BB: E8: Empire 8

Started by maxpower, February 23, 2007, 12:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D3SportsFan

Fisher, Ithaca, and Stevens will likely battle at the top of the E8. Each graduated some key players, with Fisher still returning the most pitching. Ithaca's offense has a lot returning, as Stevens will be reloading at several positions.

It seems like everyone is looking up at Fisher, but Ithaca and Stevens won't make it easy for anyone.

Who will likely be the 4th team be in the conference tournament?

e8bbfan

My guess is either Utica (again) or Canton.  Both have some good young talent.  Pitching for both will be a question mark and will be a key to their consistency.

D3SportsFan

Canton should be tough with the pitchers and hitters that are returning. Utica graduated their top pitcher, but do have several bats returning.

Does Houghton or Elmira have enough to compete for that 4th spot?

e8bbfan

Elmira maybe but Houghton is such a small school, I don't think they can compete at the upper level of the conference.

D3SportsFan

St. John Fisher has started the conference slate very strong...strong offense and solid pitching again for the Cardinals. Tough series between Ithaca and Stevens (home series for IC played at Stevens)...it will be interesting to see how these 2 fair moving forward since both are expected in the top 3 in the end.

Midweek:
Utica at Canton

This weekend:
Ithaca at Elmira
Stevens at Canton
Houghton at Utica
SJF bye

e8bbfan

Things are shaping up for a very interesting finish in the conference. Fisher and Ithaca are battling for the 1-2 spots but Stevens, Elmira and Utica are all in it for the final two spots. This last week should solidify things

D3SportsFan

Utica may be in the best spot among Elmira and Stevens since they have 6 conference games remaining and only one win behind those two.

Fisher with 8 conference games remaining will need to stay hot to hold onto the league crown, although Ithaca has 3 more losses than Fisher at this time so there is a cushion.

D3SportsFan

Still a few make up games after the final conference weekend:

St. John Fisher (14-1) magic number at 1 with 2.5 game lead over Ithaca (12-4). SJF and Ithaca DH on Saturday.

Stevens finishes E8 slate at 9-9.

Utica at 8-7 with single games against Canton, Elmira, and Fisher remaining.

Elmira at 8-9 with final game against Utica Friday.

D3SportsFan

Utica and Canton ppd today.

Bombers798891

Ithaca advances to the E8 title game, while St. John Fisher and Stevens battle it out to see who has to beat the Bombers twice tomorrow.

Boy, what a surprising opener by Fisher. Poldomani is Stevens' ace, I get it, but a 7-3 loss with the three runs coming in the 9th is a stunner. And for a team that relies heavily on three starters to have to burn that third one in a losers' bracket game is tough, especially because pitching depth is usually a key advantage when facing the Bombers. Ithaca also got a complete game from their starter today, so that helps, but I have no clue if Ithaca has the arms to pull this off

Bombers798891

I think you're going to see a ton of offense tomorrow. Fisher's up 5-1 after 2 in an elimination game with Stevens, but has used their top two starters, and already dug into their bullpen.  They could really use a long outing from Pisciotto today, but at 33 pitches through 2 innings, that might not be in the cards. Stevens tried to take advantage of playing back to back and start the pitcher who threw five innings in relief against IC. It didn't work.

If I were Fisher, I'd pull Pisciotto now, and save him for tomorrow. All respect to Stevens, but they made six errors in the Ithaca game, have made two already in this one, not to mention a passed ball and a dropped third strike. I just can't see them putting it together in this one.

Bombers798891

Looks like Fisher is going to stick with their starter, but another 15 pitch inning puts him at 48 through 3

Bombers798891

And it looks like Stevens read my post! The Ducks have battled back and have pulled even with Fisher, 5-5 in the 5th. They've really pounded Pisciotto, to the tune of 8 hits and two walks through five.

Hamel has thrown 2 2/3 scoreless for Stevens and maybe the Ducks got too cute by starting Ruegger. Stevens had to hit in the bottom of the 9th against Ithaca, then you had a half hour layoff, then  Stevens hit in the top of the first. That's a long layoff for Ruegger after a decent amount of work, and he pitched poorly.

EDIT: Fisher takes a 6-5 lead.

Bombers798891

Hamel has gone 4 1/3 and allowed just one run. Stevens goes yard to tie it at six. Boy, I'm kind of pulling for the Ducks, because it does look like they got too cute to open the game (Well, I'm actually rooting for about 20 innings of baseball, for Ithaca's sake).

sjfcards

Quote from: Bombers798891 on May 12, 2017, 02:53:42 PM
Ithaca advances to the E8 title game, while St. John Fisher and Stevens battle it out to see who has to beat the Bombers twice tomorrow.

Boy, what a surprising opener by Fisher. Poldomani is Stevens' ace, I get it, but a 7-3 loss with the three runs coming in the 9th is a stunner. And for a team that relies heavily on three starters to have to burn that third one in a losers' bracket game is tough, especially because pitching depth is usually a key advantage when facing the Bombers. Ithaca also got a complete game from their starter today, so that helps, but I have no clue if Ithaca has the arms to pull this off

Fisher did the same thing in last year's tournament. They dropped an egg against Utica in game one before winning 3 straight to push IC to an elimination game. Eventually losing to IC in the final game. The difference was last year's team had one more quality starter for the first game against IC. I guess the real question is, has Fisher done enough, if they do lose today, to get an at large?

GO FISHER!!!