D3 Top 25 Fan Poll

Started by usee, October 20, 2010, 04:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

One thing I will note about the CCIW in postseason play - against anyone but UMU or UWW, the CCIW is something over 90% wins against all others in the past c. two decades.  The ONLY year that neither UMU or UWW was in the 'North', pool C Wheaton won it (only to be ousted in the semis by, you guessed it, UMU). :P

Back when playoffs were by regions (rather than four top seeds around whom 'regions' were constructed), we were at first delighted when UMU went East.  That, of course, was the very year that UWW broke through with their first Stagg title (and was imported as the North #1 seed ::)).  What's that about "out of the frying pan, into ..."?

The CCIW has the misfortune of being located directly between Alliance and Whitewater. 8-)

Pat Coleman

If you want to discuss Around the Nation, there's a board for that. You might get someone else's attention then, too.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

sflzman

What have I been saying all year long?

Adrian is the best MIAA school, not Trine.

Adrian 26
@ Trine 7
Be not afraid of greatness - Shakespeare

FCGrizzliesGrad

It's going to be another interesting week of ranking and discussions... does Trine fall out, will Adrian get in the rankings and pass them, what to do with Ohio Northern? And the day isn't even done yet
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

smedindy

What to do about Bethel? And does the shellacking by the Tommies take the luster off of UW-EC's win in Collegeville?

The weather may have plagued the OAC today. This is why it's not good to do score comparisons, much less year-over-year comparisons. In conference play, especially in established conferences, wacky things happen.

Mr. Ypsi

Aw, smed, score comparisons are fun!

Muskingum beat ONU by 20; UMU beat ONU by 8; ergo, Muskingum is 12 points better than UMU! ;D

Oh, and Musky beat Wilmington by only 11, so Wilma is 9 points better than ONU and 1 point better than UMU! :D

BoBo

Quote from: smedindy on October 01, 2011, 05:29:38 PM
What to do about Bethel? And does the shellacking by the Tommies take the luster off of UW-EC's win in Collegeville?

UW-EC's game was the second of the year...we're now in week four...big difference.  Who's to say UW-EC doesn't do the same to the Johns in week four playing at home? I don't think it takes any luster off their win AT Collegeville.
I'VE REACHED THAT AGE
WHERE MY BRAIN GOES
FROM "YOU PROBABLY
SHOULDN'T SAY THAT," TO
"WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE
WHAT HAPPENS."

CruFrenzy

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on October 01, 2011, 05:47:26 PM
Aw, smed, score comparisons are fun!

Muskingum beat ONU by 20; UMU beat ONU by 8; ergo, Muskingum is 12 points better than UMU! ;D

Oh, and Musky beat Wilmington by only 11, so Wilma is 9 points better than ONU and 1 point better than UMU! :D
So what does this really say about these three teams? Does this mean that maybe Mount Union is a little down this year? Or maybe it just means that Muskingum is really something, and Ohio Northern and Mount Union are just as good as usual. Does ONU drop out of the top 25? And does Muskingum have a chance to take down the purple raiders??? So many questions!
2016, 2018 & 2021 National Champions :)

smedindy

Quote from: BoBo on October 01, 2011, 07:48:21 PM
Quote from: smedindy on October 01, 2011, 05:29:38 PM

UW-EC's game was the second of the year...we're now in week four...big difference.  Who's to say UW-EC doesn't do the same to the Johns in week four playing at home? I don't think it takes any luster off their win AT Collegeville.

Just askin' the questions. The Johnnies' record is most Hamline-esque.

smedindy

As a public service, and pending the Redlands / Cal Lutheran result, here are the undefeated members of D-3. Note: I didn't include anyone that may be undefeated against D-3 but has a loss (like UW-Eau Claire) because, well, I just thought of that and I gots other stuffs to do. Oh, and this excludes the NESCAC for good reasons.

In no order:

Mary Hardin-Baylor
Johns Hopkins
Illinois Wesleyan
Salisbury
Dubuque
Hobart
Delaware Valley
Adrian
St. Thomas
Augsburg
Wabash
Wittenberg
Worcester State
Endicott (Why can't you be like Endicott? Sorry, had a Kid Creole moment...)
Kean
Montclair State
Lewis & Clark
Linfield
Mt. Union
Muskingum
Thomas More
Birmingham Southern
Centre
Trinity (TX)
Redlands
St. Scholastica
UW - Whitewater

Mugsy

Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on September 30, 2011, 02:14:03 PM
The only thing that really supports your argument is the victory of CCIW champ North Central over OAC runner-up Ohio Northern in the 2010 playoffs.  I would also point out that North Central defeated every CCIW team (including runnerup Wheaton) by a larger margin than they did ONU.

For a while, the OAC runner-up consistently made the playoffs and often advanced until they ran into Mount (this happened five separate times from 1999-2006, including a 2002 run by John Carroll to the semifinals before losing to Mount, and 2005-06 Capital made the quarterfinals before losing to Mount).  I think there's plenty of evidence to suggest that the next 3-4 OAC teams are viable contenders against top teams from other conferences.

Very minor point, but there was another OAC runner up that lost prior to facing Mount Union in the playoffs.
2003: Wheaton def. Baldwin Wallace 16-12
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

Ralph Turner

smedindy

Boy this one wasn't easy...

BoBo

I'VE REACHED THAT AGE
WHERE MY BRAIN GOES
FROM "YOU PROBABLY
SHOULDN'T SAY THAT," TO
"WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE
WHAT HAPPENS."

02 Warhawk

Interested to see if Mount loses any first-place votes (both in this and D3football's poll).