D3 Top 25 Fan Poll

Started by usee, October 20, 2010, 04:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smedindy

bleedpurple

Hi everyone,

i'd be happy to coordinate the fan poll again this year, unless someone else wants to go for it. Anyone who is in, just send me a private message to confirm you want to be a part of it.  I was thinking it would be good to give ourselves about a week to read Kickoff and then try to get me the ballots by midnight on August 30th. And then I will put out the pre-season poll results on September 1st.

And yes, Kickoff is DEFINITELY worth the money!

emma17

Thanks Bleedpurple for putting this together.

Welcome to the initial addition of the 2011 D3 Top 25 Fan Poll.  Thanks to those agreeing to being pollsters for the 2011 season. Here is the "fan's view" of where team ranks as the 2011 season kicks off this week:

1. UW-Whitewater (12)    348
2. Mount Union (2)           338
3. North Central                314
4. Wesley                          309
5. St. Thomas                   286
6. UMHB                         280
7. Bethel                          249
8. Wheaton                      242
9 Linfield                         238
10.. Coe                           200
11. Ohio Northern           184
12. Wartburg                    167
13. Montclair State          153
14. Thomas More            146
15. Cortland State            138
16. Hardin-Simmons       134
17. Cal Lutheran              130
18. Alfred                          92
19. Trine                            81
20. Wabash                        80
21. Wittenberg                   77
22. UW-Stevens Point       62
23. St. Johns                      60
24. Rowan                         47
25. Franklin                       34

Also Receiving Votes: Delaware Valley 29, Baldwin Wallace 26, Central 20, Willamette 16, Elmhurst 13, UW- Oshkosh 11, Salisbury 11,  Hampden-Sydney 9, Washington and Lee 6, Johns Hopkins 5, Louisiana College 5, Pacific Lutheran 4, Redlands 3, St. John Fisher 2, Illinois Wesleyan 1.

emma17

Thanks for taking the time to get this done Bleedpurple.
I don't know if I'm surprised or disappointed that the poll looks an awful lot like the D3 poll released.  As much as I respect the DIII gang, I thought the preseason poll provided many opportunities for differing opinions- which I guess I'll start here.
I love UWW through and through, but MT has 18 returning starters.  From a "pre-season" perspective, MT seems they should be the pre-season #1, for now.
MHB continues to receive lots of love and I don't get it- 10th place for me. I put Hardin Simmons at #6. 
I feel Baldwin-Wallace should replace Ohio Northern at 11- I don't get the love for Ohio Northern.  ONU out of top 25.
I placed St. Thomas at #3- ahead of NCC and Wesley.  These three teams are close to a toss up to me.  St. Thomas over NCC because NCC losses an unbelievable linebacker.  NCC over Wesley because I feel they play a more disciplined overall game- with speed everywhere that can compete with Wesley.
Bethel at 7 and Wheaton at 8- So the OAC, MIAC, ASC and CCIW each had two top 10 teams in my book.
Oshkosh just missed, coming in at 15  ;)

rams1102

Quote from: emma17 on August 31, 2011, 11:57:02 AM
Thanks Bleedpurple for putting this together.

Welcome to the initial addition of the 2011 D3 Top 25 Fan Poll.  Thanks to those agreeing to being pollsters for the 2011 season. Here is the "fan's view" of where team ranks as the 2011 season kicks off this week:

Also Receiving Votes: Delaware Valley 29, Baldwin Wallace 26, Central 20, Willamette 16, Elmhurst 13, UW- Oshkosh 11, Salisbury 11,  Hampden-Sydney 9, Washington and Lee 6, Johns Hopkins 5, Louisiana College 5, Pacific Lutheran 4, Redlands 3, St. John Fisher 2, Illinois Wesleyan 1.

Bleedpurple & emma17,

Thanks for the effort, I'm a Montclair State fan, a little different slant then D3. +K
It ain't over till it's over, and when you get to the fork in the road, take it.

emma17

No credit to me, I only cut and pasted all the work Bleedpurple did.

bleedpurple

Quote from: emma17 on August 31, 2011, 12:07:19 PM
I don't know if I'm surprised or disappointed that the poll looks an awful lot like the D3 poll released.  As much as I respect the DIII gang, I thought the preseason poll provided many opportunities for differing opinions- which I guess I'll start here.
I love UWW through and through, but MT has 18 returning starters.  From a "pre-season" perspective, MT seems they should be the pre-season #1, for now.
MHB continues to receive lots of love and I don't get it- 10th place for me. I put Hardin Simmons at #6. 

