MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UPSoundLogs

Tuxguy,

I appreciate you throwing a little Karma my way, I feel much better about myself going into the holiday season...did I mention Linfield is great at bask...I mean Football  ;).  Can I have some more karma for the compliment?  Geez, I can't wait to have that kind of power.

Merry Xmas!!! 
I just stare at my desk, but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch too, I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

bucs77

Haha
I'm with you Sound,  I'm gonna start posting like a mad man.  And anybody who is looking for a last minute gift idea for me.  I'd like some Karma with a side of Karma.

Pat Coleman

Wow -- just checked back into this board for the first time in a couple weeks (been busy with the Stagg Bowl) and was surprised to see what is basically whining about a jump in the poll by Whitworth that makes the entire conference look good.

UPS fans -- lose the sour grapes. Beat Whitworth.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

UPSoundLogs

hmmmmmmmmmm....I'm pretty sure if you looked closely you would see that most everyone has expressed their happiness for two ranked NWC teams.  I know this guy is!
I just stare at my desk, but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch too, I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

Gilbert McFinnegan

Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 21, 2006, 04:07:08 AM
Wow -- just checked back into this board for the first time in a couple weeks (been busy with the Stagg Bowl) and was surprised to see what is basically whining about a jump in the poll by Whitworth that makes the entire conference look good.

REALLY, PAT??? ???.....

Quote from: Gilbert McFinnegan on December 06, 2006, 12:05:59 AM
I am not complaining too much though, I am all for respect for the NWC on the national level even if the logic behind it may seem a little off.
Quote from: Gilbert McFinnegan on December 06, 2006, 07:46:03 PM
I hate to do this as I am a NWC fan and want to see the conference succeed on the national scene.   However, this is a discussion board so let's discuss.
Quote from: UPSoundLogs on December 07, 2006, 12:03:20 PM
I think Gil has a legit point in questioning how Whitworth could have possibly jumped 10 spots in one week ??? I'm also pretty confused on how that could have happened ???  However, I'm all for the NWC having success on the national level (yes, even if it is WW)...and I think G Sager had a clear cut explaination that makes good sense, his use of the word "fluidity" in discribing the young seasons rankings really topped it off for me, I just can't argue with that.

Pat, Pat, Pat,  Someone may be jumping the gun and getting a little sensitive....maybe a little authorship pride regarding their top 25 poll?? I cannot lie, I expected a little more from the "D3sports.com Guru Administrator All American," with 5 Stars I might add.

I just want to say on behalf of the whining side of the discussion board, we love the poll as it gives us something else to discuss.  We did not mean for the discussion about it to get to you.

In fact, I like it so much that if I was able to, I would give you 1000+ Pixie Dust or Karma or whatever it is people can give each other if having sufficient posts.  So since I cannot I will give you this:

To: Pat Coleman

+10,000 Lucky Charms

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

(Hope this makes you feel better!!)
But please take my comments with a grain of salt...I am only Junior Varsity.

UPSoundLogs

Pat,

Seeing how I have -karma and it is the holiday season I was wondering if you could share some of the +10,000 Lucky Charms that Gil just gifted to you.  I know its a lot to ask and Lucky Charms are very hard to come by, but I figured it couldn't hurt to try.  After all you do have +10,000 Lucky Charms!!!  PLEEEEEAAAAASE?

UPSoundLogs

After being down by twenty at halftime the loggers somehow fought their way back to win by 6 in OT against Chapman.  I wasn't at the game so I wouldn't know, but that couldn't have been pretty to watch.  On a positive note, they did complete a 3-0 Cali trip that puts them in great shape to return to conference play. 

I've noticed around the league that WU got back on track with a couple nice wins, Whitworth has stayed right where they were(having played only 1 game and winning), Whitman got a great win against Biola a very good NIAI 1 team for there first win of the season ???, GFU dropped a couple, and PLU dropped back down to earth with a couple losses after there 4-0 start (it was only a matter of time :D). 

I don't know about the rest of you on this board but I'm ready to watch some more NWC games, its been a long break.

Merry Xmas

P.S. All I want for xmas is a better karma rating and some +Lucky Charms from P Coleman!

Pat Coleman

I'm just pointing out that in most conferences this wouldn't be a sour grapes situation -- the ones who are a little more experienced in Division III realize that having a team in the poll is a good thing.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

pineconefan

Impressive win for the Loggers last night, coming back from 20 points down on the road.  I am guessing that Chapman gained an early advantage by scouting the ULV and Whittier games and working up a good game plan.  But they couldn't handle the pressure for all 40 minutes, it just wears most teams down.

It's going to be a heck of a race this year.

Still trying to figure out Pacific.  Part of being a young team, but they handled CLU easily on the road, then lost at La Sierra.
"A foolish man is no more unhappy than an illiterate horse." - Erasmus

Gilbert McFinnegan

Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 22, 2006, 01:45:19 PM
I'm just pointing out that in most conferences this wouldn't be a sour grapes situation -- the ones who are a little more experienced in Division III realize that having a team in the poll is a good thing.

