FB: New York State Bowl

Started by Bartman, November 01, 2017, 01:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bartman

Quote from: Caz Bombers on November 13, 2017, 11:33:15 AM
Quote from: Bartman on November 12, 2017, 07:58:49 PM
NYS Bowl is Official:

Cortland St. Red Dragons  vs. The Dutchmen of Union

Liberty League to Crush the E8 , record between leagues is 7-8 so far...a Dutchmen win evens it to 8-8    and next year we get Buff State and will dominate in 2018 ;D

Buffalo State isn't coming on board until 2019.
Caz Bombers,
     Thanks for the correction, my bad.......but hoping for domination in OOC contests in 2018 none the less.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Bengalsrule

Quote from: Caz Bombers on November 13, 2017, 11:33:15 AM
Quote from: Bartman on November 12, 2017, 07:58:49 PM
NYS Bowl is Official:

Cortland St. Red Dragons  vs. The Dutchmen of Union

Liberty League to Crush the E8 , record between leagues is 7-8 so far...a Dutchmen win evens it to 8-8    and next year we get Buff State and will dominate in 2018 ;D

Buffalo State isn't coming on board until 2019.

That is correct !!

Bartman

Good luck to both teams in the Inaugural Bowl.....predicting Union over Cortland 24-21 which will even the LL/E8 results for the year 8-8...hopeful for  Brockport and RPI wins in the NCAA's and if RPI pulls off the big upset, we can have the  NYS Bowl II  ;D
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

D3viewer

Quote from: Bartman on November 17, 2017, 11:41:22 AM
Good luck to both teams in the Inaugural Bowl.....predicting Union over Cortland 24-21 which will even the LL/E8 results for the year 8-8...hopeful for  Brockport and RPI wins in the NCAA's and if RPI pulls off the big upset, we can have the  NYS Bowl II  ;D

Bartman. I like your thinking. I was hoping for NY Bowl 1A this weekend. But alas NCAA travel rules and whatever ( thanks to the excellent explanation/prediction by D3 Sports Guru gordonmann) Brockport hosts a NE school and RPI gets sent to the "dirty south" (well not really, because I guess Delaware is east of the Mason Dixon line even though is appears to be on the same latitudinal plane as MD. I don't really think of Delaware as a southern state, but it's fun to think of Wesley that way, because they are a tough team) And south can be a relative term which it is in this case.
Man, sometimes we sound like a bunch of nerds.
But at the same time while I think RPI/Brockport may have been an ideal first round matchup.  But I think Brockport themselves and maybe even me at this point would rather see a Brockport Wesley second round clash. Wesley as a playoff veteran may look at Brockport as a fly to be swatted as they pursue higher program goals of a National Championship. Brockport is "new money" to them. (Even tho Brockport and Wesley played 6 times in the early/ mid 2000's and they split the games 3-3. Not like Wesley dominated them back then). Brockport certainly has had the coaching and talent to match up evenly with them in the past. Brockport while claiming to have National Championship aspirations, really would need to start the ball by knocking off a perennial and well respected eastern Power first.

fisheralum91

That sounds eerily like when Fisher played (and thoroughly dominated) Rowan.
Rowan was the beast of the east and in order for the new guard to go thru- It had to be thru them....Albeit in the comfy confines of Growney.

UfanBill

Quote from: fisheralum91 on November 17, 2017, 12:32:00 PM
That sounds eerily like when Fisher played (and thoroughly dominated) Rowan.
Rowan was the beast of the east and in order for the new guard to go thru- It had to be thru them....Albeit in the comfy confines of Growney.

St.John Fisher played and dominated "the beast of the East" Rowan ONCE in 2006(arguably your best team ever). That was the only time they played so there's not a lot to go on there. D3viewer is referring to a time when Brockport and Wesley were members of the same league, the ACFC. Wesley has taken the role of beast from Rowan recently.
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

UfanBill

Talking about tomorrow's inaugural New York State Bowl...these games can be tricky to predict. Are Cortland or Union really committed to giving their best effort? They're both coming of disappointing rivalry game losses. Speaking for the Dutchmen, they've had three tough games in a row, Hobart, Ithaca and RPI. They haven't really showed me the emotion or spirit I'd like to see so will they be up for Cortland? Defensively they have played well but the offense has been stagnant. Much of that can be attributed to the great D played by their opponents but I worry that they again will be challenged to score points. Ithaca threw the ball with great success against Cortland last week. Union will have to step up their passing attack to do the same. The weather may be nasty so whose O-line plays the best will be crucial. Will either team be playing a lot of younger players to gauge what they'll have next season? Union has used many freshmen a lot already and starting QB Nick Cascione has another year but it wouldn't be a surprise if coach Behrman looks at other QBs. The team that can get fired up to play, will win.  Since Union's home I'm with Bartman on this, a 3 point Union victory... 13-10.  It probably won't be pretty.
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

