2017 Season - National Perspective

Started by D3soccerwatcher, August 11, 2017, 10:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rudy

Quote from: Mid-Atlantic Fan on February 18, 2018, 06:20:48 PM
This may be my longest drought from the boards but I have been keeping tabs on the recruiting trail for teams around the region and stumbled upon this video for Lycoming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aisIkaQjDqc

I imagine this is a recruiting video and it's well done. It is fascinating to see all these schools getting into this sort of tactic with documentaries and filming throughout the season. That has to be attractive if you're a recruit looking at schools. Something as simple as this could be that edge to the overall "WOW" factor these programs are trying to produce.

Interesting. They won the battle but lost the war. Good rivalry with Messiah.. Nice to have a conference game to circle each year.  Rivalries are what brings the best out of sports. Back in the 80s Celtics versus Lakers was what us Boston fans looked forward to as well as the players. Nobody wanted Houston Rockets Vs Celtics in the finals..ugh. too bad lycoming  was not able to make it to the final 4 and play Messiah again...that would have been intense

Falconer

The quality of the Lycoming video is impressive. It also shows so clearly in the final segment how tall central defender Thomas actually is: he towers over the rest of his team. He's a big loss for 2018.

Except for the brief glimpse of the "payback" list on the whiteboard, however, you'd hardly know that Lycoming plays anyone other than Messiah--when they so obviously do play a lot of other top teams from this region. I can't imagine any other team, anywhere, making a video so focused on beating one specific team. Not even the Falcon's former conference rival, Etown, ever did such a thing, to the best of my knowledge. Does anyone know of a similar phenomenon elsewhere?

That fact underscores another fact, namely, that the Falcons always have a target on their backs, every time they take the field--even in the recent downturn when they failed to advance past the Sweet Sixteen or even qualify for the tournament. That says a lot about the toughness of the 2017 team, which (honestly) wasn't as deep in talent as the 2016 team (the one that Calvin defeated in Grantham) and was often having to overcome deficits on the scoreboard. Lycoming was probably more talented overall this past year. They took care of business in Grantham, yet they didn't make it to Greensboro. Maybe their next video needs to be a bit less single minded?

luckylefty

In fairness, they play in the same conference. Their game against Haverford, or someone else is obviously important but a conference foe will always get more energy and emotion.

Falconer

Quote from: luckylefty on March 07, 2018, 07:38:58 PM
In fairness, they play in the same conference. Their game against Haverford, or someone else is obviously important but a conference foe will always get more energy and emotion.

I agree with you about aiming at the big conference rival, lefty, but making such a single-minded video does strike me as different, to say the least. Some time ago there was talk here about the very aggressive video produced by Rowan University. The Lycoming video seems equally aggressive to me, but where Rowan was (sort of) crowning themselves as (hopeful) national champions vs all comers, Lycoming is targeting one team. It's as if Rowan had focused on (say) RU-N or RU-C or Montclair, to the virtual exclusion of everyone else on their schedule.

I can't claim to have seen it all, in terms of promotional videos. Am I missing something? Has anyone else made a video putting one particular opponent in the bulls eye?

blooter442

Quote from: Falconer on March 08, 2018, 03:25:39 PM
I agree with you about aiming at the big conference rival, lefty, but making such a single-minded video does strike me as different, to say the least. Some time ago there was talk here about the very aggressive video produced by Rowan University. The Lycoming video seems equally aggressive to me, but where Rowan was (sort of) crowning themselves as (hopeful) national champions vs all comers, Lycoming is targeting one team. It's as if Rowan had focused on (say) RU-N or RU-C or Montclair, to the virtual exclusion of everyone else on their schedule.

I can't claim to have seen it all, in terms of promotional videos. Am I missing something? Has anyone else made a video putting one particular opponent in the bulls eye?

Falconer, I have to say that I didn't think it was all that single-minded as far as Messiah's involvement. Sure, it focuses on the conference championship, and makes mention of Messiah losing its only game on Shoemaker this past year, but the way I read these comments I figured that it was a full-blown season review or documentary where the team aimed at Messiah from day one and then rolled the credits after the final whistle of the conference championship, which I would agree would be a bit peculiar as a combination. And while it did do the latter, it was, instead, a 3 1/2-odd minute video that was in my view more about Lycoming overcoming (rhyme unintended) their own doubters after a mediocre season last year. Messiah was definitely acknowledged and present, of course, but I didn't think they were as front-and-center as I expected going into the video. I will agree that the Rowan video was pretty aggressive and that rubbed me the wrong way, but maybe this video is more similar to the Rowan video than I thought. I don't know -- I guess I was just expecting are more "bulls-eye" video based on what I read here.

Regarding the subject matter, there are a number of D3 videos that review grudge matches and contain "locker room talk" (not of the Trumpian variety). The Tufts series from this past year features a review of the Amherst game in which the rivalry is definitely front-and-center and the players give candid accounts of how they feel. Brandeis' trailer of their battle against Emory makes mention of and even features a coach talking about their opponents' (perceived) dismissal of them. A locker room speech to get the guys fired up? Sure, but the point is that these things do exist elsewhere.

