World Cup and European leagues

Started by Jim Matson, June 11, 2006, 12:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Matson

Does the USA have a chance this time?!
Managing Editor, D3soccer.com

Ralph Turner

Hiker Jim, when I found this message board, your posting number was at "666".

That is a strange convergence.

I was impressed with the way that the Ivory Coast took it to the Argentinians.  They never let up!

Thanks for moderating the Soccer Board! :)

Pat Coleman

It wasn't just Trinidad, it was also Tobago. Interesting day.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Hiker Jim on June 11, 2006, 12:00:45 AM

Jim,

Anywhere from 3-and-out and winning it all would not shock me.  I'd certainly prefer they WIN pool E, 'cause playing the Brazilians too early can't be good!

Totally a gut hunch, but I think they'll take Croatia on Monday.

Jim Matson

After watching England (unimpressive play, at best) and hearing about Sweden, maybe  we have a first round with some serious upset potential.
Managing Editor, D3soccer.com

David Collinge

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 11, 2006, 12:37:33 AM
Quote from: Hiker Jim on June 11, 2006, 12:00:45 AM

Jim,

Anywhere from 3-and-out and winning it all would not shock me.  I'd certainly prefer they WIN pool E, 'cause playing the Brazilians too early can't be good!

Totally a gut hunch, but I think they'll take Croatia on Monday.

???

If the "they" is Brazil, the match is Tuesday; if it's the USA, they're playing the Czech Republic Monday.

I don't think the USA has enough firepower to advance, but the group results depend more on how well the Azzuri play than anything else.  Italy could get 9 points, or let their many distractions affect their play and go out early.  It should be interesting to watch.

Mr. Ypsi

Oops, sorry for the brain-fart - I meant the Czechs, though their 6'8" striker is gonna be a serious challenge.

Gray Fox

Quote from: Ralph Turner on June 11, 2006, 12:12:31 AM
Hiker Jim, when I found this message board, your posting number was at "666".

Thanks for moderating the Soccer Board! :)

That must mean it will be a hell of a good board. ;)
Fierce When Roused

cawcdad

Good tournament so far. I've watched 6 of the eight games.

Netherlands didn't finish well, but with their ball control and the defense they played today, one goal is all they need. Looking forward to Netherlands v. Argentina

All the goals in the Mexico - Iran game were pretty. How tough must it be for Sanchez to bury his father on this past Wednesday and then return for the tournament?

Haven't wached the Portugal - Angola game yet. Have it on tape.

Predictions for Tomorrow:
Socceroos 2 - Japan 1
Azzuri 2 - Ghana 0
USA 1 - Czech Republic 0

Mr. Ypsi

I'll agree with you on the USA-CR game (I'll even agree on the margin), but I can't see the CR shutting down so (almost) totally Beasley, Donovan, McBride, etc., and their 6'8" striker (whose name escapes me at the moment) scares the s*** out of me - I'll call it 3-2, USA.

IF we are right in this prediction, I'm fairly confident we will advance.  But I sure would like a victory also over Italy - otherwise we may escape Group E, but would likely face Brazil in round 2!

mybleedinghands

given that the czech epublic is getting old and slow, has a ton of injuries, and has some defensive problems and italy also has a ton of injuries, i would consider it a failure if the US failed to advance out of group play.

the US has a defender in Oguchi Onyewu thats the huge than can contain the 6'8" guy. He's considered the most intimidating defender in the whole World Cup, being 6'5" and weghing 216 lbs. By the way, Czech Republic lost to the Netherlands is qualifying 2-0 and Romanio 3-0 and Jan Koller (the 6'8" guy) didn't do anything. He did have 9 goals in qualifying, but they all came against pretty bad teams and hes struggling to come off knee surgery.

On the other hand, US only lost one game in qualifying to #4 ranked Mexico 2-1 then revenged the lost 2-0. Also beat the Cinderella Trinidad and Tobago! US also had 8 shutouts in qualifying, and our goalie Kasey Keller is considered to be one of the best in the world!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

How about them Aussie's.  Maybe if they didn't have a part-time coach, they would have figured out earlier that the Japanese offense wasn't good enough to counter well and put three forwards in from the start.

Can we beat the Czechs?  Yes, most definately!  Are their injry reports overrated?  Yes; most everyone will be fit and on the pitch!  Will we beat the Czechs?  I honestly don't see how, but I have to say Yes because this would give us the easiest path into the next round!

We're going to have to score two though; I doubt we hold them scoreless.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I'm not sure if this topic is old yet or not, but since I just found the board I have to say it.

Have you ever seen a top-tier team miss so many crosses as England did in the first match?  I mean how can all of those guys be so bad at lobbing the ball accross the pitch with any accuracy?  No one could hit anywhere close to the targets the whole match.  And Beckham, the only one who can pass with any accuracy, decided to run from the ball like a 2nd grade girl in gym class.  Unbelieveable.  I still have them winning the whole thing though.  Sven will get it worked out; they have enough bench guys to compensate for the prima-donas.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Pat Coleman

As the father of a second-grade girl, I am offended. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

mybleedinghands

The US is currently down 3-0.  The US looks just flat our horrible.  Too many mistakes on defense. Terrible passing. They don't look like they have any idea what the hell they are doing on offense. I know that sometimes you have to pass backwards to go forwards, but you arent going to ever win if you keep passing backwards 90% of the time.  WHen they did have good opportunities to score, they mae completely idiotic poasses or didn't apss when they should. This looked more like the 1990 USA team that got their ass kicked rather than the 5th ranked USA team of this year.