D3 Top 25 Fan Poll

Started by usee, October 20, 2010, 04:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smedindy

Does Ypsi vote? I wonder where he cast his allegiance?

emma17

Quote from: sflzman on September 28, 2011, 09:04:59 PM
Did that conference listing come out? Or did I just miss it?

The conference rankings are out on D3 site. Interesting format.

02 Warhawk

Quote from: emma17 on September 29, 2011, 07:24:03 PM

No comment about OAC being in the top tier?

sflzman

I was actually talking about the diversity of conferences of the voters, but thanks I was looking for this too....
Be not afraid of greatness - Shakespeare

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: smedindy on September 29, 2011, 01:40:32 PM
Does Ypsi vote? I wonder where he cast his allegiance?

Fall is my camping sojourn.  I come to town briefly on Tuesdays for my bowling league; otherwise am near a computer only Thursday (or Friday) thru Sunday, to cast my pickems picks, and run the MIAA pickems.

I run (and pick in) the basketball fan poll (camping in Michigan is not a viable option in January! ;)), but don't feel qualified to vote in the football poll.  Not that that would ever keep me from commenting on those who do! ;D).

I DO cast a ballot in the North Region fan poll - and stubbornly hold that NCC's loss at Redlands was a total fluke, and still have them second only to UMU!  But I just don't spend enough time in what is laughingly called 'the real world' ;) to rate teams across the country.  (My standing in the 4 pickems I participate in will probably confirm this. :P)

If I did vote, my allegiance would be North region, CCIW first, MIAA second.

emma17

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on September 29, 2011, 07:58:46 PM

I actually don't know how to interpret what he wrote.  If his point is to list the conferences most likely to produce this year's national champion- then I agree totally.  If we are supposed to read his format as an actual ranking of the best conferences (which I'll define as top 4-5 teams), then I couldn't disagree more-as long as we are talking 2011 rankings.  "Lop Mt Union off the OAC and you have the CCIW".  Are you kidding me?  That is a ridiculous statement and couldn't be a bigger slap in the face to a conference that deserves more credit.  Take the top 4 2011 OAC teams (whoever you think they might be) and put them against NCC, Wheaton, Illinois Wesleyan (and pick the 4th from several) and you probably have a clean sweep of the CCIW over the OAC.  If you agree with my statement above (and how could you be a writer of a D3 football blog and not agree), then the OAC is no better than 3rd.  Now work down some of the other conferences.  ASC- a complete wipeout of the OAC- making the OAC no better than 4th.  MIAC- probably 3-1 against the OAC- making the OAC no better than 5th.  The NWC- do you think Linfield, Cal Lutheran and Willamette are going to struggle against 2-4 in the OAC this year? 

bleedpurple

Quote from: emma17 on September 30, 2011, 11:50:13 AM

I actually don't know how to interpret what he wrote.  If his point is to list the conferences most likely to produce this year's national champion- then I agree totally.  If we are supposed to read his format as an actual ranking of the best conferences (which I'll define as top 4-5 teams), then I couldn't disagree more-as long as we are talking 2011 rankings.  "Lop Mt Union off the OAC and you have the CCIW".  Are you kidding me?  That is a ridiculous statement and couldn't be a bigger slap in the face to a conference that deserves more credit.  Take the top 4 2011 OAC teams (whoever you think they might be) and put them against NCC, Wheaton, Illinois Wesleyan (and pick the 4th from several) and you probably have a clean sweep of the CCIW over the OAC.  If you agree with my statement above (and how could you be a writer of a D3 football blog and not agree), then the OAC is no better than 3rd.  Now work down some of the other conferences.  ASC- a complete wipeout of the OAC- making the OAC no better than 4th.  MIAC- probably 3-1 against the OAC- making the OAC no better than 5th.  The NWC- do you think Linfield, Cal Lutheran and Willamette are going to struggle against 2-4 in the OAC this year? 

Ya just couldn't leave it alone, could ya 02?  ;)

emma17

Quote from: bleedpurple on September 30, 2011, 12:19:13 PM

And another thing.  "OAC teams went 7-3 against non conference opponents".  Oooo, that's impressive.  The combined record of the teams they beat is 6 wins and 19 losses- and one of the teams they beat is Oshkosh (Mt Union) w 2 of those 6 wins.  3 of the 7 wins came against teams that have yet to win a game (0-11). 
A lamer (new word I think, but it's football Friday and I'm fired up) arguement could not have been presented to support a top tier for the OAC.     

emma17

Quote from: emma17 on September 30, 2011, 12:35:09 PM

And another thing.  "OAC teams went 7-3 against non conference opponents".  Oooo, that's impressive.  The combined record of the teams they beat is 6 wins and 19 losses- and one of the teams they beat is Oshkosh (Mt Union) w 2 of those 6 wins.  3 of the 7 wins came against teams that have yet to win a game (0-11). 
A lamer (new word I think, but it's football Friday and I'm fired up) arguement could not have been presented to support a top tier for the OAC.   

What I don't get is why the CCIW isn't up in arms defending themselves from such insult.  Have they read the conference rankings?  Is it my responsibility to post the comments on their board and inform them of how lowly they are thought of (the same as the Empire 8- come on!!!!).  Sometimes I think the posters over there are too smart- dallying in subjects I just don't understand.  Take up Arms I say and defend yourselves lads. 

02 Warhawk

Just striring the pot   8-)

02 Warhawk

If you agree with my statement above (and how could you be a writer of a D3 football blog and not agree), then the OAC is no better than 3rd.

I'm not saying I disagree, I was just curious on your thoughts about Keith's column.

A lamer (new word I think, but it's football Friday and I'm fired up)....     

No kidding....

ExTartanPlayer

OK...so let's play that game with the CCIW.
CCIW went 18-6 against nonconference opponents.
8 of the 18 wins came against teams that have yet to win a game (three against Olivet!)
The combined record of the teams they beat is...16-49.
(FYI, that's about the same winning percentage as 6-19)

Your argument is just as flawedas the D-3 writers.
Only fair of you to acknowledge that.

The OAC and CCIW are both great conferences, and it's not their fault that teams they've beaten in the early going have subpar records (actually, it kind of IS their fault, since they are contributing to those lowly records by BEATING them).

The only thing that really supports your argument is the victory of CCIW champ North Central over OAC runner-up Ohio Northern in the 2010 playoffs.  I would also point out that North Central defeated every CCIW team (including runnerup Wheaton) by a larger margin than they did ONU.

For a while, the OAC runner-up consistently made the playoffs and often advanced until they ran into Mount (this happened five separate times from 1999-2006, including a 2002 run by John Carroll to the semifinals before losing to Mount, and 2005-06 Capital made the quarterfinals before losing to Mount).  I think there's plenty of evidence to suggest that the next 3-4 OAC teams are viable contenders against top teams from other conferences.
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

emma17

Ex Tartan- my son's game starts in 52 minutes, otherwise I'd be glad to point out the flaws of your arguement. I do have time to say this, the reason I showed wins and losses of opponents of the OAC was to demonstrate the flaw in the D 3 writers' inclusion of the "7-3 vs non conf" as if that should be impressive.
I'll give you plenty of other reasons why the CCIW's top 4 would blank the OAC's 2-5 teams when I have time.
Go Hawks

retagent

Speaking of the CCIW, I'm interested in the Carthage NCC game at Carthage tomorrow. Could be an interesting result.

smedindy

Maybe it's not an insult. I always thought the CCIW looked at the OAC as an aspirational peer.