As for MAF, I have a feeling that you may have been more involved than simply "stumbling upon" the video. ;)

D3soccerwatcher

This may be my longest drought from the boards but I have been keeping tabs on the recruiting trail for teams around the region and stumbled upon this video for Lycoming.

I imagine this is a recruiting video and it's well done. It is fascinating to see all these schools getting into this sort of tactic with documentaries and filming throughout the season. That has to be attractive if you're a recruit looking at schools. Something as simple as this could be that edge to the overall "WOW" factor these programs are trying to produce.

I found it interesting that a program would devote the overwhelming majority of a "recruiting" video to beating one team in one game.  However, in the 32 times Lycoming has played Messiah, Lycoming has won just 5 times, so I suppose I can somewhat understand why a single win against Messiah would demand the kind of attention given to it in this video.  I do think it underscores the obvious...many teams use Messiah as a measuring stick of where they think they might stand on the national stage...to the point that even a single win might become an internal rallying cry of sorts.

rolldeisroll

Brandeis put out this video before the Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight games, but like it has been said, it wasn't necessarily targeting anyone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5ZWktUVVa8

I don't know how much you want to target a certain team, as it gives them "bulletin board" material, if you know what I mean. I don't see any reason in giving another team more motivation then they already have. Sure, make the video, and distribute it amongst the players to get them hyped up. But no need to give Messiah any MORE reason to get up for next years game.

Mr.Right

Quote from: rolldeisroll on March 09, 2018, 04:27:34 PM
Brandeis put out this video before the Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight games, but like it has been said, it wasn't necessarily targeting anyone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5ZWktUVVa8

I don't know how much you want to target a certain team, as it gives them "bulletin board" material, if you know what I mean. I don't see any reason in giving another team more motivation then they already have. Sure, make the video, and distribute it amongst the players to get them hyped up. But no need to give Messiah any MORE reason to get up for next years game.

Where is the full vid? Is this just a tease or is this it? I will check out the Lycoming 1 now

blooter442

Quote from: Mr.Right on March 12, 2018, 05:54:25 PM
Where is the full vid? Is this just a tease or is this it? I will check out the Lycoming 1 now

I don't know; I was told it was coming soon but that was a while ago. Hope to still see it.

Flying Weasel

I'm a Messiah fan, but I don't see the big deal with the Lycoming video.  The video was made to commemorate their conference championship win, not the season as a whole or even any part of their season. At least that's how I took it. So by definition it is focused on their championship final opponent, Messiah. This was not their season highlight video (that can be found here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU82qM5wn-U). And does anyone know that it is in fact a recruiting video or is that just speculation?  The video was done by a "professional" which doesn't seem to be the case for their season highlight videos, so maybe it was done partially for recruiting purposes. It would be a cool video to show recruits, but who knows if it was produced primarily or solely for that purpose.  (BTW, Lycoming's season highlight videos are posted by one of their asst. coaches--not sure if he's the one who produces them).

Ohh, and that wasn't a payback list on the whiteboard.  They apparently named their season the PAYBACK SEASON, but the list of teams was simply their scheduled opponents from 9/27 through 10/17 (the day when that clip of the video was filmed) and seems to be numbering the victims during their winning streak (which ended that day to Messiah at home). They wouldn't put Widener or Albright on a payback list--they hadn't lost to Widener since 2009, winning the last four encounters, and hadn't lost to Albright in the previous two seasons.

Only watched a little of the Tufts' videos, but it was an interesting glimpse into the life of D-III student-athletes.   If Brandeis ever publishes more to go along with the Believe - Documentary Intro, I will be interested to watch that.

Shooter McGavin

I wouldn't say this is a recruiting video and also not sure what all the hooplah is about. I agree with FW that I don't think it's a knock on Messiah. Looks like the video was filmed over the course of the season so who knows what the angle would have been if the Falcons had won both matches. It does look well done though and I am sure they will use it for recruiting, but I do not think that was the sole purpose of this video. Most recruiting videos we see, like Eastern or Messiah have on their websites, tend to focus on the benefits of the program and why a student-athlete should consider the school. This video has none of those components. 

Mr.Right

Quote from: Shooter McGavin on March 30, 2018, 10:28:27 AM

I wouldn't say this is a recruiting video and also not sure what all the hooplah is about. I agree with FW that I don't think it's a knock on Messiah. Looks like the video was filmed over the course of the season so who knows what the angle would have been if the Falcons had won both matches. It does look well done though and I am sure they will use it for recruiting, but I do not think that was the sole purpose of this video. Most recruiting videos we see, like Eastern or Messiah have on their websites, tend to focus on the benefits of the program and why a student-athlete should consider the school. This video has none of those components.

Agree Shoots....Very well done..I really like that video and thought it was well done. I remember watching that game on the stream and it was pretty entertaining. I forgot how much it was pouring buckets..Good game