I feel Baldwin-Wallace should replace Ohio Northern at 11- I don't get the love for Ohio Northern.  ONU out of top 25.
I placed St. Thomas at #3- ahead of NCC and Wesley.  These three teams are close to a toss up to me.  St. Thomas over NCC because NCC losses an unbelievable linebacker.  NCC over Wesley because I feel they play a more disciplined overall game- with speed everywhere that can compete with Wesley.
Bethel at 7 and Wheaton at 8- So the OAC, MIAC, ASC and CCIW each had two top 10 teams in my book.

Thanks, Emma17.  I think it's great for you (and all the pollsters) to think through criteria and rank the teams (Even though you screwed up your #1 team  ;)). It should get pretty interesting as upsets occur and teams move up and down and in and out of the Top 25. For those wondering, Here is the D3football.com Top 25 poll:

1    UW-Whitewater (19)    15-0    619    1
2    Mount Union (6)    14-1    606    2
3    Wesley    12-1    561    4
4    North Central (Ill.)    12-1    526    3
5    St. Thomas    12-1    491    7
6    Mary Hardin-Baylor    12-1    481    5
7    Bethel    12-2    480    6
8    Wheaton (Ill.)    10-2    382    11
9    Linfield    9-2    347    9
10    Coe    9-2    321    14
11    Thomas More    11-1    277    15
12    Montclair State    10-2    270    19
13    Cortland State    10-2    267    18
14    Ohio Northern    10-2    259    8
15    Wartburg    10-1    238    12
16    Hardin-Simmons    8-2    230    24
17    Cal Lutheran    8-2    199    21
18    Alfred    10-3    195    13
19    Wabash    8-2    175    --
20    Wittenberg    10-1    165    17
21    Trine    11-1    129    10
22    Rowan    9-1    108    23
23    UW-Stevens Point    7-3    89    --
24    Franklin    9-2    86    22
25    St. John's    7-3    78    --

Others receiving votes: Delaware Valley 76, Hampden-Sydney 73, Central 64, Pacific Lutheran 62, Salisbury 55, Baldwin-Wallace 45, Springfield 29, Redlands 24, Bridgewater (Va.) 22, Johns Hopkins 16, Willamette 15, Louisiana College 13, Monmouth 10, St. John Fisher 9, Christopher Newport 9, Washington and Jefferson 6, DePauw 5, McMurry 3, Washington and Lee 3, Lebanon Valley 2, UW-Oshkosh 2, Millsaps 1, UW-Stout 1, Williams 1.

And once again the D3 Top 25 Fan Poll:

crufootball

Thanks for the work guys, anything that can get me through the last few days without college football is great in my book.

I am curious though Emma, why don't you get the love for MHB but seem to have the love for HSU?

02 Warhawk

I agree they have a lot coming back. But nobody on their roster, that's coming back, is named: Cecil Shorts, Kyle Miller,
Lambert Budzinski, Sam Kershaw or Samy Geurrero.

As long as UWW still has Coppage, UWW will still be my #1. UWW's weakness last season was their secondary....I believe this year those positions will be their strength. Just about everyone is returning, including a transfer from DII that is tearing it up in preseason from what I hear. I really excited about their secondary.

Considering Oshkosh received 11 points (Others receiving votes), that makes you the only one to put them in the top 25.  ;)

As a fan on the WIAC, I hope you're right about them. And if they knock off both Central and Mount, then you can tell us all to suck it!!!  8-)

hazzben

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on August 31, 2011, 02:47:49 PM

I agree they have a lot coming back. But nobody on their roster, that's coming back, is named: Cecil Shorts, Kyle Miller,

As long as UWW still has Coppage, UWW will still be my #1. UWW's weakness last season was their secondary....I believe this year those positions will be their strength. Just about everyone is returning, including a transfer from DII that is tearing it up in preseason from what I hear. I really excited about their secondary.

I have UWW at #1 in my submission for this very reason, although I went back and forth on Mount and UWW.

Those 18 returners are significant, especially given how many were very talented sophomores last year. That said, the four that Mount graduated were elite talents that will be no automatic to replace. Two of these guys are currently on an NFL roster. Shorts is looking like he's locked down the #3 spot on the Jags roster, with some saying he could be their #2 by seasons end. He was an NFL caliber player at WR.

UWW definitely graduates some talent, but they bring back their two most important pieces at RB and QB. The O-line lost some guys, but they seem to have reached a level of reloading there as well as on the D-line. At the end of the day, I gave the #1 nod to UWW because they bring back their best player from the Stagg and get a great QB back as well. Those new starters for UWW will be a push by the time these two teams likely meet. Every new starter at that point will probably have 14 games under their belt, more than a full season.

I dropped Trine out of my Top 25 until I see how they fair replacing an All-American QB.

