FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

New Tradition, theaprof and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

D3MAFAN

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on April 03, 2014, 10:54:08 AM
Out of curiosity, has the gravity of Mount's football program help catapult other athletic programs at Mount Union? I assume everyone knows who Mount Union is in the D3 world, so I was wondering if other athletic programs have experienced similar success on a national level? Or is Mount's football program head and shoulders above the rest of their athletic department.

I can't contest whether Mount Union Football has catapulted other athletic programs, since I have no affiliation. However, talking to many people that have limited knowledge of Division III realm, seem to bring up Mount Union Football majority of the time and still thinks that they have won every national championship since the early 90s. So, I always try to enlighten them that though Mount Union is a juggernaut, there is another school (UW-W) that has went toe to toe with them over the last few years. Now with that being said, the notoriety of Mount Union has been increasing yearly with its continued success, especially with its former players in the N.F.L having success (i.e. Pierre Garcon').

SaintsFAN

What's up friends??  No baby yet.  If no baby by Sunday night, Mrs SaintsFAN is being induced Monday at 2:45 AM.  Hope all is well. 

BTW - no more Bridge Bowl (MSJ clearly outmatched).  The Saints added a road opener at Wesley on September 6th.  Big test for D3's rushing champ from 2013. 
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

02 Warhawk

Quote from: D3MAFAN-MG on April 03, 2014, 11:32:04 AM
Out of curiosity, has the gravity of Mount's football program help catapult other athletic programs at Mount Union? I assume everyone knows who Mount Union is in the D3 world, so I was wondering if other athletic programs have experienced similar success on a national level? Or is Mount's football program head and shoulders above the rest of their athletic department.

I can't contest whether Mount Union Football has catapulted other athletic programs, since I have no affiliation. However, talking to many people that have limited knowledge of Division III realm, seem to bring up Mount Union Football majority of the time and still thinks that they have won every national championship since the early 90s. So, I always try to enlighten them that though Mount Union is a juggernaut, there is another school (UW-W) that has went toe to toe with them over the last few years. Now with that being said, the notoriety of Mount Union has been increasing yearly with its continued success, especially with its former players in the N.F.L having success (i.e. Pierre Garcon').

I just happen to be looking at the past few DIII baseball (Linfield, St. Thomas) and basketball (UWW, Mary Hardin Baylor) championship games. All four of these teams as we know are also football powerhouses. That just got me thinking about Mount's athletic program. I don't hear much of them outside of football. I guess I should pay more attention to sports outside football, basketball and baseball.  :)

rscl70

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on April 03, 2014, 11:44:50 AM

I just happen to be looking at the past few DIII baseball (Linfield, St. Thomas) and basketball (UWW, Mary Hardin Baylor) championship games. All four of these teams as we know are also football powerhouses. That just got me thinking about Mount's athletic program. I don't hear much of them outside of football. I guess I should pay more attention to sports outside football, basketball and baseball.  :)

Mount has competed on the national level in Track & Field since the '60's.  It is arguably the most successful program at the University.  Men's Basketball won the conference this year, but not the tournament.  The team is young, and they have an excellent coach who has turned the program around in three short years.  If coach Fuline and his staff keep up the good work and good recruiting, I believe Men's Basketball will be heard from on the national level very soon.  LK has put a lot of work, as athletic director, into hiring good, young coaches, improving recruiting and generally lifting up all sports at Mt. Union.
12-0 = 13

Dr. Acula

Quote from: rscl70 on April 04, 2014, 02:27:22 PM
Mount has competed on the national level in Track & Field since the '60's.  It is arguably the most successful program at the University.  Men's Basketball won the conference this year, but not the tournament.  The team is young, and they have an excellent coach who has turned the program around in three short years.  If coach Fuline and his staff keep up the good work and good recruiting, I believe Men's Basketball will be heard from on the national level very soon.  LK has put a lot of work, as athletic director, into hiring good, young coaches, improving recruiting and generally lifting up all sports at Mt. Union.

My dad grew up a few blocks from campus and he used to always tell me that.  He'd always say something like "It's hard to believe now, but back in the day Mount was known for track and the big time football program in town was Alliance high school." 

Volleyball is also emerging as a national level program under Coach Swartz who is another young coach.  She's done a great job elevating them to a top 15 program already.  Kevin Lucas had the difficult task of taking over track from Homan after decades and dozens of conference titles and he's shot new life into a tradition-rich track program.   

