WBB: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 17, 2005, 02:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chemprof

Thundercat, if one of your "holy trinity" doesn't win the tourney, it's clear which will not go on.

thundercat

Wow, chemprof, I sense a little bitterness!  Maybe it is jealousy.  At any rate, I would love to know which one you feel wouldn't go on!

chemprof

I simply serve as a mirror, reflecting what others percieve as reality.  The answer lies within yourself.

Ralph Turner

Congratulations to MC's Lacey Kennedy, and to UMHB's Kevin Guyden, Jostens nominees!

dballa

New South Region Rankings -

1    Howard Payne    23-1    24-1
2    McMurry    21-3    22-3
3    Randolph-Macon    20-3    21-4
4    Oglethorpe    18-4    19-6
5    Hardin-Simmons    19-4    20-4
6    Maryville (Tennessee)    17-3    21-4

dballa

Did anybody watch "NCAA On Campus" today on ESPN Classics? Just curious as to how the show about the HPU ladies went.  I'm recording it and will get to watch it later after work.

Bench Coach

Ralph - this is my last comment on the whole thing, what does it matter who I am and if it is credited.  To me it doesn't matter what people think about my opinion, because that is what it is, my opinion.

Best of luck to all the teams in bwood! 

fanstand

My take on today's talk.....I know when McMurry hosted the regional tourney last year, the NCAA was strict on several rules about the host team being "unbiased" at the microphone and other things, so who knows if there will be some sort of seating rule? I think if enough students were to get there early and sit on the bleachers during their team's game, it shouldn't create a problem. This is America. And bench coach, I don't care if you wish to remain anonymous, I don't know who half these people are on this board anyway and don't really worry about it.  Keep posting your opinions. The pressure to be conference champs is on all eight teams.  Who doesn't want it? Of course HPU wants to do well at home, McM wants to defend it's title, and HSU wants it back. ETBU worries me, they are hungry I'm sure, and want to prove they can play as well as anyone. It's gonna be a battle any way you look at it.  I just think the tournament atmosphere can't be compared to the regular season. It is SO much better. Go LIB. It's yours for the taking......................

Pat Coleman

The NCAA is not running the ASC tournament, however.

It depends, I guess, on how much the conference office wants to exert control over its event. Because it IS a conference event. HPU is just hosting.

Rest assured that if Brownwood Coliseum hosts a regional, those seats cannot be set aside solely for HPU students.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: fanstand on February 22, 2007, 12:08:04 AM
... The pressure to be conference champs is on all eight teams.  Who doesn't want it? Of course HPU wants to do well at home, McM wants to defend it's title, and HSU wants it back. ETBU worries me, they are hungry I'm sure, and want to prove they can play as well as anyone. ...

And Miss College would love to send Lacey Kennedy to the NCAA's just once.  UMHB is getting closer all of the time.  Finally, we have Cinderellas coming from UT-D and Ozarks.  :)

Scratch

Quote from: mcmfan on February 19, 2007, 02:00:07 PM
HPU CUA +31    HSU CUA +40         McM CUA +22
HPU UMHB +7   HSU UMHB +28       McM UMHB +8
HPU SU +61      HSU SU +31           McM SU +26
HPU TLU +47    HSU TLU +53          McM TLU +27

calhsu:
By the numbers, I'd say HSU is going to win.  I've added McM's point spreads for the four schools I compared earlier.  Which team is winning by the highest margin on most of the games?  As a McM fan, I don't like the numbers, and obviously it's the job of the coaches and players to figure out how to turn them around at game time.  But that's the number count as it stands now.

Just to bring the topic back up...

If we are going to talk margins, let's look at the Scoring margin per game.  This stat includes both the offense and defense as well as consistency over the season.  Stretching, you could also use it as an indicator of dept since really large spreads are typical of a blow out and extended bench playing time. You can do the math, but to save you the trouble of grabbing that calculator, let me do it:

HPU = 31.3/game  (#1 in the nation by the way)
HSU = 20.5/game  (normalized to 270 fewer for a 25 game season)
McM = 16.3/game  (normalized to 375 fewer for a 25 game season)
ETBU = 12.0/game  (normalized to 482.5 fewer for a 25 game season)
Man walk on road. Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk down middle, sooner or later, get squished just like grape. -Miyagi

dballa

Well I watched the ESPN show about the Lady Jackets and I was very impressed.  They even showed a brief history of HPU.

About the seating I know they've talked about splitting up the bottom section to suit both teams playing so we'll see if they actually will do so.

The way I feel about it is if you can't win in that kind of environment you don't deserve to move on.   Winning in that kind of situation only makes you stronger and more prepared for playoff games down the road. 

CUAfan

True enough, buy isn't the ASC Tourney supposed to be (ideally, anyway) more of a neutral site event? Now, I know that home-court advantage is HPU's reward for winning hosting rights, but if you want to find out who's better, you let it be played as if at a neutral site as much as possible...at least to my way of thinking.
Let's go 'Nados!

mcmfan

Scratch —
These are interesting figures.  It seems to me the main qualification would be that they are averages for the whole season, so that they mask changes in margins over time.  In other words, I'd say that they make HPU look stronger than they really are at the present time, and HSU weaker, because HPU's high point spreads at the start of the season mask the fact that in the last few games they and HSU have been about even in point spreads or HSU has even had an advantage.
This weekend will be an interesting reality check on all these figures and speculations!
Alacumba!

McM93

Quote from: mcmfan on February 22, 2007, 11:24:53 AM
Scratch —
These are interesting figures.  It seems to me the main qualification would be that they are averages for the whole season, so that they mask changes in margins over time.  In other words, I'd say that they make HPU look stronger than they really are at the present time, and HSU weaker, because HPU's high point spreads at the start of the season mask the fact that in the last few games they and HSU have been about even in point spreads or HSU has even had an advantage.
This weekend will be an interesting reality check on all these figures and speculations!

Wasn't one of HPU's big point spreads against ETBU?