The way I'm treating these early poll submissions is that they will be very fluid. It's all based on perception at this point and no team has proved anything on the field. I anticipate lots of movement in the next several weeks in my poll.

sflzman

Quote from: hazzben on August 31, 2011, 03:36:19 PM
Quote from: 02 Warhawk on August 31, 2011, 02:47:49 PM

I have UWW at #1 in my submission for this very reason, although I went back and forth on Mount and UWW.

Those 18 returners are significant, especially given how many were very talented sophomores last year. That said, the four that Mount graduated were elite talents that will be no automatic to replace. Two of these guys are currently on an NFL roster. Shorts is looking like he's locked down the #3 spot on the Jags roster, with some saying he could be their #2 by seasons end. He was an NFL caliber player at WR.

UWW definitely graduates some talent, but they bring back their two most important pieces at RB and QB. The O-line lost some guys, but they seem to have reached a level of reloading there as well as on the D-line. At the end of the day, I gave the #1 nod to UWW because they bring back their best player from the Stagg and get a great QB back as well. Those new starters for UWW will be a push by the time these two teams likely meet. Every new starter at that point will probably have 14 games under their belt, more than a full season.

I dropped Trine out of my Top 25 until I see how they fair replacing an All-American QB.

The way I'm treating these early poll submissions is that they will be very fluid. It's all based on perception at this point and no team has proved anything on the field. I anticipate lots of movement in the next several weeks in my poll.

I don't think Trine will be there at the end of the year, honestly I don't think they will win the MIAA this year with an undefeated record. Albion or Alma will beat them. I have them slotted at 25 just out of the respect of the name, but I don't think their run in my top 25 will last.
Be not afraid of greatness - Shakespeare

dlippiel

dlip who has been contibuting to the East Region Fan Poll for a couple years now never even knew this was here :o. Looks like some really dedicated work and research is done here each week by the Top 25 Fan Pollsters. Nice job fellas this looks solid! dlip looks forward to following this thread as well as his usual East Region threads here in 2011. Thanks for all the work!

CruFrenzy

emma17,

I can KIND OF understand the point about MU having so many returning starters and looking THAT good from a preseason perspective.
     Now, on the UMHB topic, what "don't you get"? I don't know if you haven't taken a close enough look at the Crusaders this year or what it is, but they're returning 16 starters and even have a few transfers that could be game changers. There is nothing that says they shouldn't be MORE successful than last year, i'm not trying to be rude. It just doesnt make any sense you having them at No.10. Most people around Belton are talking even bigger than usual about this year's group.
     HSU on the other hand? They lost there head coach last year and their ALL-American QB. If anyone isn't getting enough love this year it's McMurry, who in my opinion has a good chance to take down HSU and even give UMHB a tight ballgame. All i'm saying is, UMHB is ranked No.6 by D3football for a reason and in my opinion may be even better than that. HSU is no where near No.6 in the nation this year, i dont think they should even be ranked.
2016, 2018 & 2021 National Champions :)

smedindy

As a voter, after the obvious first two there was such a knot for me between 3-11 and then a gap between 11 (Bethel) and 12 (Wartburg) and then another knot all the way down. I had Salisbury higher than most, and didn't have another WIAC team in the top 25, as I'm on a 'wait and see' with them. I don't know how much difference there is between a Salisbury, a Wittenberg, a UW-SP, or a Del Val until the first game or three.

We're now blessed with a lot of good to great teams in D-3 behind the obvious powers. I think that's excellent for the growth of the sport and the division. There's nothing better to incent excellence than to strive toward an aspirational peer, and we have a couple in D-3. I think the equality of the top programs after the Purple shows that.

emma17

Quote from: crufootball on August 31, 2011, 02:19:15 PM

Thanks for the work guys, anything that can get me through the last few days without college football is great in my book.

I am curious though Emma, why don't you get the love for MHB but seem to have the love for HSU?

Cru- Thanks for asking about my MHB ranking.  First, I did make them #10- so it's not that I think they are weak or undeserving of a high ranking.  Since I don't get to see many ASC games I based my rank on what they did the last couple years in the playoffs and what I read in the Kickoff write-ups.  H-S was the #1 ranked offensive team last year, and although they lose their stud QB, it seems they have experienced and talented guys in the wings.  In addition, they return 8 defensive starters, which I have to believe will help them against MHB.  I know MHB returns the same on defense, but I feel it's easier to improve on defense against a team with a year or two experience.  I am not a huge fan of the MHB offense- at least in what I read from last year.  They struggled mightily to pass vs. Wesley I remember.  Is that because they feature a QB that is better at running than passing?  I don't know for sure, but that's what I based my decision on. 
Having seen MHB in 2007, I have lots of respect for the program.