Dr. Acula

Quote from: Raider 68 on April 03, 2014, 11:27:32 AM
Good question! Mount Union has had success other sports. Track & Field championships both indoor and outdoor have been
at the top both in conference and national placement for 40 + years. Baseball has always been consistently good.
More recently wrestling, basketball has seen success. The men basketball won the conference this past year and
the women have eitherwon the conference or finished strong (except this year) Many of the other sports are up
there in terms of the conference. So, is the football program head and shoulders above all other sports,
Yes on a conference and national level. Mount has won the conference all sports award more recently or finished
in the top 3 for 10 schools. The success of the the football program has elevated the other sports, but you know
who the athletic director is, so it is no surprise that the other sport programs are now winning championships  :) +k good question

As a former baseball guy I wish I could agree with this, but I can't.  Baseball has been consistently decent for a long time.  But definitely not a national level program and honestly not a top OAC program in that time either.  I don't know the answer to this, but my guess is the last 15-20 years they're a .500 team in the OAC.

BrowardRaider

Quote from: Dr. Acula on April 04, 2014, 05:43:21 PM
Quote from: Raider 68 on April 03, 2014, 11:27:32 AM
Good question! Mount Union has had success other sports. Track & Field championships both indoor and outdoor have been
at the top both in conference and national placement for 40 + years. Baseball has always been consistently good.
More recently wrestling, basketball has seen success. The men basketball won the conference this past year and
the women have eitherwon the conference or finished strong (except this year) Many of the other sports are up
there in terms of the conference. So, is the football program head and shoulders above all other sports,
Yes on a conference and national level. Mount has won the conference all sports award more recently or finished
in the top 3 for 10 schools. The success of the the football program has elevated the other sports, but you know
who the athletic director is, so it is no surprise that the other sport programs are now winning championships  :) +k good question

As a former baseball guy I wish I could agree with this, but I can't.  Baseball has been consistently decent for a long time.  But definitely not a national level program and honestly not a top OAC program in that time either.  I don't know the answer to this, but my guess is the last 15-20 years they're a .500 team in the OAC.

Have to agree Dr., Marietta has been consistently the class of the OAC in Baseball, and arguably on the national stage for some time. Mount won their first OAC title since 1970 last year, but they seem to have fallen off a bit this year, anxious to hear how they stack up with Marietta tomorrow afternoon on 23rd Street.

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

Spence

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on April 03, 2014, 11:44:50 AM

I just happen to be looking at the past few DIII baseball (Linfield, St. Thomas) and basketball (UWW, Mary Hardin Baylor) championship games.

Marietta's been in two and won two DIII championship baseball games since the last time St. Thomas was in one. And of course we know Marietta football is not good.

I think for some schools it does matter and for some schools the sheer size and resource base matters. UST is pretty big for a private school and fairly well known in the Twin Cities. Location helps them, as well as their size relative to their DIII "peers". Whitewater of course is a large (especially by D-III standards) state school. I think that makes it easier for them to be good at everything. Mount Union IMO would not be a university if not for its athletics programs -- something like 1/2 of the student body is a varsity athlete. So that makes being good pretty important. In DIII, schools leverage sports in a lot of different ways that makes it hard to generalize.

HScoach

Quote from: SaintsFAN on April 03, 2014, 11:41:36 AM
What's up friends??  No baby yet.  If no baby by Sunday night, Mrs SaintsFAN is being induced Monday at 2:45 AM.  Hope all is well. 

BTW - no more Bridge Bowl (MSJ clearly outmatched).  The Saints added a road opener at Wesley on September 6th.  Big test for D3's rushing champ from 2013.

Status?   Praying mama and baby are OK.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

bleedpurple

Quote from: Kira & Jaxon's Dad on April 10, 2014, 07:57:52 PM
VK tweeted out pic of new Black Jerseys.

http://twitter.com/vkehres/status/454323891075153920/photo/1

I like em. Is it me or does the "Swoosh" just keep bigger and bigger on these jerseys?

Pat Coleman

Quote from: HScoach on April 15, 2014, 09:09:41 PM
Quote from: SaintsFAN on April 03, 2014, 11:41:36 AM

Status?   Praying mama and baby are OK.

Things are looking OK on Facebook. Hopefully not out of line for me to post that.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Raider 68

Wishing all the OAC posters a Happy and Safe Easter! :)
13 time Division III National Champions

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

Reality Check posted this on Facebook.  I hope he doesn't mind that I post it here.

This is why we coach:

http://ruthysimagination.tumblr.com/post/82969865114/laying-foundations
National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

WarhawkDad

Quote from: bleedpurple on April 15, 2014, 11:08:52 PM
Quote from: Kira & Jaxon's Dad on April 10, 2014, 07:57:52 PM
VK tweeted out pic of new Black Jerseys.

http://twitter.com/vkehres/status/454323891075153920/photo/1

I like em. Is it me or does the "Swoosh" just keep bigger and bigger on these jerseys?
Actually they remind me a lot of the UWW jersey's from the 2011 Stagg Bowl.   So, I have to like them!

WHD
Six Time National Champions: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2014

2013  WIAC PICKEM CHAMPION

"Pound The Rock!!!"