenberg's resume:

Record: 7-2
SOS: 50th (very respectable)
Conference rank: 12th (above average)
Centennial Conference Champs

I was semi-surprised they didn't receive votes in D3's top 25....

bleedpurple

This week's D3 Top 25 Fan Poll has been released!

www.uwwfootball.blogspot.com

02 Warhawk

In case people refuse to go into a Warhawk supported site  ;).

D3 Top 25 Fan Poll

1. UWW (20)  500
2. Mount Union  478
3. North Central  453
4. Wesley   439
5. St. Thomas  418
6. UMHB   397
7. Delaware Valley 351
8. Hardin-Simmons 338
9. Ohio Northern  325
10. Linfield   314
11. Wartburg   297
12. Wittenberg  274
13. Trine   260
14. Thomas More  249
15. Bethel   223
16. Coe    206
17. Wheaton   186
18. Cal. Lutheran  149
19. Depauw   111
20. Pac. Lutheran 105
21. Central   86
22. Cortland State 75
23. Rowan    67
24. Montclair  54
25. Franklin   48

Dropped Out: #23 St. John Fisher, #24 Wabash

Also receiving votes: Hampden-Sydney (34), St. John Fisher (20), Willamette (19), Washington U (5), Salisbury(4),Wabash(4),Williams(4), Alfred (2), Illinois Wesleyan (2), Albion (1), Baldwin-Wallace (1), Muhlenberg (1)

sflzman

Trine continues to climb, slowly but surely

FarAwayCat

Nice, i didn't realize you had a chat area setup for this.  Much easier to comment although I'll still probably only check it once a week.  Thanks for setting this up.  Intriguing.

Old IC Voice

For the record, the lack of a complete poll is totally my fault. I've been totally swamped at work and forgot about this. My apologies to my fellow pollsters and those following.

bleedpurple

Quote from: Old IC Voice on November 09, 2010, 05:56:56 PM
For the record, the lack of a complete poll is totally my fault. I've been totally swamped at work and forgot about this. My apologies to my fellow pollsters and those following.

Actually, the most responsibility you can assume is 25%. But I found a way to keep the points and differential in perspective.  I calculated the ballots received and determined the top 25 from them. Then with the 4 missing ballots, I submitted ballots with those 25 teams in order.  That way the results of the submitted ballots and the differential weren't compromised and the points total could be consistent from week to week.  Hopefully, next week we can get all 20 once again.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: bleedpurple on November 09, 2010, 06:28:42 PM
Quote from: Old IC Voice on November 09, 2010, 05:56:56 PM

Actually, the most responsibility you can assume is 25%. But I found a way to keep the points and differential in perspective.  I calculated the ballots received and determined the top 25 from them. Then with the 4 missing ballots, I submitted ballots with those 25 teams in order.  That way the results of the submitted ballots and the differential weren't compromised and the points total could be consistent from week to week.  Hopefully, next week we can get all 20 once again.

I have a simpler solution.  Let me know how many ballots you're missing, and I'll supply the remainder!  (Yes, I grew up knowing the "Chicago mantra": vote early and vote often! ;D)

I'll even vary some of my ballots, since I don't always agree with myself! ;)

Mr. Ypsi

bleedpurple, while your solution has some good qualities for week-to-week comparisons, it does also have the downside of potentially inflating differential between teams.  Looking at the closest margin in this week's poll, DePauw presumably beat out Pac Lu by two points.  By submitting 4 'ghost' ballots with DePauw 19th and Pac Lu 20th, their margin rose to six points.  Four actual ballots would have been unlikely to have that particular margin (and, being that close with 16 real ballots, might well have resulted in Pac Lu ahead of DePauw).

sflzman

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 09, 2010, 07:10:29 PM
bleedpurple, while your solution has some good qualities for week-to-week comparisons, it does also have the downside of potentially inflating differential between teams.  Looking at the closest margin in this week's poll, DePauw presumably beat out Pac Lu by two points.  By submitting 4 'ghost' ballots with DePauw 19th and Pac Lu 20th, their margin rose to six points.  Four actual ballots would have been unlikely to have that particular margin (and, being that close with 16 real ballots, might well have resulted in Pac Lu ahead of DePauw).

That's true, I know you don't want to vary the number of points each week, but I would have to agree with Mr Ypsi, you seperate each couple of teams....

smedindy

However, since this isn't *gospel* and it's the last week before the playoffs, I'm not bothered.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: smedindy on November 09, 2010, 07:52:41 PM
However, since this isn't *gospel* and it's the last week before the playoffs, I'm not bothered.

I'm not bothered either.  Just wanted to point out the mathematical downside to his solution.  Personally, I think the solution in my previous post would be preferable! ;D

criswyly

Linfield belongs in the top five easily....all well informed d3 followers should know that.  But I guess they don't.
Don't forget your booties cause it's cold out there!

WashUDad

LOL  I guess that is why they aren't ranked in the top 10 in D3Football's poll or AFCA's poll either.
Quote from: criswyly on November 09, 2010, 08:52:02 PM
Linfield belongs in the top five easily....all well informed d3 followers should know that.  But I guess they don't.