Pat-

Wait a minute....you are telling me the Top 25 poll estimates how good at basketball one D3 team is relative to all others because of the impossibility of every team playing one another in aims of truly defining a teams standing based on record alone? And in following your logic, with 1 being the best ranking in the Top 25, for Whitworth to be in the 8 position would suggest that they are good; since WW is in the NWC that would suggest that the NWC is good, and despite D3 tournament selections to be supposedly "objective," based on conference title, in region D3 competition, and other D3 competition, for the NWC conference to be suggested as "good" by the D3hoops.com Top 25 poll would weigh in heavily on the selection committees conscience in selecting at large bids, possibly giving the NWC a better shot at one of those bids (Even though in the end, dollars tend to dictate those type of decisions)........

Oh okay, thanks Pat.  I was sitting in my cave here in the Northwest, new to the whole horseless carriage, talking box, fire stick, and Division 3 hoops thing, lost in a fast paced world trying to find my way west in hopes of more fertile land.  Somehow I became misguided along the way and was under the impression the Top 25 was a beauty contest and was angry that my boys down in Pacific were not getting there just dues because they had been doing their calf raises all Summer...

HOWEVER, because of you Pat, and your clarity, I am now ahead of my time, as are all of us NWC "newbies."  It should have taken us at least 20 more years to reach this epiphany, realizing that NWC teams in the Top 25 are good for the entire conference.  So on behalf of all NWC posters:  Thank You Pat!!!!

And for your efforts: +500 Lucky Charms

(Read Reply #531; If you are going to read this board, please do it with at least some level of detail. There are no sour grapes about WW's ranking and are clearly overall happy with it...We just felt like DISCUSSING the mystical 10 spot jump)

Pat Coleman

Quote from: UPSoundLogs on December 07, 2006, 12:03:20 PM
I think Gil has a legit point in questioning how Whitworth could have possibly jumped 10 spots in one week ??? I'm also pretty confused on how that could have happened ??? 

Despite other parts of this post that try to back away from that, this is what I was referring to as sour grapes. It smacks of a UPS fan jealous that Whitworth got a big bump in the poll.

If I could get through the first graf of your post, Gilbert, I might respond, but I suppose it's not worthy trying to decipher.

And yes, I read 531. Hope you understand that I am citing my sources here.

UPSoundLogs

HaHaHaHaHa :D

I think P Coleman needs to be introducted to Quoting 101.  Your last post is hilarious buddy, I love your interpretations.

I might as well have said...

George W. Bush is and idiot, he hasn't done a single good thing since he has been in office!  His father however, is a great man!

Pat would interpret this quote as...

George W. Bush... is a great man!

Pat would think...

Geez, UPSoundlogs must really love George W. Bush! :D

My point is...It's pretty easy to prove your right when you only take a piece of the puzzle, good try though P, I like your style.  Maybe you should run for president some day! :D

Whatever Pat wants to see through his "Pat Goggles" thats fine with me. I'm all for Whitworth being in the top ten, I love that the NWC is getting more respect nationally with two teams in the top 25 and I can't wait for WW and UPS to meet in Conference, it's gonna be a great game!  However, I'm never gonna stop supporting UPS and debating back and forth with other NWC fans on the board.  It's all in good fun...as long as you don't take it too seriously.

Merry Xmas!

Pat Coleman

Hmm, no, I took words that you said consecutively. I didn't chop you up to make you say something you didn't. Now, if you didn't mean what you said, perhaps it would have been wise to not have said it.

UPSoundLogs

"Now, if you didn't mean what you said, perhaps it would have been wise to not have said it." -Pcoleman

YIKES!!! Don't take yourself so seriously buddy! ;D SMILE!!! 

Are you gonna tell me not to chew with my mouth full next?

It's OK to not have anything of value to say.  Just go ahead...take a deep breath... and avoid the erge to post it.  You don't need to leave a life leason for me on this message board.   This is a basketball site, the last thing I need is the P-Man(my personal posting hero ;)) acting like a scolding school marm.  I could go to Catholic bording school if I wanted that!

Now get back out there and post like the champion I know you are!

Pat, be all that you can be!!! I believe in you ;D

Gilbert McFinnegan

Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 22, 2006, 07:08:26 PM
If I could get through the first graf of your post, Gilbert, I might respond, but I suppose it's not worthy trying to decipher.

WOOH WOOH WOOH...the fun police have struck again!!

Pat has blessed our board!!!

I am not going to lie, my vocabulary did not extend to the eloquence of the word graf, so I was forced to look it up on dictionary.com:

Graf   (grāf, gräf)  Pronunciation Key     
German tennis player who in 1988 won the Grand Slam (Wimbledon, French, U.S., and Australian titles) and an Olympic gold medal.

Either way, I will take it in context and assume you meant graf to be something confusing or unclear.  Well Pat, that entire first portion of my post was a sarcastic way of conveying that it is silly of you to think that we over in the NWC do not have an adequate understanding of the D3 system, and where your Top 25 poll fits into the "big picture," simply because we are relatively new to D3.  We understand quite well how things work and over the past 6 years, enjoyed seeing LC, WW, and especially UPS take strides in putting our conference consistently on the national stage.  Now that we are on the poll (insert Taladega Nights joke here), we just felt compelled to take a critical perspective, instead of throwing a party because Pat Coleman's D3hoops poll mentioned our conference (that was hinted with sarcasm just to be clear).

Nice analogy, UPSoundLogs, but I think you should run for President against Pat.

Not impressed with this round Pat.....+0 Lucky Charms

I really think you should hang it up on this issue....you are just not going to win.