dlippiel

So as dlip sits in NJ at his daughter's cheer competition his thoughts are wondering to Frank Bailey field where he would have had his and rlip's chairs out by now for at least an hour. Dlip doesn't really know what to think about today's match-up against Cortland. He'll just mirror UfanBill's thoughts and go with a 3 point win only he'll say it can go either way. Like UfanBill said much will depend on who wants to be here and who is motivated to get the W. dlip thinks the young Dutchmen may have more to play for (still trying to prove they are back for good) but one never knows.

Regarding the QB situation at Union there is certainly a lot to think about. To dlip JR Nick Cascione has overachieved this year but the seemingly very talented Frosh Will Bellemy sits patiently waiting to sow his stuff. Great question UfanBill. Dlip wishes he was there to watch with you pal.

Bartman

Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

Bombers798891

Quote from: Bartman on November 18, 2017, 01:42:07 PM
What happened to the Dutchmen?  :o

I mean, Cortland's pretty good. In many ways, this is kind of what you'd expect from a team like Union that's rebuilding. They went 7-4, but they lost to the toughest teams on their schedule—Hobart excepted. Reminds me a bit of the first year Alfred showed up on the radar, in 2004. They went 8-3, but lost to the top three teams in the conference. You could see the pieces, but they weren't all in place.

Bartman

Quote from: Bombers798891 on November 20, 2017, 09:59:42 AM
Quote from: Bartman on November 18, 2017, 01:42:07 PM
What happened to the Dutchmen?  :o

I mean, Cortland's pretty good. In many ways, this is kind of what you'd expect from a team like Union that's rebuilding. They went 7-4, but they lost to the toughest teams on their schedule—Hobart excepted. Reminds me a bit of the first year Alfred showed up on the radar, in 2004. They went 8-3, but lost to the top three teams in the conference. You could see the pieces, but they weren't all in place.
All true.. my post was when Union was behind 28-7 and it looked hopeless, they scratched back, so good sign for Union's attitude.....Cortland offense was solid, so no surprise there ....I was hoping for an 8-8 with the E8, but 6-8 with the best team in Brockport getting 3 of the E8 wins  is decent....I think the LL and E8 will be fairly even next year...we will see...I guess the NYS Bowl will continue
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

ITH radio

If Hobart beats SLU I think you see them at Cortland on 11/17 b/c IC takes the ECAC bid having already played them (like what happened in 2017).
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

Bartman

Quote from: ITH radio on November 06, 2018, 12:10:35 PM
If Hobart beats SLU I think you see them at Cortland on 11/17 b/c IC takes the ECAC bid having already played them (like what happened in 2017).
Outside chance IC gets a Pool C by beating Cortland or does Muhlenberg have it? If IC does not make dance, I would think  they go for ECAC as you suggest. A Cortland -Hobart game would be awesome for Hobart to really measure where they have come since the drubbing by Bport in first week. They have to beat SLU though, who seems to have improved over the season.  If Hobart loses they finish 4-5 and 2-3 in the LL.  It would be the first losing season since Coach Cragg's first year in 1995. No pressure on DeWall :o.
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

Oline89

Quote from: Bartman on November 07, 2018, 10:46:58 AM
Outside chance IC gets a Pool C by beating Cortland or does Muhlenberg have it? If IC does not make dance, I would think  they go for ECAC as you suggest. A Cortland -Hobart game would be awesome for Hobart to really measure where they have come since the drubbing by Bport in first week. They have to beat SLU though, who seems to have improved over the season.  If Hobart loses they finish 4-5 and 2-3 in the LL.  It would be the first losing season since Coach Cragg's first year in 1995. No pressure on DeWall :o.

I hope Hobart has a short memory, last week ended on a very sour note.  This young team has started to really come together the last 4 weeks (despite the results on the scoreboard). I also am looking forward to seeing a little more of our Freshman QB on the field, not sure if Hoffman's shoiulder is still injured, but he didn't have the zip on the ball that he has had in other games.  Cortland-Hobart would be a great match up

ITH radio

Quote from: Bartman on November 07, 2018, 10:46:58 AM
I don't think IC will get a Pool C - field is too full this season for a 2 loss team. I do see them being a host for one of the ECAC bowl games, as they have a bid in and are probably the best team on that board (at least based on who's likely available after Wk 11).
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle