WBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saratoga

Regarding tonights Lady Royal/Moravian game....

Scranton has to take smarter shots (3 pointers with 4 players out of position) won't help the cause.

They need to go right at the Moravian post and take higher % shots which lead to 2 things, fouls & second chance shots.

And then obviously, keep pressure on MCap and don't let her get on an unconscious scoring binge.

Always hard to beat a team 3 times in a season & although Scranton has generally handled Moravian...even a blind squirrel finds a nut now & then.

Best of luck Lady Royals.

Tim the Enchanter

The Greyhounds gave the Royals all they could handle, but the Royals made some good adjustments at the half (especially against Ewald) to pull away.  Mason was a woman on a mission tonight. 

Best of luck on Saturday against Catholic.  Should be another great game between those two!

NEPAFAN

They are offering $100 on your cafeteria account for kids to show up Saturday (via raffle at half time)....again a move in the right direction... take some time in the off-season...add a pep band, half court shot contest.
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: NEPAFAN on February 28, 2020, 01:03:22 PM
They are offering $100 on your cafeteria account for kids to show up Saturday (via raffle at half time)....again a move in the right direction... take some time in the off-season...add a pep band, half court shot contest.

"Add a pep band" ... you make it seem so easy.

And some of the best DIII atmospheres I've been in ... haven't had a pep band. Not a single instrument in sight. I used to play in a pep band in high school and they are cool, but they are not the be-all and end-all of making atmospheres better.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

NEPAFAN

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 28, 2020, 01:28:51 PM
Quote from: NEPAFAN on February 28, 2020, 01:03:22 PM

"Add a pep band" ... you make it seem so easy.

And some of the best DIII atmospheres I've been in ... haven't had a pep band. Not a single instrument in sight. I used to play in a pep band in high school and they are cool, but they are not the be-all and end-all of making atmospheres better.

Okay enlighten me then Dave on what you would do?
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

gordonmann

I like a good pep band.

Heck, even a bad pep band is amusing in a different way. I covered a school in the NESCAC that used to have like four musicians, one of which played the triangle. It was charming in its own way. :)

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I'm not against pep bands, but they don't just grow on trees. It requires someone being in charge of said-band and that means another full-time individual. It requires practice space and many other requirements that I can't even think of this moment. Not to mention ... do they have enough people interested in being part of the band?

I have no idea what works or doesn't work at Scranton, but someone who knows how to play music and add to the atmosphere is something worth considering - and a lot cheaper than someone to run a pep band.

But more importantly, there are things you can do just to promote ... public relations is always the best tactic. I have seen it work tremendously well and seen it fail. A program has to make an effort. You guys have a minor league team up there ... they do a lot of these things.

That all said ... there is a chance Scranton is fine with how things are (I don't want to assume anything about anything) ... and this is just your complaint on these boards. I have no idea. My point is: just because there are complaints here doesn't mean it is an actual problem.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Tim the Enchanter

I don't know how it is at Scranton NOW, but I know that the idea of a pep band at Scranton was broached in the 90s when I was a student there. 

For pep bands there is a unique intersection of ability in music and interest in sports, in addition to (as Dave noted) having a committed faculty member to run it and the requirements of time, space and instruments.  Given all of those variables (and concern from the band directors there that it would poach some of their performers), we couldn't get a pep band off the ground.

We did come to a sort of compromise and briefly had a kazoo "band" in the student section, which was fun, but there wasn't enough interest to sustain that.

Roundball999

I am aware of some D3 programs that invite local high school bands or ensembles to play at games, especially rivalry or other big games.  Seems to work well for both sides.

Rofrog

Remember the year NYU brought a band and the U had one for a year or two!I say for entertainment you bring the top 25 voters in at half/No that will not work all they would talk about is how great the Nescac is(Joking)Talk about entertainment who remembers when they brought Morton Downey Jr,You talk about the death stear holy **** lmao!!

Rofrog

The President was not happy!!!

ronk

Quote from: gordonmann on February 28, 2020, 03:51:35 PM
I like a good pep band.

Heck, even a bad pep band is amusing in a different way. I covered a school in the NESCAC that used to have like four musicians, one of which played the triangle. It was charming in its own way. :)

:)

NEPAFAN

Dave

Not a complaint, it's a fact attendance is down and the coach is trying to address it. So I'd say it's a real issue.  I'm trying to offer up solutions. Attendance at men's and women's games is way down. They have a music program and a band program. I would think it would be something worth exploring.
Vince Lombardi

Rofrog

Agreed-Great idea by coach to get the students involved!The Halftime show will be one on one Dean(The Machine)Corwin  vs  Happy Harry (The Guzzler)Deemer

Tim the Enchanter

Congratulations to the Lady Royals on your Landmark Conference championship!  Makenzie Mason once again played with a purpose in leading them to victory.

I did want to say how impressed I have been with Bridget Monaghan's growth this year.  When I saw her highlight reel and her play early in the season, I was concerned with how often she forced up rushed, off-balanced shots.  But she has learned to make better decisions with the ball.  She has played much more composed of late.  In this game of note, she had a couple of instances where earlier in the year she would have put up an awkward contested shot, but today she used her head fake well and drove to the basket for the higher percentage layup.

Best of luck in the NCAA tournament, ladies.  Hopefully Catholic can join you there!