MBB: Coast 2 Coast Athletic Conference

Started by Mr. Ypsi, March 27, 2005, 10:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

The guys seems a little tired at the beginning - and Wesley is athletic, they can run with anyone.  They hit all their shots (which is normally their Achilles heel), but at no point did I think CNU wasn't clearly the best team on the floor.  I did think they were going to lose with about ten minutes left - Wesley hit a big shot to go up 13 and the crowd really got into it.  CNU called a TO, which turned into a media timeout (thanks to radio coverage from CNU) and it killed all momentum for Wesley.  CNU calmed down, the coach told the guys he was done yelling, they had to take responsibility for winning or losing the game and they locked in.  Fatigue continued to play a part, but they worked their way back.  Seven seconds to go, CNU traveled - the ref pointed at it, somehow didn't make the call, and it essentially kept Wesley from getting a shot at winning it.  You get those breaks sometimes - all in all, pretty impressive given how much they had to travel and play this week.

I saw St. Thomas at the beginning of the year - I think they're a very similar team, in terms of personnel, to CNU.  I think CNU could be better, although I saw a tired team, so it's tough to judge consistency.  I want to see a little more out of the big men, but this seems to be a team that could make it to Salem - especially given how few other contenders exist on the East Coast this year.  Unless they end up in bracket with some of those Great Lakes teams, they're probably a favorite to make the Final Four.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

MW_Eagles

Hi all, new to this board.   Mary Washington grad and follower.    Looking forward to keeping up with the discussion around the CAC.   As people have noted, really excited about the direction Kahn has the team going in.   Very young team that's probably lost some games they shouldn't have, but have grown throughout the season.   At one point they were starting 3 freshman before Shaw came back.     Heading to the CNU game on Wednesday, I just hope they show up better than the first half last time!  Huge log jam after Salisbury in the standings.  Should be a fun couple of weeks as 3-6 seeds are settled for the tournament. 

Swish3

Wow, CNU snatched another victory from the jaws of defeat...these guys are resilient!  Daly was huge AGAIN...he'll easily be the CAC player of the week.  What's up w/McFarland?  If I remember correctly, he attempted a total of 13 shots over the last three games...he is/was their leading scorer and probably the best shooter in the conference!  I can understand trying to be selective and taking good shots, but that's ridiculous...if it's because teams are playing him tougher, he simply has to work harder to get his looks.  At any rate, fantastic win, Captains!

Nice commentary, Hoops Fan!

Welcome, MW_Eagles...what year did you graduate?  Unlike you, I'd love to see another first half like the one in Fredericksburg ;)...UMW is playing well, so I'm expecting a very tough game.

GO CAPS!

MW_Eagles

Graduated in 1999.   Grew up about a mile from CNU.  Spent many a summer at CJ's basketball camps!

Swish3

Really?  Did you play for the Eagles?  If I had stayed, I would have graduated from Mary Washington in '95, but thank goodness I transferred to CNU! ;D

MW_Eagles

jesskleangda

Welcome aboard MW_Eagles.  You and I are Eagle fans in this forum. 

Very excited about the direction of the Eagles, and their recent surge.  Wednesday will be a good and tough game.  Like you said, the last few weeks are going to be fun.

GO EAGLES.

Swish3

The CNU men remain at #6 in the latest poll, while the women move up five spots from #23 to #18...a couple of big ones tomorrow at the Free against UMW, especially for the women, as the Lady Eagles broke into the poll at #23.

GO CAPS & LADY CAPS!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Swish3

Nice article, Ryan!  I hope both teams can keep it going...

It's GAME DAY!

GO CAPS!

Swish3

I hope McFarland is aggressive and gets his shots off tonight...get after it and finish strong, Captains!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

jmill07

Top 10 team for CNU men, but Captains don't fill the gym.  Only one crowd over 1,000....too many things going on at CNU?

CNU85

Quote from: jmill07 on February 10, 2016, 08:00:17 PM
Top 10 team for CNU men, but Captains don't fill the gym.  Only one crowd over 1,000....too many things going on at CNU?

That's typical at CNU. The first few games don't draw as well. Then, the students are focused on final exams and papers for fall semester. One game was during Thanksgiving break. Then CNU schedules a ton of games over the holidays and in January before classes resume. I think 5 home games were played when there were no classes and the campus was empty. That's half the home games. There was a decent crowd last night. Box score said just over 1,000. Looked more than that to me, but maybe not.